Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - adonies

Oldal: 123
Dátum: 2010.12.14. 09:05:20
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.12.14. 01:28:59
Idézet: adonies - 2010.12.13. 17:06:24
The animated American television sitcom "The Flintstones" played in what prehistoric setting?

Neolithic age
Iron Age
Bronze Age
Stone Age <-- marked as correct

I'd argue that since they're a comic series that shows no regard to history (e.g. dinosaurs, pulled-carts, domesticated animals), this question should be removed.

Flintstones... Meet the Flintstones,
They're a modern stoneage family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street.
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're with the Flintstones,
have a yabba dabba doo time,
a dabba doo time,
we'll have a gay old time

Amongst the available answers, isn't the correct one rather obvious?

OMG, triviality overload ^^
Dátum: 2010.12.14. 09:01:43
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2010.12.13. 17:22:39
What's confusing? You looked at 2 individual categories of the award and the question is not asking about a specific category it is asking who is the youngest person to be handed an Oscar statuette in ANY category.

"Who was the youngest actor ever awarded the Academy Award?" is a very different question to "Who is the youngest person to be handed an Oscar statuette in ANY category?".
Which of all academy awards is THE Academy Award asked?

It's an interesting question, I'm only saying that the question needs be rewritten.
Dátum: 2010.12.13. 17:11:26
Who was the youngest actor ever awarded the Academy Award?

Macaulay Culkin
Michael Jackson
Shirley Temple <--- marked as correct
Elizabeth Taylor

Checking here "Wikipedia:Academy Award for Best Actor" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Actor):
Youngest winner: Adrien Brody lead (Timothy Hutton supporting)

From the "Wikipedia:Academy Juvenile Award" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Juvenile_Award):
1934: Shirley Temple "in recognition of her outstanding contribution to screen entertainment during the year 1934." (Special Award)

This question is confusing on what is actually asked, it sohuld be rewritten.
Dátum: 2010.12.13. 17:06:24
The animated American television sitcom "The Flintstones" played in what prehistoric setting?

Neolithic age
Iron Age
Bronze Age
Stone Age <-- marked as correct

I'd argue that since they're a comic series that shows no regard to history (e.g. dinosaurs, pulled-carts, domesticated animals), this question should be removed.
Dátum: 2010.12.13. 17:04:34
What movie sees killer Buffalo Bill, aka Jame Gumb, so insistent about the application of lotion?

Red Dragon
Hannibal
Manhunter
Silence of the Lambs <--- marked as correct

Doesn't this question require someone to have actually seen these movies?
Dátum: 2010.12.12. 18:55:03
Motorola, Inc. is best known for which electronic device?

Washing machines
Electronic lighters
wireless telephone handsets <-- marked as correct
Electronic shavers

Actually, at this point in time they're best known for their "mobile" (or "cellular") phones, which is not the same as "wireless telephone handsets". This question definitely needs a date as well.
Dátum: 2010.12.11. 10:35:39
How many naturally radioactive elements are known as of May 2010 ?

9 <--- marked as correct

http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q661.html
How many naturally occuring radioactive elements exist and what are they?
Natural radioactivity originates from extraterrestrial sources as well as from radioactive elements in the earth's crust. About 340 nuclides have been found in nature, and more than 60 of these are radioactive. All elements having an atomic number greater than 80 possess radioactive isotopes, and all isotopes of elements heavier than number 83 are radioactive. The natural radioactivity of the earth includes three major categories. Primordial radionuclides have half-lives sufficiently long that they have survived since their creation. Secondary radionuclides are derived from radioactive decay of the primordials. Cosmogenic radionuclides are continuously produced by bombardment of stable nuclides by cosmic rays, primarily in the atmosphere. Some human-made radionuclides persist in the environment, but these are not "natural." A much larger number of radioactive isotopes than now exist were produced when the matter of which the universe is formed first came into being several billion years ago, but most of them have decayed out of existence. The primordial radionuclides which now exist are those that have half-lives at least comparable to the age of the universe. Radioisotopes with half-lives of less than about 108 years have become undetectable in the 30 or so half-lives since their creation, whereas radionuclides with half-lives greater than 1010 years have decayed very little up to the present time. More detailed information on natural radionuclides, including lists of individual radionuclides, can be found in the book Environmental Radioactivity, Merril Eisenbud and Tom Gesell, Academic Press, San Diego, 1997, and on the Idaho State University sponsored Web site: Radioactivity in Nature. Tom Gesell
Dátum: 2010.12.11. 10:34:34
Which band is playing with Bruce Springsteen's ?

The Sunshine band
Nirvana
Double Trouble
The E-Street band <-- correct

The question should be rewritten.
Dátum: 2010.12.10. 18:52:49
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.10. 16:09:51
They absolutely should not. The proportion of users who know English nursery rhymes is higher than almost any approved question in the database. It's ridiculous that we're even having this conversation. Really, what it proves is that "too specific" means "I didn't know the answer".

Of course I didn't know the answer, but I googled it fine and answered the quiz correctly. It's still a stupid thing to ask. Gazillions of interesting trivia around, and we get nursery rhymes? Someone must be at the end of their wits...

No conversation is ridiculous, only people not used to doing them find them so.
Dátum: 2010.12.10. 10:21:51
How many teeth has a bear ?

42 <--- correct

First, the question should be: "How many teeth does a bear have?"

Second, it's a completely useless info, very specific audience, and it probably has only been saved up to now by tis "gogglability"...
Dátum: 2010.12.10. 10:19:27
Who is not a family member of The Simpson's?

Milhouse <--- correct
Bart
Homer
Lisa

Correct question please: either "... of the Simpsons" or "... member of the Simpson family"
Dátum: 2010.12.10. 10:18:29
Came across another nursery rhyme diamond" today:

In the nursery ryhme featuring toes, what did the second piggy do?

cried whee-whee-whee all the way home
Stayed home <--- correct
Ate roast beef
Went to the market

Dátum: 2010.12.10. 10:17:26
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.09. 14:48:34
Idézet: adonies - 2010.12.09. 10:10:45
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.08. 14:37:44
Native English speakers are too specific? Get real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language
Total speakers as First language: 309–400 million

That's only one fourth of the chinese (for example) native speakers, so let's start asking questions about chinese nursery rhymes as well, what do you think?

This is the English language version of Doomlord. If they make a Chinese language version, you go right ahead and ask about those Chinese nursery rhymes.

Don't be silly, just because it's an english server doesn't mean that the majority of the players here have had an english upbringing.
Evenmore, it's been my experience that most of the people that are not native english speakers on the web speak better english than the majority of the native english speakers I encountered. Most of the time, this is due to age difference, maturity and purpose of use.

I still stand that english nursery rhymes should be rated "too specific audience".
Dátum: 2010.12.10. 10:12:07
Idézet: Elfie - 2010.12.09. 18:56:16
I came across with a question asking "Which of the following is a planet". I don't remember the other options but two of them were "Pluto" and "Mercury". Last time I checked, both Pluto and Mercury were planets. So...

Idézet: petel87 - 2010.12.09. 19:14:01
... so check again

I checked as well and they're both planets! What's your source in that?
Dátum: 2010.12.09. 10:16:48
Which country invented gunpowder used in warfare and produced a variety of gunpowder weapons, including flamethrowers, rockets, bombs, and mines?

Spain
Persia
Japan
China <--- correct

The question needs rewritting as it is not grammatically correct ("...invented gunpowder used in warfare and produced..."). Probably should be "...invented gunpowder, used it in warfare, and produced...".
Dátum: 2010.12.09. 10:13:59
The Jordinaires were the backing group of which singer?

Michael Jackson
Elvis Presley <--- correct
Tom Jones
Frank Sinatra

The group was actually named "The Jordanaires"
Dátum: 2010.12.09. 10:13:08
Who is known as the father of Sociology?

Max Weber
Auguste Comte <--- correct
Talcott Parsons
Karl Marx

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology) Comte and Marx were both at the start, but it is Émile Durkheim (1858–1917) that is recognized as the father or founder of the science.
Dátum: 2010.12.09. 10:10:45
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.08. 14:37:44
Native English speakers are too specific? Get real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language
Total speakers as First language: 309–400 million

That's only one fourth of the chinese (for example) native speakers, so let's start asking questions about chinese nursery rhymes as well, what do you think?
Dátum: 2010.12.09. 10:08:15
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.12.08. 13:48:11
Why don't you just edit your previous post if you find another bad question and someone hasn't already posted?

Because each post is about a different question, so that my posts can be independently rated.

Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.12.08. 13:48:11
Which of these medieval countries did not have a monarch?
France
England
Spain
Venice <-- right

Venice isn't a country and I don't think it ever was... It's always been a part of Italy.

Not only an independent state, but also the biggest mediterranean power for hundreds of years. FYI, Italy wasn't a country until the 19th century.
Dátum: 2010.12.08. 09:04:10
What did Little Jack Horner pull out of his Christmas pie?

Coal
Plumb <-- correct
Cherry
File

I was confounded by this one.
In wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Jack_Horner) I read:
"Little Jack Horner" is a popular English language nursery rhyme.

Now, I can accept lots of english-culture peculiar stuff being asked in the quizzes, because of the english language proliferation; but we all learned english as a foreign language in a quite more advanced age than nursery.
We can't have known this particular nursery rhyme, and won't ever care to.

Useless question, very specific audience, please remove.
Oldal: 123