Szerző
Topic neve: Events - General discussion
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Events - General discussion
1. hozzászólás - 2011.03.14. 17:23:48
This thread is for discussing the general mechanics surrounding Events in the game.
Pontszám: 5
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Events - General discussion
2. hozzászólás - 2011.03.14. 17:24:27
There is a thing that has been nagging me for some time about this game. It has to do with Events* and how the rewards from them work. My problem is that they mostly use your normal resources, like Action points and Duel points, and you get rewards for doing a lot during the Event. The more you do during the Event, the greater your reward. The problem with this is that it encourages a certain play style:
- Between Events you save up AP and DP to spend them during the Event to get a bigger reward.

Is this the intention? Is this how we (the players) want it to be? Long periods of low activity and then a flurry of activity.

To me it just feels a bit strange, and I don't really think this is intended. Some ways to change it:
- If it is a fighting event (i.e. Xenos) there could be a limited amount of resources that could be used and the effort could instead be measured in how much damage you did (or even ratio of Damage caused/Damage taken)
- In the map event there could be a limit on the number of map pieces you could find per day

What do people think? Should the outcome of Events be dictated by how much we save up between them or could it be some other way?

* The Events I think of are mainly events like Zarknods awakening, The map and Xenos war.
much likedMiklosFérfi
Adminisztrátor
1193 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3. hozzászólás - 2011.03.15. 12:35:27
A very clever observation. This effect is not intended. The purpose of the game is that you can play all the time, use up resources freely, and sometimes the monotony gets broken by an interesting event. But yes, as things stand now, many events encourage players to save up resources. We let people use up these saved up resources for several reasons:

1.) If you already have a lot of Apts and Dpts saved up, it means the game's pace is a little faster than you are comfortable with. That is, very likely you are never going to use them up, and it makes you feel that you "lose" something. With events, players have a chance to "catch up", to use up these leftovers.
2.) Often, events require a specific number of actions. Even with careful planning, it's hard to tell how much resource will a player spend (and have available). Allowing them to use up saved up respts is a way to ensure that anyone who wishes can achieve the maximum reward.
3.) Limiting resources only to that the player acquires during the event would conradict a bit with the current game mechanics, would make both rules and programming more difficult. So we allow this to keep things simple.
4.) Lower level players have less APt and DPt regen per day, because they do not have the skills which increase these regens. Allowing them to stock up gives them a better chance.

But, the problem is, that this leads to people some sitting on 7-800 Apts all the time, to make sure they stay competitive in the upcoming events. I am no sure that this is a real problem, but nonetheless, if you have any good suggestion how to change this - without making the system more complicated - I'm looking forward to it.
irritatingInv_
Végzetúr poronty
189 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
4. hozzászólás - 2011.03.15. 13:21:09
A hunter that saves up 800 ap gains close to 0 se until the event. that means other players that hunt daily grow stronger and pwn the other guy. The events rewards for being in top10 are so no worth saving up resources. In all the events so far you could meet the minimum requirements even if you start with 0 ap and dp. I believe that someone who saves resources for events gains no advantage over people who use theur resources daily.
If you mod me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
5. hozzászólás - 2011.03.15. 13:35:26 (Válasz Miklos #3 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.03.15. 12:35:27
A very clever observation. This effect is not intended. The purpose of the game is that you can play all the time, use up resources freely, and sometimes the monotony gets broken by an interesting event. But yes, as things stand now, many events encourage players to save up resources. We let people use up these saved up resources for several reasons:

1.) If you already have a lot of Apts and Dpts saved up, it means the game's pace is a little faster than you are comfortable with. That is, very likely you are never going to use them up, and it makes you feel that you "lose" something. With events, players have a chance to "catch up", to use up these leftovers.

Not going to say no to that, but a player could "catch up" at any time, but with the current model you gain more by catching up during an event.

2.) Often, events require a specific number of actions. Even with careful planning, it's hard to tell how much resource will a player spend (and have available). Allowing them to use up saved up respts is a way to ensure that anyone who wishes can achieve the maximum reward.

I see the problem with this, and I don't have any specific suggestion for how to deal with it. A general observation is that if the event is not based around the quantity of performance but instead around quality, the entire problem goes away.

Lets compare the Xenos event with the Championship (yes, the Championship is a kind of Event, one that happens every month). For the Xenos event the player want to save up as much as possible and then spend all resources during the event, while for the Championship you want to spend everything before.

3.) Limiting resources only to that the player acquires during the event would conradict a bit with the current game mechanics, would make both rules and programming more difficult. So we allow this to keep things simple.

I don't see how limiting resources spent on an Event contradicts the current game mechanics. Of course you should be able to use your resources for the normal things (Hunt, duel etc etc), it's just the amount you put into the Event itself that could (should?) be limited.

Let's construct a simple, hypothetical event: The Grand Games.
During the Grand Games Doomlords compete against each other and compare their might. Each day a Doomlord (or Lady) can enter the competition in 3 of the 10 categories. These categories are then resolved once per day for the duration of the Games (10 days?) and the Doomlord who scores the most points get the better prices. Entering into a competition costs 5 DP and 5 AP.
So the event costs resources, but the amount can be tailored so that everyone can compete. It doesn't matter if you have 5 or 500 Ap when the Event starts, since the amount/day is limited. Instead the Event is about your Quality as a Doomlord.

4.) Lower level players have less APt and DPt regen per day, because they do not have the skills which increase these regens. Allowing them to stock up gives them a better chance.

Solved by having the amount of AP/DP going into the Event being low enough that low level players can afford it. Any extra resources that high-level players get are instead used for normal Hunts and Duels.

But, the problem is, that this leads to people some sitting on 7-800 Apts all the time, to make sure they stay competitive in the upcoming events. I am no sure that this is a real problem, but nonetheless, if you have any good suggestion how to change this - without making the system more complicated - I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not sure it's a problem either, but I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about it. Has this ever been discussed on the Hungarian forums?

And a nice change, a quick and concise administrator response. I like it.
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
6. hozzászólás - 2011.03.15. 13:39:58 (Válasz Inv_ #4 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Inv_ - 2011.03.15. 13:21:09
A hunter that saves up 800 ap gains close to 0 se until the event. that means other players that hunt daily grow stronger and pwn the other guy. The events rewards for being in top10 are so no worth saving up resources. In all the events so far you could meet the minimum requirements even if you start with 0 ap and dp. I believe that someone who saves resources for events gains no advantage over people who use theur resources daily.

Not true for an event like Zarknods awakening, where the rewards were quite substantial and totally dependent on how much resources you spent (and some luck). The minimum number of battles you had to do to get all Relics was quite high, in the order of 300 (so 600+enough SE to fight, if you won all your battles).
Even the Xenos event gave quite good rewards for Top 10, or do you think that my 5% more Buidling than yours doesn't add up over time? (Yes, medal of doom adds building above max skill)

Also, a good hunter doesn't get pwned, since he never has SE on him when he can get hit.
everyone's favoritebaggybag
Végzetúr poronty
74 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
7. hozzászólás - 2011.03.15. 15:27:25
i think when you make events according to the quality of the players than players with high quality will always stay on the top.
in zarknod event some player who were eays hunts for duellers were stronger then the duellers after the event. if you had done the event according to player spesifics i dont see a way this could have happened and i think these kind of things should happen in the game (preys becoming hunters vice versa).

your example "grand games" the players doesnt have anything to say about it. every player will be same. i like making choices and living according to their results.

for me saving points or spending them is a strategy or if i have got time i play if not they accumulate. i like the things as they are. BUT
i would very much like to have events more frequently. it has been 3 weeks after xeno.
popularCruel01Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
714 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
8. hozzászólás - 2011.03.16. 01:21:37
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.03.15. 12:35:27

I don't think this is a problem. Doomlord is a strategy game and saving up 800 AP for events is a valid strategy. And even if you save up 800 AP, it doesn't mean you will win it. I won the Xeno event in the last day and I barely made it. I could have lost as easily and that would have been awful for me because I changed my whole strategy of evolving very slowly via duels just to win the event. I took a risk and was lucky enough to be compensated, but it was not a guarantee.
I also disagree with another event for the strongest players. The Championship is good enough.

Cruel.
everyone's favoritewakhere
Végzetúr poronty
13 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
9. hozzászólás - 2011.05.14. 19:41:06
my auction bid message is repeating
oday, 21:07 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 21:06 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 21:04 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 21:03 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 20:54 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 20:44 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 20:39 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 20:35 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training
Today, 20:32 You bought the following item on the auction for 65 golden ducats: Quick training

auction room is empty.....
i think something has jammed.....or is loooping
likedKethiosFérfi
Global Moderátor
757 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
10. hozzászólás - 2012.03.14. 16:30:57
Not the right trhead.
Doomlord forum moderator at your service.
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
11. hozzászólás - 2012.03.14. 17:57:56 (Válasz Kethios #10 hozzászólására.)
Keithos, it´s a bot. All the posts made by Tratom are copies of what other people wrote, sometimes in other threads.
very popularBartessica Slam
Végzetúr poronty
277 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
12. hozzászólás - 2012.03.14. 18:27:03 (Válasz Kethios #10 hozzászólására.)
Accounts like Tratom (you can't say ppl in this case) should be banned from the forum...
E.
A hozzászólást Bartessica Slam módosította 2012.03.14. 18:27:46-kor
Pontszám: 7.50
much likedMiklosFérfi
Adminisztrátor
1193 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
13. hozzászólás - 2012.03.14. 20:43:07
Ok I banned him.
Oldal: 1
HKK - Zén minikiegészítő: Zén Legendái: A sötétség gyermekeiAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!