Oldal: 123456789
Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz: the aspects of evaluation
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz: the aspects of evaluation
121. hozzászólás - 2010.05.19. 03:51:07 (Válasz Htwogtwo #120 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Htwogtwo - 2010.05.18. 16:12:32
"According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer."

This aspect should really be removed, any question can fall under this category and it is unfair that if you happen to be evaluated by the wrong person, the question is rejected when there are many other similar questions that get passed as good.

Welcome to my nightmare. This is completely logical to everyone but the Mods and Admins.
Pontszám: 5
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
122. hozzászólás - 2010.05.19. 16:03:08
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.19. 12:00:10
4. Irrelevant lexical: If you ask about events, information or facts that are true, but no real value comes out of knowing them (eg. How much money you get for selling a gold armor in X rpg game or how many fingers does 10 hands have)

Another thing that bugs me is all the questions like "What year did X happen?" where the answers are like 1801, 1803, 1806, 1810. If it's something that happened within the last 10 years, then it's fine to have to know the right year. If it's something that happened since 1900, the answers should be decades. Before that, they should be centuries. And if it's about dinosaurs or plate techtonics or astrophysics, you shouldn't need to know anything more specific than whether the answer is in millions or billions or trillions.

5. Too easy or mathematical: That can also mean you posted a question of the type: ""What comes next in sequence...."" as well as 1+1=?.

I recently got a question "What comes next in the Fibonacci sequence..." That seems like a legitimate question to me. I think you should be clear that questions about mathematical concepts are fine. It's just mathematical computation that should be rejected.

I would also like to suggest that the document you guys are coming up with should be a living, evolving thing. As questions come up in either the Quiz errors topic or the My quiz question was rejected topic which are in a gray area, I would like to see an official ruling come down from some body of evaluators and have it placed in your new rules and updates topic as an example to clarify all future evaluations. For example, you and I had a long discussion about whether questions regarding the rules of sports games are legitimate. I thought my argument in favor was quite convincing, but evidently not enough to convince you. Anyway, if the evaluation rules committee got together and decided either way, I think it would be great to post the example that raised the issue along with the final ruling, so everyone would know whether questions like that should be rejected or not.
irritatingHtwogtwoFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
10 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
123. hozzászólás - 2010.05.19. 18:51:04
I was wondering if 5 consecutive rejections is some sort of record? Although to be fair, one question was rejected due to a supposed spelling mistake and when re-submitted, got kicked cos it was already in the database!!

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry....
irritatingdreema
Végzetúr poronty
6 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
124. hozzászólás - 2010.05.22. 17:19:52
I am sort of bummed out about this quiz thing. I made my first one and it was about the game and sort of easy.. and still got the stupid rejected"only a specefic group blah-blah blah" The question was... The Focus Crystal "Ogre Stone adds to what stat ? Now come on give me a break what so hard about that?? Really why was that rejected? As I see it half the quiz questions should be rejected than., because over half of them you have to be a historian, mathamatician or such. My question was sort of easy basic knowledge of the game which most players should know the answer to. Really should re-think what you quiz peeps reject. Sorry sort of mad due to a easy,basic question thats IS NOT a "rejected due to only a specfic group of people" really really should not reject such basic questions about the game..
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
125. hozzászólás - 2010.05.22. 19:04:48 (Válasz dreema #124 hozzászólására.)
Your question got rejected because a new player just starting the game will have no idea what you are talking about.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
126. hozzászólás - 2010.05.22. 19:26:46 (Válasz ImLittleJon #122 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.05.19. 16:03:08
4. Irrelevant lexical: If you ask about events, information or facts that are true, but no real value comes out of knowing them (eg. How much money you get for selling a gold armor in X rpg game or how many fingers does 10 hands have)

Another thing that bugs me is all the questions like "What year did X happen?" where the answers are like 1801, 1803, 1806, 1810. If it's something that happened within the last 10 years, then it's fine to have to know the right year. If it's something that happened since 1900, the answers should be decades. Before that, they should be centuries. And if it's about dinosaurs or plate techtonics or astrophysics, you shouldn't need to know anything more specific than whether the answer is in millions or billions or trillions.

5. Too easy or mathematical: That can also mean you posted a question of the type: ""What comes next in sequence...."" as well as 1+1=?.

I recently got a question "What comes next in the Fibonacci sequence..." That seems like a legitimate question to me. I think you should be clear that questions about mathematical concepts are fine. It's just mathematical computation that should be rejected.

I would also like to suggest that the document you guys are coming up with should be a living, evolving thing. As questions come up in either the Quiz errors topic or the My quiz question was rejected topic which are in a gray area, I would like to see an official ruling come down from some body of evaluators and have it placed in your new rules and updates topic as an example to clarify all future evaluations. For example, you and I had a long discussion about whether questions regarding the rules of sports games are legitimate. I thought my argument in favor was quite convincing, but evidently not enough to convince you. Anyway, if the evaluation rules committee got together and decided either way, I think it would be great to post the example that raised the issue along with the final ruling, so everyone would know whether questions like that should be rejected or not.

Starting from your last point, let me assure you and all of the players we have no intention of creating a legal document to be followed like its the law. After all, the ONLY reason we even started this process was to get all evaluators evaluating the same way and give to the players a more specific (and in many cases updated) quiz guide to reduce rejected questions. Ofcourse it will be changed and updated as needed, with the help of all of your posts. Examples will be provided to clear any gray areas and avoid missunderstandings. Furthermore the first draft will be subject to all of you commenting on it, and will not be applied as is if we see any good ideas or a lot of protest about any part of it. It will be refined and then presented as the quiz guideline

Coming to the sports question issue, they are quite hard to evaluate because of the diversity in interest that comes with them. Each sport fan has different opinion of what is a ""known"" sport. Especially the situation between North America and Europe, they have completely different sports knowladge to the degree of total ignorance for the other sides sports. But the quiz evaluation has to treat all sports equally, at least on the type of questions allowed. So if we allowed a British football club question about its stadium, then we have to allow NFL stadium questions. No matter how we evaluate there will be complains. Personally i even thought of removing sports all together except the olympic games, world cup and the such which are trully global. Still i do not feel it will come to that, clear rules will be set and see how it goes.

Finally, the years point you brought up is exactly what we agreed on, questions that play with very close dates will be considered bad.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
127. hozzászólás - 2010.05.22. 21:15:15 (Válasz stekkos #126 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.22. 19:26:46
No matter how we evaluate there will be complains. Personally i even thought of removing sports all together except the olympic games, world cup and the such which are trully global.

If that happens, I'll flip shit. The quiz has a myriad of questions about British-specific geography, Eastern-European everything, American history, region-specific literature and specific-group religion

You can't turn one category of questions into "international only" while completely ignoring the locational specifics of 90% of the rest of the quiz.

I used to have a lot of respect for you Stekkos, but your "holier than thou" responses and obvious anti-sporting agenda really aren't winning any points.

The whole system would work SO much better if Mods would get their collective sticks out of their collective asses and worry more about if a question was bloody RIGHT (wow, there's a new concept) rather than be worried about if a question may not be known the world over. NOBODY is going to know (or care) about everything in the quiz... But nobody should EXPECT to!

There should be 3 parts to a Mod evaluation:
If it's wrong or retardedly obscure (can't find on Google in 1 minute) or actually ambiguous - Kick it
If the grammar / punctuation / spelling is poor - Fix it
If the question is properly phrased, with an answer that is well-known or east to find (less than a minute on Google) - Pass it

The more Mods try to think, the more problems there will be. Making some document that contains any more than the 3 points above will do nothing to solve the problems.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
128. hozzászólás - 2010.05.23. 04:46:53
Shall i just point out i immediadely said it will not come to that, it was just a thought i had personally due to the sports situation? Or will that cause another complain? You just like to complain Viridel, period. Sports make up the most of the complains around the quiz and ImLittleJon asked specific about them. It was not a general discussion about all of the subjects.

And yes we like to think. We like considering how we can reject less questions. If you feel that is wrong, without even seeing the results (since no actual decision has been posted) its your perogative.

But while you stopped posting questions and fill up the forum with complains, other players, who do point out wrong things also but dont just wait for things to work exactly as they like, have 70, 80 even 100 questions good running in the quiz.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
129. hozzászólás - 2010.05.23. 05:24:32 (Válasz stekkos #128 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.23. 04:46:53
Shall i just point out i immediadely said it will not come to that, it was just a thought i had personally due to the sports situation? Or will that cause another complain? You just like to complain Viridel, period. Sports make up the most of the complains around the quiz and ImLittleJon asked specific about them. It was not a general discussion about all of the subjects.

And yes we like to think. We like considering how we can reject less questions. If you feel that is wrong, without even seeing the results (since no actual decision has been posted) its your perogative.

But while you stopped posting questions and fill up the forum with complains, other players, who do point out wrong things also but dont just wait for things to work exactly as they like, have 70, 80 even 100 questions good running in the quiz.

I can make questions that will pass, and have - that's not the point. The point is that the well written and accurate questions that regard topics I care about are unfairly bounced while the quiz is littered with poorly written, FAR more obscure, and flat out wrong questions.

And no, sports do not make up the majority of the complaints. The number 1 complaint - Why was my question rejected? The number two complaint - The answer is wrong

Maybe if the Mods would focus on correcting what people are REALLY complaining about, you wouldn't have time to write the fiction you've spouted so far, like trying to put the blame on me (or like that magical "New evaluation document" you've spent the last few months talking about - seriously, are the Mods chatting by Pony Express?)
averageThetus
Végzetúr poronty
43 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
130. hozzászólás - 2010.05.26. 17:18:51 (Válasz stekkos #128 hozzászólására.)
Stekkos, i've just read your new post about evaluating qestions and i must say, that i fully agree with it. The rules you proposed are fine and wise for me.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
131. hozzászólás - 2010.05.26. 19:45:37 (Válasz Thetus #130 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Thetus - 2010.05.26. 17:18:51
Stekkos, i've just read your new post about evaluating qestions and i must say, that i fully agree with it. The rules you proposed are fine and wise for me.

Meh. I'm not impressed (especially considering that it took 6-8 weeks to come up with that). It still doesn't change the fact that it is up to a single persons interpretation. As long as a question is reviewed by a single Moderator, and not the group as a whole, you will have a flawed system.

Is someone going to be evaluating the evaluators?
averageXaldar
Végzetúr poronty
1 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
132. hozzászólás - 2010.05.26. 22:36:11
why is it their are mispelled questions and group spicfic questions, that are against the rules? why are there rules banning questions that would teach something every time i get a wrong answer i learn something..... i have found that alot of questions are, how did you put it? (Requires lexical knowledge or only a special group can answer it.) thats how you learn... hello? correct?
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
133. hozzászólás - 2010.05.27. 04:19:18 (Válasz Xaldar #132 hozzászólására.)
Ofcourse is correct, the lexical knowleadge evaluation is not for removing the chance to learn something. Is to prevent the quiz flooding with questions that have no real value. If someone asks what is the atmosphere of Jupiter mainly made from, thats something good to learn. If he asks what is the 4th most abundant gas in the atmosphere of Jupiter, thats lexical knowleadge. It is a fact that some could find usefull ofcourse, but in general most people will not gain anything by knowing.

The special group is for limiting the range of how deep someone can go in a subject. There are people that know every little detail about some subjects because they really like that subject. Thats to be expected. But going into too much details will make other people, especially ones that hate the subject, complain why they have to bother finding that sort of detail in order to get a good answer on the hunts. Example: Asking about Harry Potter, lets say what is the name of his magic school. Thats ok, someone that does not like harry potter (me included ) propably has seen that name somewere, is a well known book and movie series. But asking what color is the baby dragon appearing in book/movie X is too much to ask since only those that read the book or watched the film AND payed attention to that detail will know. I admit there have been mistakes in evaluating good questions as special and vise versa, thats what we are trying to fix.
A hozzászólást stekkos módosította 2010.05.27. 04:28:46-kor
averageVenomDemonNő
Végzetúr poronty
3 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
134. hozzászólás - 2010.06.03. 13:04:34
I am coming accross quiz questions that seem to be breaking the special group rule. Like sports it not something people teach in school. It be like me making a pc code quiz. You really have to crack down to stuff that only in the basic fields of school. Like math end world history.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
135. hozzászólás - 2010.06.04. 07:02:37 (Válasz VenomDemon #134 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: VenomDemon - 2010.06.03. 13:04:34
Like math end world history.

Wow, that sounds like a great time - sign me up for a double dose of Math and History... Throw in some Literature and Geography, and I'll just burst from all the fun I'm having.

much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
136. hozzászólás - 2010.06.09. 05:07:58 (Válasz Viridel #135 hozzászólására.)
What viridel is trying to say Venom is that sports are part of a lot of peoples lives. In many cases more than math or history. A lot of other people, have little or no interest in sports but enjoy math, history, geography etc. But the quiz is about all of the players, not either part of them. There are rules to limit the details you can post, but all subjects are allowed. Personally i am not a big sports fan, history channel would be my choice But i do enjoy the opportunity to learn about sports through this quiz.
A hozzászólást stekkos módosította 2010.06.09. 05:08:20-kor
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
137. hozzászólás - 2010.06.11. 15:08:20
I would like to suggest an addition to the guidelines. Questions (or answers) involving measurements should be rejected unless they include both metric and whatever you call the F'd up system we use in the US.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
138. hozzászólás - 2010.06.12. 05:49:27 (Válasz ImLittleJon #137 hozzászólására.)
Then that will also have to include questions for temperature, volume, distances etc. Personally i do not see the problem each player posting in its own system on measerments, i found it a great way to get a bit of understanding about the relations between the 2 systems trying to answer
much likedvajenka
Végzetúr poronty
43 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
139. hozzászólás - 2010.06.13. 04:16:16
I've got a question:
In the various "Getter Robo" Japanese animated series and works, how many "Getter Machines" are normally needed to form Getter Robo itself?

OMG!!!! What a "general knowledge" of evaluators is this?! Every one has to know what the "Getter Robo" is, but they don't know about fairy tailes, written by H.C.Andersen? (one of good questions about H.C.Anderson was marked as "known to very special group")
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
140. hozzászólás - 2010.06.16. 06:55:51 (Válasz vajenka #139 hozzászólására.)
As we have said many times is not the subject that makes a question special, is what the question asks from the players ABOUT the subject. That one only asked a basic feature of the series, stating from which country and what type of series it is. For Europe this series is not well known but that is not a reason to reject it since the information asked is as good as the question "What is the color of Gandalf in lord of the rings".

If you feel wronged about your andersen question, please post it here to explain why it was rejected (or even see if it was not supposed to be rejected, we reserve the chance it was a mistake )
Oldal: 123456789
HKK - Zén minikiegészítő: Zén Legendái: A sötétség gyermekeiAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!