Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Dancer

Oldal: 12345678910
Dátum: 2012.12.27. 09:11:26
What is the maximum length an ounce of gold can be stretched into a wire?
I'm sure that i've seen this posted before, but cant find it.
Surely
Can someone please explain it to me?

Sounds so much like how long is a piece of string?

And I am slightly dubious to find the given answer is a nice round 50m.

I found this posted on the world gold council page, and seemingly repeated on others with no basis of proof, "One ounce of gold can be stretched to a length of 50 miles; the resulting wire would be just five microns wide." But that says nothing about it being the maximum length. And if that is true then, a wire 1 micron wide would be 5 times longer......................etc.
And nowhere on the net that I have found is there anything to say what the longest thread ever made from an ounce of gold is.

*Modified*
Also just found this..........................................."How long can you stretch an ounce of gold?

of gold we can obtain a wire (0,000 005 in diameter) long of 62 miles.
Though again you will note that this is theoretical.
Dátum: 2012.12.19. 05:26:27
This question was refused, because.........."Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question."

Which is the best definition of Lexical?

Of or relating to words or dictionaries.
A drunken insult.
Nothing, I just made it up and use it to look clever.
It is a perfect example of a malapropism.

Yes three of the answers are wrong, but I thought that was the point................But none are ambiguous, and only one answer is the correct definition.
At least my question teaches the correct meaning of lexical.................

Maybe my next question will be "What is the definition of ambiguous!!!"

I wouldn't be so upset if it wasnt for the fact that the very next question I answered in the database was this one, where the answers make no sense whatsoever to the question............

According to legend you cant see a vampire when you try to take a________?
...photograph
....stake to it's heart
.... holy water to its face
....cross in its face
( BTW, I love the way the poster isn't sure about the apostrophe in it's, so decides to use it once and not the other times, very precise.)

Try to take a cross in its face?? !!!!!
Try to take a holy water to it's face ??!!!
Cant see a vampire when you try to take a photograph?
Yes I know that you cant see a vampire when you try to photograph ONE,
But I also know that I have never seen a vampire when i tried to take a photograph. Call me pedantic, but i try not to be ambiguous!

And there lies the problem, if the evaluators cannot judge the language well enough that these trashy ones get through, how can they judge on legitimate ones with no spelling or grammatical errors?
Dátum: 2012.12.18. 12:36:05
Should be grieve, not grief.
Dátum: 2012.12.18. 03:04:16
Who was known as ''the Rocket'' from the Montreal's Canadien?

Montreal Canadiens
Dátum: 2012.12.16. 14:02:30
In which year Soviet Union and Nazi Germany signed Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact?

Grammar.
Dátum: 2012.12.16. 12:39:17
Whom did Achilles grief over after he took her life during his truce with Priam?
Spelling.
Dátum: 2012.12.16. 11:50:38
Which movie had a brother and sister who was drunk off absynth, kiss each other?

Spelling and grammar.

But, at least I now have an example of a question that has good "Interesting lexical knowledge(??)" Especially about such a famous and well known movie!!
Dátum: 2012.12.16. 04:44:23
Idézet: TheLion - 2012.12.14. 21:12:27
What city where legendary English Gangster's The Krays from?

Also, Gangster's, does not need a capital, or a possessive apostrophe.
Dátum: 2012.12.16. 04:25:23
How many wives did Henry VIII behead?

Call me pedantic, but he beheaded none of his wives. He had 2 of them beheaded.
But, personally, beheaded none.
Dátum: 2012.12.16. 03:30:38
Who invented Bicycle?

and to think my questions were rejected....
Dátum: 2012.12.13. 19:45:15
How was the first to write about "The Necronomicon"?

How actually checks these questions before they are accepted?
But why, dosn't know !!
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 15:33:27
Q- Where can you find the Big Ben ?

No need for "the".
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 14:26:33
Recently started playing D&D online, and first impressions are great.
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 14:13:18
Idézet: Hexonx - 2012.04.14. 05:22:22
Idézet: wako - 2012.02.23. 23:12:48
Im not sure how far yall go with language but world 1 Saladin just called me a cunt.

many people in Britain and Austrailia actually use it among frends as a term of endearment).

HUMMMM ... Very interesting, looks like it depends on which side of the lake you are on!!!

I am English, and can assure you that it is classed as the worst swear word here too.
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 13:57:16
Q- Who is the god of wine?
Answer - dionisos.

Incorrect spelling, should be Dionysus (most common), or Dionysos seems acceptable as well.

Also, being slightly pedantic, Dionysus was the Greek god. Bacchus being the Roman version.

My favourite God !!!
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 13:43:04
LOL, had to modify my posts, because of lots of errors!!
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 08:31:18
Ruler of the Planet.
Translation/spelling/grammar corrections.

Years has passed since the doomlords has taken back the Surface and destroyed the last guardians of the Enemy, They faced other challenges since that : they imprisoned the enraged giant dragon, Landragor, and defeated the xenomorph army. The time has come to decide who is the most powerful doomlord, who will be the Ruler of the Planet. (should end with a question mark)
The Pyramid of Dread raises above the horizont like a millenarian memento of the Enemy. So far, no one was able to make it to the top alive. But now, a race begins: whoever gets to the top of this deadly pyramid first, will be the Ruler of the Planet...

All underlined are incorrect. Though some of the commas are debatable.

millenarian, definition: 1: Of or relating to belief in a millennium.
2: Of or relating to 1000 years.
And from Wikipedia: Millenarianism (also millenarism) is the belief by a religious, social, or political group or movement in a coming major transformation of society, after which all things will be changed, based on a one-thousand-year cycle.

Not sure that any of these fit the usage here.
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 07:40:14
Hunting explanation............

"You can hunt for the creatures of the Surface to gain their soul-energy."
Better is "You can hunt the creatures of the surface to take their soul energy.

"You can hunt until you have action points,"
Replace "until" with while, or "using action points" is probably better. Or even "You use your action points to hunt"

"and you can start even 20 hunts at a time with one click."
Better would be.............
In the beginning you can start up to 20 hunts with one click. (personally, I would add that this can be increased later in the game. This accentuates to the player that there is in game development.)

"You can spend the soul-energy you get to increase your abilities or buy items from the soul-huckster."
"or to buy".
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 07:28:15
Relics page............Familiar descriptions...................
"For start, you can have only 1 familiar,"
bad English, better is "To start off" or simply "To start".
Dátum: 2012.12.08. 07:12:31
Idézet: ardent - 2012.12.06. 15:30:49

You are indeed doing a good job overall, all I am asking is that whenever an event has the potential to have great costs, take additional time and fix the common sense stuff ( like translations and event description ).

My opinion is that this event was rushed through, because someone wanted money for christmas shopping.
Oldal: 12345678910