Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Lord Jomes

Oldal: 1
Dátum: 2010.02.15. 03:34:12
I was hoping no one would bring up the actual number of individual atoms. Hats off to you, Alatus. It all depends on how the question was worded. I made sure to include "body mass" in my version of the question to make it correct for my argument

Thanks for adding the info on Oxygen. I wasn't stating that I didn't understand the basics of Chemistry. I wasn't understanding the arguments against the question using dioxygen vs. elemental oxygen, or the element of "water" for that matter.

You could ask either form of the question (mass/atoms) and have it be a pretty decent question. I feel mass is less formal and easier to comprehend, but that might just be me. It just has to be worded correctly.
Dátum: 2010.02.14. 00:25:21
Irinia, you've lost me. I haven't come across this question yet, but if it asks for the element that most of a human body's mass is comprised of, then the answer is absolutely Oxygen (by a huge margin). The question is technical, but its also easy to look up, and is an interesting fact (at least to me).

Oxygen is a major part of organic chemistry and is found in most of the organic compounds that a human is made of. I don't understand what you were saying about dual meanings, forms of oxygen, and their pertinence to the question. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand. In my opinion, the question seems straightforward and correct.
Dátum: 2010.02.13. 00:44:53
Water is not an element. Oxygen makes up about 65% of the human body, three times the percentage of any other element. The answer is correct
Dátum: 2010.02.13. 00:28:34
Sorry stekkos, I was just trying to prove the question wasn't accurate. I enjoy trivia and learning from it, and strongly feel that a question (and answer) should be unambiguous and irrefutable. Zoology happens to be the field I work in, with sharks and rays oddly enough, so I have more knowledge than some regarding those critters You've been here longer, I figured the moderators would want more than me just saying, "This question is wrong!"
Dátum: 2010.02.12. 00:54:40
Stingrays are a type of...Shark.

This question is very close to correct, but needs to be reworked. Stingrays are most closely related to...Sharks, would be fine. I may just being picky, but to me trivia should be correct, and rays are not types of sharks.

If I asked the question, Iguanas are a type of...and had the answer be "snake" most people would not agree. Yet lizards and snakes are classified under the same order, Squamata. They are very closely related, but not the same and each goes into its separate suborder. Sharks and rays belong to the same subclass, Elasmobranchii. Sharks are then placed into superorder Selachimorpha and rays into Batoidea. Ergo, they are not the same, but are closely related.
Dátum: 2010.02.11. 00:33:00
In Lord of the Ring, what form did the firework lit by Mary and his friend at the festival?

I think this was how this question was posted. Just needs better wording and a spelling correction. Also, in the book Gandalf ignited his fireworks without hobbit help.

In the cinema version of The Lord of the Rings, what form did the firework lit by Merry and Pippin take?
Dátum: 2010.02.10. 01:13:17
What does a montreme mean?

I only have an issue with how the question is worded. Better perhaps, "Which of the following describes a Monotreme?" It seems like the question is asking what "monotreme" means.

Side note trivia: Monotreme is latin, and roughly translates to "one hole." This refers to the lack of separate urogenital and anal openings found in its members. Like birds, monotremes have a "unihole" or cloaca. Unihole is a great made up word
Dátum: 2010.02.07. 14:19:06
Stekkos,

I was just being picky with the sunset question, but I disagree that with you about the primary color question not being confusing. If you are setting up a physics experiment to study how light mixes (Do people just not do this in school anymore?) you use red, green, and blue light to produce others. Yellow is a secondary color.

Maybe you are more familiar with mixing pigments in art class and recognize red, yellow, and blue as primaries. Yellow is a primary color.

This question has two correct answers, and it's not like one of them is any better than the other. A primary color doesn't beat a secondary color in a game of color poker...color football, maybe. I did answer the question wrong. It is confusing.
Dátum: 2010.02.07. 01:47:23
What is the reason for the colors in a sunset?
Fairy dust
pollution or dust
swap gas
glowing Eye of the sun

I'm not sure what the glowing Eye of the sun is, but Sol is the source for the wondrous colors in a sunset. Rayleigh scattering makes the noon sky blue and the dawn red. Pollution or dust can increase the effect, but it can also hinder it. Heavily polluted cities are seldom known for their great sunsets. I might be splitting matchsticks, and being too technical, but pollution or dust simply are not the reasons we see the sky change hues. The physics of light, air particles, and the rotation of the Earth are the reasons.
Dátum: 2010.02.06. 12:59:29
What best describes the color yellow?
a)primary color
b)secondary color
c)tertiary color

Common guys, yellow is both a primary and a secondary color!

In additive color mixing red, green, and blue are the primary colors. The average person is likely to know this.

Subtractive color mixing deals mostly with printers. Here yellow is a primary color along with cyan, and magenta.
Dátum: 2010.02.05. 13:08:16
I just have to post my two cents.

M4jor P4yne was right about the spider question being a bad question. There is no such thing as a "species group." The closest thing to a "species group" would be a genus, and at that level scorpions and spiders share no close ancestry. A proper answer could be, "They are both members of the same class." Also there are no such things as poisonous spiders, poisonous scorpions, or poisonous snakes. Similarly there are no such things as venomous ivy, venomous dart frogs, or venomous mushrooms. Poison and venom are not interchangeable words.

I have another beef with a question that states that the Roman God of War was named after the planet Mars. Hopefully, I misread that question. That's like saying the Nordic God of Thunder was named after the day of Thursday.
Dátum: 2010.02.01. 13:01:56
Which is not a real dinosaur? Pterodactyl is included in the choices, but is not the correct answer.

While I'm not aware of a gigasaurus, I know that pterodactyls are an extinct group of reptiles not related to dinosauria at all. Throw out the fake dino, and you have a decent question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur

It's like asking which is not a real mammal?

a) A dog

b) a bird

c) a bigfoot

d) a cat

And having the correct answer be "bigfoot"!
Oldal: 1