much likedManannan Mac LirFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: My quiz question was rejected
1261. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 15:58:40
I am confused.

My Question was

Which European country first gave women the vote in national elections?

England
France
Isle of Man
Germany

I got the reply

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

But I do not understand why? The Answer I believe is neither ambiguous nor wrong. This seems to be the right place to question this - so I am doing so. If I am posting in the wrong area please forgive me.

Oh and it was first rejected because I spelt national wrong - which I completely understood and corrected before submitting it for a second time.
A hozzászólást Manannan Mac Lir módosította 2010.12.14. 16:16:47-kor
Pontszám: 5
much likedLydonB
Végzetúr poronty
266 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1262. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 16:29:00
Perhaps it should be "the right to vote"?
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1263. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 16:53:08
Because it has been marked as a Bad question I will have to wait to answer another 8 quiz questions to be allowed to resubmit it if that is the case....

Is there an option to run questions past the evaluators - or at least to find out what they object to in a question?

Could it be that the evaluator is under the mistaken belief that the Isle of Man is part of England? I know people sometimes make that error? Or thinks I should have said United Kingdom rather than England?

For the avoidance of doubt the Isle of Man is NOT part of Great Britian, or of the United Kingdom and nor is it part of the European Union.
A hozzászólást Manannan Mac Lir módosította 2010.12.14. 16:58:33-kor
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1264. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 17:05:37 (Válasz Manannan Mac Lir #1263 hozzászólására.)
I think the problem with this question is that Isle of Man is not a country (nor has been in 1881). You can change the question to: "Which european self-governing dependent territory first gave women the vote in national elections?". However I am almost certain it would be a bit too specific.
The answer to your question defined as you written it is Finland.
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1265. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 17:12:09
Hum - I am Manx - we operate as a country. We have our own parliament / government (the oldest continuous one in the world at that) and laws, our own currency, flag, national anthem etc. We are not represented in any other countries democratic institutions.

However if the evaluator is rejecting the existence of my country could he not say that rather than just reject the question and remove my ability to resubmit?
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1266. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 17:25:03 (Válasz Manannan Mac Lir #1265 hozzászólására.)
Despite of all that facts (including the fact that on your passport is written "Isle of Man" and that you operate as a country) your place of birth is not a country. The reason for it is that: As a Crown Dependency, it is subordinate to the government of the United Kingdom, which rarely intervenes in the domestic affairs of the isle.
Here is the complete list of currently existing countries:
http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1267. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 17:36:59
I do not agree BUT I would work with that assumption if that is the one made on this board.

However how on earth am I supposed to know that from the information I am given in response to my question? I have found the other thread and seen where it was rejected for my mis-spelling of national but there is still no official word on why the question was rejected when the spelling mistake was corrected. Should it not have been rejected completely the first time if the whole basis of it was unacceptable rather than just for spelling?
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1268. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 18:10:07 (Válasz Manannan Mac Lir #1267 hozzászólására.)
There is many evaluators Manannan Mac Lir (I really like this nickname ). They need only one reason to reject a question. Even if you resubmit it again someone may find another reason to reject it. The evaluators are not responsible for giving you a direct reasoning for rejection. All you can do is keep on trying.
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1269. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 18:30:23
Manannan mac Lir = the Celtic God of the Sea who according to legend created the Isle of Man :-)

So it is possible that another evaluator might have accepted my question having the same understanding that I do?

Maybe I should have said

‘Which constituent part of the British Isles first gave the vote to women in ‘national’ elections?’

England
Scotland
Eire
Isle of Man

Would that have been acceptable do you think?
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1270. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 18:41:50 (Válasz Manannan Mac Lir #1269 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Manannan Mac Lir - 2010.12.14. 18:30:23
Manannan mac Lir = the Celtic God of the Sea who according to legend created the Isle of Man :-)

I know that

So it is possible that another evaluator might have accepted my question having the same understanding that I do?

Possible? Yes, but very unlikely. It is not about understanding but a fact. It is a fact that Isle of Man is not a country and it has nothing to do with your "understanding". If an evaluator would make the same assumptions as you he/she could evaluate is as a correct question.

Maybe I should have said

‘Which constituent part of the British Isles first gave the vote to women in ‘national’ elections?’

England
Scotland
Eire
Isle of Man

Would that have been acceptable do you think?

It could be accepted but if I were the evaluator (I am not) I would reject it due to too specific knowledge.
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1271. hozzászólás - 2010.12.14. 18:49:53
I dispute your 'fact' but hey you can still visit us.

http://www.gov.im/isleofman/facts.xml

will show you if you would be allowed to stay. English people need to have a work permit if they want to take up any form of employment though.
A hozzászólást Manannan Mac Lir módosította 2010.12.14. 18:52:36-kor
Pontszám: 7.50
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1272. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 05:43:28 (Válasz Manannan Mac Lir #1271 hozzászólására.)
I evaluated it the first time (the spelling was mentioned at my rejected questions topic also) I was a bit sceptic about the Isle of Man mentioned as a country but after searching a bit it does not sound as a wrong way to put it.

1. The island is not a member of the European Union, UK is
2. The island is not part of the United Kingdom, but its foreign relations and defence are the responsibility of the UK Government.
3. The island's own parliament and government have competence over all domestic matters
4. It issues its own notes, although the currency is the pound sterling

All these makes calling it a country quite ok by my opinion. If the evaluator of the second time cares to clarify it would be even more enlightening

And Petel87, knowing which was the first country to give women a right to vote is hardly specific knowleadge!
A hozzászólást stekkos módosította 2010.12.15. 05:45:43-kor
Végzetúr poronty
51 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1273. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 09:20:58 (Válasz stekkos #1272 hozzászólására.)
Thanks for your comments.

I am proud that my 'country' was the first to give women the vote and wanted to celebrate it in a question
A hozzászólást Manannan Mac Lir módosította 2010.12.15. 09:21:25-kor
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1274. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 13:38:29 (Válasz stekkos #1272 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.12.15. 05:43:28

And Petel87, knowing which was the first country to give women a right to vote is hardly specific knowleadge!

I know but please notice that I was refering to this question formed this way: ‘Which constituent part of the British Isles first gave the vote to women in ‘national’ elections?’
Pontszám: 3
much likedTheLion
Végzetúr poronty
123 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1275. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 14:40:54
help me out here...

In financial terms, a 30/360 accrual basis represents...

30 days per month, 360 days per year
30 basis points per 360 thousand dollars
30 divided by 360
absolutely nothing!

Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

What is mispelled?
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1276. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 16:30:39 (Válasz TheLion #1275 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: TheLion - 2010.12.15. 14:40:54
In financial terms, a 30/360 accrual basis represents...
absolutely nothing!

What is mispelled?

Stekkos posted about this one already. Any form of "none of these" will cause your question to get rejected. The spelling status is just so you don't get docked a question.
Pontszám: 3
much likedChaoticGeminiNő
Végzetúr poronty
583 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1277. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 17:58:34 (Válasz Manannan Mac Lir #1261 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Manannan Mac Lir - 2010.12.14. 15:58:40
I am confused.

My Question was

Which European country first gave women the vote in national elections?

England
France
Isle of Man
Germany

I got the reply

Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

But I do not understand why? The Answer I believe is neither ambiguous nor wrong. This seems to be the right place to question this - so I am doing so. If I am posting in the wrong area please forgive me.

Oh and it was first rejected because I spelt national wrong - which I completely understood and corrected before submitting it for a second time.

I guess, I received your question the 2nd time. I rejected it as wrong because, as it is written, every source I could find pointed to Finland. Some sites even used the exact same words you did.

Edit: An odd coincidence is that the second question I ever tried submitting to the database was "What was the first country to give all women an unrestricted right to vote?" and it was rejected as too special.
A hozzászólást ChaoticGemini módosította 2010.12.15. 18:02:23-kor
Pontszám: 7.50
irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1278. hozzászólás - 2010.12.15. 19:34:23
"Many people would sooner ___ than think; in fact, they do so." (famous quote by Bertrand Russel).

die <--- correct
smoke
eat
shout

Anyone care to point out the problem, please?
public enemyV3nG3nC3XFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
54 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1279. hozzászólás - 2010.12.16. 02:40:55
Which one of these actually exist?

Santa Claus
Easter Bunny
Scooby Doo
Mylo-Hyoid

According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

Can anyone tell me where the ambigous section is in this question. I thought it would be easy with correct spelling, 2 fairy tale characters and a cartoon dog that should narrow the answer down to the anatomical part of the human body. I'm just asking, if I get a stupid answer or one that makes no sense, please stand by for some questions.
Trust is a knife given as a gift but felt being returned it in your back later. Pull it out so you can return the favor or lay there and bleed to death
Pontszám: 2.33
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1280. hozzászólás - 2010.12.16. 03:18:01 (Válasz adonies #1278 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: adonies - 2010.12.15. 19:34:23
"Many people would sooner ___ than think; in fact, they do so." (famous quote by Bertrand Russel).

Anyone care to point out the problem, please?

Bertrand Russell has two l's at the end. That may or may not have been the cause of rejection.
HKK - Zén minikiegészítő: Zén Legendái: A sötétség gyermekeiAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!