Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - ImLittleJon

Dátum: 2010.04.07. 16:35:32
Just for the record, this is fixed now.
Dátum: 2010.04.07. 00:06:36
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.04.06. 18:47:09
National Hockey League (NHL) - New Jersey ______?

My guess is they wanted more of a sentence. Like "The team name of the National Hockey League (NHL) franchise located in New Jersey is _____?" I understood your question, but I had to look twice.
Dátum: 2010.04.05. 18:51:03
One of my quest options is: Get at least 5 experience points in one duel you start.

I am level 4. I get 1 XP for defeating a level 3, 2 for level 4, and 3 for level 5. The system will not allow me to attack level 6 and above. I am guessing that as I gain levels, it will allow me to attack higher and lower levels. If this is true, how high do I have to get before I can attack people 3 levels higher? Or is there some other way of getting more XP from a duel? I don't really want to buy up my singularity knowledge skill just for this quest, but I don't really want the quest sitting there taking up space forever, either.
Dátum: 2010.04.05. 17:03:13
I posted this in the Complaints section and emailed info@doomlord.net with no response. Maybe the Help section will be better.

Someone I know from another game registered using my recommendation link. At that point, the system recognized that he had come in on my recommendation. He didn't notice the survey for the Breastplate of Doom, so I told him to delete his character and re-register. He used my link again when re-registering, but the system is still saying that he did not come in on my recommendation. He has tried twice with the same results, so I think it's a bug in the code.
Dátum: 2010.04.01. 22:11:55
Here is my question:

What is the first animal that humans domesticated?

Dog
Sheep
Horse
Llama

The correct answer is Dog. See:
http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ab57
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication#Dates_and_places
http://www.slate.com/id/2213121/

My question was rejected as being ambiguous or wrong. It's definitely not wrong, and I don't see how it's ambiguous. Anyone see something I'm missing?
Dátum: 2010.03.31. 16:59:50
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.03.31. 16:51:08
Any website I've seen that you can post on (forums etc) say that "any submitted comments become property of (the site) and may be used or edited blah, blah, blah". Actually I had a typo in a question of mine, "silimar" should have been "similar", and that was corrected by the Mods.

Our sites say that too. But the lawyers say that the country's laws do not recognize that as sufficient.
Dátum: 2010.03.31. 14:06:24
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.03.31. 04:15:05
The line should simply be that NO question should be kicked out for being "too specific". But after 10 answers, if 3 or fewer got it right (less than 40%), then it goes to Moderation to determine if it's a fair/reasonable question; and it should be auto-kicked if it's less than 40% accuracy after 50 questions.

The first moderation should only verify the accuracy of the answer and FIX any spelling & grammar errors. That way nobody can get mad that their question got kicked, and if it gets removed later, it's because the user-base of Doomlords said it was too difficult. And really, regardless of the Moderator opinion on the matter, the only people who matter are the users - the current system simply does not represent that.

I'll buy that as an alternate system. It's at least as good as what's there now, and definitely superior in some respects. I think it would work much better for the moderators to fix spelling and grammar errors, but I think you run afoul of some European countries' laws. My company does some online communities for European divisions of some clients, and I know there are some places where the law is that the original poster completely owns the words they posted, and you are not legally allowed to modify them. You can't even delete them (though you can hide them), as if the user ever asks for all the text they have ever posted, you have to provide it. Maybe it would work for the moderators to submit an alternate corrected version back to the user, who would have to click a button to accept the revisions. That's more complicated to code, though.
Dátum: 2010.03.31. 00:09:56
preform => perform
Dátum: 2010.03.30. 20:06:25
Someone I know from another game registered using my recommendation link. At that point, the system recognized that he had come in on my recommendation. He didn't notice the survey for the Breastplate of Doom, so I told him to delete his character and re-register. He used my link again when re-registering, but the system is still saying that he did not come in on my recommendation. He has tried twice with the same results, so I think it's a bug in the code.
Dátum: 2010.03.30. 16:01:56
The quiz feature is a fun aspect of the game. Are there false positives and false negatives in the evaluation process? You bet. Does that make the quiz feature not fun? Not in my opinion. So the question is, is there a better evaluation system that would produce more false positives and false negatives? I can't think of one. Can you? I think the best thing to do is to work within the system to improve it. One way to do that is to report (in a polite tone) every instance of a bad question that made it through. Another way would be to become one of the moderators yourself, though it's not clear how to be chosen for that. (Given how long my current question has been under evaluation, they need to choose some more moderators...) I understand the frustration that the system isn't as good as it might be, but I think it's better than nothing, especially as there isn't likely to be a consensus of where the line should be drawn. Anyway, that's my opinion.
Dátum: 2010.03.30. 15:44:58
Sweet! Thanks. I never would have seen it down there. Which I guess means my suggestion should be changed to moving it up near the other information that people regularly look at. Unless that causes a javascript page-loading block, but it should be possible to code it to avoid that.
Dátum: 2010.03.30. 00:08:03
Short suggestion this time: show the server time somewhere. Maybe up where it shows duel points and action points. Previous battles show in GMT or something, and with daylight savings and all, time zone conversions are a pain. Plus, your servers seem to be set a couple of minutes different from my laptop. So I've fought some duels at a penalty because I thought an hour had passed, but it hadn't quite.
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 23:12:01
Santa Cruz Mountains, near San Francisco, California, U.S.A.

Originally from Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 23:05:02
You get a potion that cures all scorpion poison for that.

*inserts coin*
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 22:59:17
I am new to Doomlord, but I have played similar games for quite a while. Let me start by saying so far, I enjoy Doomlord the most. Aside from the game mechanics, having the developers read and post on the forums is a huge plus. It's the reason I gave this game a try in the first place.

That said, I do have some suggestions. Apologies in advance for what is likely to be a long post.

To me, the key to a good game is having an active, engaged community of players. The quiz feature is an excellent example of this. Users submit their questions and get to see them used in the game. That means they added something to the game, and they become more emotionally engaged. I saw another suggestion for more variety in monsters, battle texts, etc. This same mechanism could be used to satisfy that user's desire. It would obviously involve a need for more moderation to review the submitted pictures and text, but as long as you have users who are willing to be the moderators (an even higher level of engagement), the same review process should work.

So far, I have seen relatively little interaction between players. There are these forums, but they seem to mostly stay pretty on topic. Nobody is just chatting with each other. Once I join a clan, perhaps I'll see some of that on the clan forum, depending on the other members of the clan. But that kind of socializing really does increase the engagement level of the players. Programming online communities for big corporations is what I do for a living, and the studies I've seen really do support this. Once people start thinking of the other players in the game as their friends and going to the game just to hang out and chat, they are more likely to be willing to spend money on the game (which is the reason for the existence of the game, after all). And even if some people stay non-premium, the fact that they are active and engaged makes other players more likely to pay. The most effective way to foster this sort of community is an in-game, real-time chat, but the forums could be leveraged better than they currently are. You link to the forums on the hunt page, but there would be a lot more activity if you displayed the most recent few posts there in addition. Once you reach a critical mass of activity, these things become self sustaining, but people need a little guidance to find these things.

Finally, a truly radical (i.e. nobody but me will like it) idea. Let me start with the story of my experience in other games. As the game matures, you lose players. That's just the nature of things. Real life gets in the way. So you need new players to replace them. But nobody likes to feel like they are so far behind that they can never catch up to the leaders, so most new players just quit immediately. Then you open up a new world, and a bunch of people jump ship from the old world to the new, where they can have a chance to be the leaders. This leaves the old world a hollow shell of itself, without the critical mass to maintain the community. It's less fun, so more people leave, and it goes into a death spiral. Now, the radical idea: set a specific expiration date for the world. After that date, it's a complete reset, and everyone starts over from the beginning again. So why even try if you know it's all going to disappear in 6 months or whatever? You give out trophies, and each player gets a trophy case page. You can get as creative as you want want with the trophies - highest level, most damage dealt, highest level pet, most quizzes answered successfully, most quiz questions approved, most quests completed, etc. Some trophies could be popularity trophies, determined by user votes - best quiz question, best user-submitted monster, best avatar, best forum poster. People will still try for the bragging rights, and you will avoid the death spiral I keep seeing. And as a side benefit, reset would provide an opportunity to put in place any tweaks you wanted. For example, if you thought that the emerald horde's ability to buy spells a level lower was too powerful, right now you're stuck. You couldn't change that without upsetting a lot of people, since they chose their horde with that ability in mind. But at a reset, you'd be free to replace that ability with something else.

That's (more than) enough for one post.