Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
averageElfieNő
Végzetúr poronty
5 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
2201. hozzászólás - 2010.12.09. 18:56:16
I came across with a question asking "Which of the following is a planet". I don't remember the other options but two of them were "Pluto" and "Mercury". Last time I checked, both Pluto and Mercury were planets. So...
Pontszám: 5.33
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2202. hozzászólás - 2010.12.09. 19:14:01 (Válasz Elfie #2201 hozzászólására.)
... so check again
Pontszám: 2.33
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2203. hozzászólás - 2010.12.09. 20:35:20
How did a lot of people used to jump from the Niagra Falls?
In a boat
In a wooden box
In a barrel <- marked as correct.
In a bathtub

Not sure I'd use either "used to" or "a lot" for 16 people over 100+ years (11 of them survived). In fact most people just go over the fall in nothing at all, on average around 20 a year commit suicide each year by that means: http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/niagara.htm
Pontszám: 7.50
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2204. hozzászólás - 2010.12.09. 20:47:39
Which is the highest grossing Hollywood film of all time?
Titanic
The Dark Knight
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

This one needs a year, as it might be beaten.
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2205. hozzászólás - 2010.12.09. 20:53:39
Which is not a hat ?
Ball
Cowboy
Tutu <- marked as correct
Panama

You can buy a tutu hat here
Pontszám: 8.33
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2206. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 00:08:59 (Válasz Phalanxii #2198 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.12.09. 14:07:40

EDIT: I don't think they have time to correct grammatical errors. These are the international servers and although I agree grammar and spelling should be correct, I prefer the developers to make new events instead of spending hours correcting grammar which might even be difficult for them (with English not being their first language). As long as they clear up the ones that are wrong, I'm happy.

Programmers & Admin are a different group than Moderation. I would (hope to) assume that Evaluators are English First Language. Using them to provide rejected question feedback (like in a text box on the rejected question) and/or rudimentary spelling & grammar correction would improve the game immensely - while taking away nothing from the development of the rest of the game.
A hozzászólást Viridel módosította 2010.12.10. 00:10:27-kor
likeddark22Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
247 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2207. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 00:48:54
As I understood problem is with inability to correct simple spelling mistakes ( no one is allowed to change anything you wrote on their server without your approval or line in terms of agr.) so sometimes evaluators are in tough position. Good question but with small spelling mistake or bit wrongly phrased should be rejected, but then you invoke the famous "rage" of the quiz users, and perhaps original writer will be dishartened by rejection and simply will not try to fix it but quit all together or try new question.
And if they do accept it the "rage" is there again cause "how come this idiotic poorly writen question has passed and my much better one is turned down with spelling issues" thingy.

Is there a way to enable evaluators to fix the bad phrasing and/or small spelling mistakes?
That way there should be less errors in quiz itself and if we do see spelling error we will know whos fault it is (evaluators of course:) and who to direct complains to.

As it is now all they do is simply remove questions if they somehow passed the evaluation but get torched by the players (congrats MartinBV, your efforts are endless in making quiz more error free).
Pontszám: 5.50
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2208. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 01:49:27 (Válasz dark22 #2207 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: dark22 - 2010.12.10. 00:48:54
As I understood problem is with inability to correct simple spelling mistakes ( no one is allowed to change anything you wrote on their server without your approval or line in terms of agr.) so sometimes evaluators are in tough position.

Yeah, this has been said a few times, but questions are corrected all the time - including a few of my own that needed to be edited for minor spelling / clarification after the fact. Nobody asked my permission to do so. So either I will be taking the Admins to court - or this "reason" is just another excuse to do nothing.

Is there a way to enable evaluators to fix the bad phrasing and/or small spelling mistakes?

There is - just do it. If you feel the need to cover your backside, then have a modified Terms of Agreement. But there is really no excuse, other than laziness.

That way there should be less errors in quiz itself and if we do see spelling error we will know whos fault it is (evaluators of course:) and who to direct complains to.

As it is now all they do is simply remove questions if they somehow passed the evaluation but get torched by the players (congrats MartinBV, your efforts are endless in making quiz more error free).

Which is oh-so much fun for all involved. Imagine what this one simple little patch would do for customer relations and efficiency.

But again, that's counting on Admin to do something. After that first little burst of improvements, it appears that this forum once more has been a black hole of good ideas and no action.
Pontszám: 5
irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2209. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 10:12:07 (Válasz petel87 #2202 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Elfie - 2010.12.09. 18:56:16
I came across with a question asking "Which of the following is a planet". I don't remember the other options but two of them were "Pluto" and "Mercury". Last time I checked, both Pluto and Mercury were planets. So...

Idézet: petel87 - 2010.12.09. 19:14:01
... so check again

I checked as well and they're both planets! What's your source in that?
irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2210. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 10:17:26 (Válasz ImLittleJon #2199 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.09. 14:48:34
Idézet: adonies - 2010.12.09. 10:10:45
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.08. 14:37:44
Native English speakers are too specific? Get real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language
Total speakers as First language: 309–400 million

That's only one fourth of the chinese (for example) native speakers, so let's start asking questions about chinese nursery rhymes as well, what do you think?

This is the English language version of Doomlord. If they make a Chinese language version, you go right ahead and ask about those Chinese nursery rhymes.

Don't be silly, just because it's an english server doesn't mean that the majority of the players here have had an english upbringing.
Evenmore, it's been my experience that most of the people that are not native english speakers on the web speak better english than the majority of the native english speakers I encountered. Most of the time, this is due to age difference, maturity and purpose of use.

I still stand that english nursery rhymes should be rated "too specific audience".
Pontszám: 4.50
irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2211. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 10:18:29
Came across another nursery rhyme diamond" today:

In the nursery ryhme featuring toes, what did the second piggy do?

cried whee-whee-whee all the way home
Stayed home <--- correct
Ate roast beef
Went to the market

irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2212. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 10:19:27
Who is not a family member of The Simpson's?

Milhouse <--- correct
Bart
Homer
Lisa

Correct question please: either "... of the Simpsons" or "... member of the Simpson family"
Pontszám: 4
irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2213. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 10:21:51
How many teeth has a bear ?

42 <--- correct

First, the question should be: "How many teeth does a bear have?"

Second, it's a completely useless info, very specific audience, and it probably has only been saved up to now by tis "gogglability"...
averageElfieNő
Végzetúr poronty
5 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2214. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 12:39:47 (Válasz petel87 #2202 hozzászólására.)
I was tought the planets in elementary school. But please, check yourself and let me know if I'm the one who is wrong here and the question is correct: http://nineplanets.org/
averageElfieNő
Végzetúr poronty
5 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2215. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 12:41:32 (Válasz adonies #2209 hozzászólására.)
Thank youuuuu
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2216. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 16:09:51 (Válasz adonies #2210 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: adonies - 2010.12.10. 10:17:26
Don't be silly, just because it's an english server doesn't mean that the majority of the players here have had an english upbringing.

Actually, yeah, it does. Maybe at the beginning, it wasn't, but as time goes on, the vast majority of new users are from English speaking countries. It's just human nature. Most of your average Internet user's activity is on sites in their native language. So yes, China has almost double the Internet users of the US, but those users don't use Google, they use Baidu. They don't use eBay, they use Taobao. And that's even with the American sites having Chinese language versions. Some Chinese users do come to English sites, of course, but in general, they represent below 1% of the traffic there, as opposed to over 20% overall. And the same kind of thing applies for other countries.

Evenmore, it's been my experience that most of the people that are not native english speakers on the web speak better english than the majority of the native english speakers I encountered. Most of the time, this is due to age difference, maturity and purpose of use.

How is that relevant?

I still stand that english nursery rhymes should be rated "too specific audience".

They absolutely should not. The proportion of users who know English nursery rhymes is higher than almost any approved question in the database. It's ridiculous that we're even having this conversation. Really, what it proves is that "too specific" means "I didn't know the answer".
irritatingadonies
Végzetúr poronty
46 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2217. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 18:52:49 (Válasz ImLittleJon #2216 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.10. 16:09:51
They absolutely should not. The proportion of users who know English nursery rhymes is higher than almost any approved question in the database. It's ridiculous that we're even having this conversation. Really, what it proves is that "too specific" means "I didn't know the answer".

Of course I didn't know the answer, but I googled it fine and answered the quiz correctly. It's still a stupid thing to ask. Gazillions of interesting trivia around, and we get nursery rhymes? Someone must be at the end of their wits...

No conversation is ridiculous, only people not used to doing them find them so.
much likedTheLion
Végzetúr poronty
123 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2218. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 19:48:51
Who is a Hiberniam?

An inhabitant of Ireland

This should be Hibernian...

Also the question about if yesterday was today then what is tomorrow? Shouldn't it be tomorrow? I mean if you asked me yesterday what is tomorrow I'd say tomorrow and if you ask me today I'd say tomorrow because tomorrow IS ALWAYS TOMORROW!!!
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2219. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 23:00:14
Kanye West is...?

The listed answers fail to include "A Jackass"

likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2220. hozzászólás - 2010.12.10. 23:01:51
Risking massive flames I'll post this one.

"When you have known him as long as I have you can call him John (Refering To Jack Daniels)" What Al Pacino movie is the following quote from?
Scent of a Woman
Scarface
Carlitos Way
Devils Advocate
I happen to have seen this movie more than once, so I could answer it, but I'd say this is way to specific to be in the quiz.
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőRésföld - a HKK legújabb kiegészítője