Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Viridel

Dátum: 2010.03.31. 04:15:05
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.03.30. 16:01:56
The quiz feature is a fun aspect of the game. Are there false positives and false negatives in the evaluation process? You bet. Does that make the quiz feature not fun? Not in my opinion. So the question is, is there a better evaluation system that would produce more false positives and false negatives? I can't think of one. Can you? I think the best thing to do is to work within the system to improve it. One way to do that is to report (in a polite tone) every instance of a bad question that made it through. Another way would be to become one of the moderators yourself, though it's not clear how to be chosen for that. (Given how long my current question has been under evaluation, they need to choose some more moderators...) I understand the frustration that the system isn't as good as it might be, but I think it's better than nothing, especially as there isn't likely to be a consensus of where the line should be drawn. Anyway, that's my opinion.

The line should simply be that NO question should be kicked out for being "too specific". But after 10 answers, if 3 or fewer got it right (less than 40%), then it goes to Moderation to determine if it's a fair/reasonable question; and it should be auto-kicked if it's less than 40% accuracy after 50 questions.

The first moderation should only verify the accuracy of the answer and FIX any spelling & grammar errors. That way nobody can get mad that their question got kicked, and if it gets removed later, it's because the user-base of Doomlords said it was too difficult. And really, regardless of the Moderator opinion on the matter, the only people who matter are the users - the current system simply does not represent that.
Dátum: 2010.03.31. 04:08:27
Idézet: Norach - 2010.03.30. 14:39:17
Your quiz question is valued as „Bad question”!
Explanation: According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

The question was :
10 years before Thermopylae, the Persian's first assault against the Greek city states was twarted away by the Athenian army in battle at ...

Megara
Marathon
Plataies
Babylon

and the right answer is of course (b)

Considering the fact that there is an Olympic event of 40 Kms distance for the past 112 years of world-wide world-known Olympic Games called Marathon Road
the evaluators knowledge is either pretty limited to Madonna music or their way of thinking is simple incomprehensible by me. I simply cannot understand how the above question is more narrowed than the already validated question over which was Madonna's first album.

In any case I rest my case.

Too much of a reading jumble. 10 years & Thermopylae are not assets to the question; "twarted" is misspelled, and an unnecessarily uncommon word (try defeated); and there's no hint in the question as to the answer. Sure Marathon is the right answer - doesn't mean the rest are not possible.

Here's the same question, which would likely (because in quiz review, nothing is certain) be approved:

Which Ancient Greek city had a sport named after it, in celebration of a successful defense against the Persians?
Marathon
Steeplechase
Javelin
Discus

Just my opinion...
Dátum: 2010.03.31. 01:54:45
Idézet: Banned - 2010.03.30. 21:35:31
Do your homework people....

Who was the first quadriplegic to sail around Britain?

Of course, it could also be asked if this question isn't a little too specific for a global game... But it's a European question, so I guess that's why it passed.
Dátum: 2010.03.31. 01:51:42
Idézet: champon7 - 2010.03.31. 00:20:03
I think it is time I decided to add my thoughts as well, at first I was angry like most people but as I was reading a question came to mind!

What happens when most of the questions have already been asked?

In other words all the questions defined in the rule, people have filled the database with the valid ones and are only left with invalid questions!

I don't think this can ever really happen. Trivial Pursuit has approx. 20,000 question PER BOX (and there are at least a dozen versions in North America)

Also this my seem like a stupid question but, why were questions about religion allowed to be asked?

I am concerned for the problems that can arise with such a touchy subject!

And I've said this same thing in the past - there is nothing more divisive than religion, and in a global game, philosophical differences are very dangerous. But the same thing happened when I mentioned it before as will happen now.

Nothing.

I think another issue that hasn't been discussed is the fact that we are not actually notified exactly what is wrong with our questions, which normally raises blood pressure even more!

If you could add another section to the questions marked incorrect to say 'incorrect spelling or incorrectly worded', it might help people to understand a bit better that their question isn't exactly bad, just incorrectly worded or has spelling mistakes!

The quiz component is both the best and worst part of the game. It certainly has the potential to become "awesome", but the administration of it currently is rather atrocious.
Dátum: 2010.03.30. 04:20:13
Idézet: BuckNaked - 2010.03.30. 01:45:28
The question "Where is Canada's only desert?" It says "Osoyoos, BC" is the correct answer. This is wrong. The correct answer is one of the options "Drumheller, AB". Having grown up 30 min away from Osoyoos and having spent many summers in Drumheller, I can assure you that Osoyoos gets more rainfall annually.

Funny, as an Alberta boy born-and-bred, I had no idea Drumheller would be considered a desert... That's just a nasty question, and should be kicked.
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 22:33:57
In Lord of the Rings, how many rings were given to Elven Kings?

Give me a break - not only is this nothing close to common knowledge, but the answer is definitely not easy to find.

In Tunisia, what is the maximum number of wives you are allowed to have?

Here's the answer:
Islam limited the number of wives for a Muslim man to have at one time to four. Before Islam, there were some men with 6,7,8 or rarely 10 and even 15 wives. Muslims are allowed to up to four wives on at one time on condition to treat them and deal with them equally and fairly. Due to the difficulty to meet this condition, Muslims are encouraged to have only one wife. By the way, no holy books in any religion limited the number of wives one can have. Limiting them to one in some religions is imposed only by religious leaders.

Slightly ambiguous, don't you think?

Who wrote the book the Capital? (and note the capitalization)

I dunno... But it wasn't Karl Marx - He wrote Das Capital

What leader of Buddhist Tibet was exiled after the communist Chinese invaded and conquered Tibet during the 1950s?

With optional answers of four different "Lamas" - the answer is not easily found, nor guessed. Might as well ask who the Pope was during WW2.
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 22:05:04
Jerko's incessant whining makes me sad... Can we give him a day off?
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 21:56:35
Idézet: Jerko - 2010.03.29. 20:52:51
The battle system is bugged or something .

The only thing bugged is your sense of self-worth.
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 15:46:12
Idézet: Rasputin - 2010.03.29. 14:26:57
This question was ejected:

Which Beatle played bass guitar?

George Harrison
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Ringo Starr

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

Yet I just received this question, which is more difficult than the one I just had rejected:

Which of the following has not played drums for The Who?
Kenny Jones
Zak Starkey
Keith Moon
Bill Bruford

Please help.

This is atrocious, and complete proof that the Quiz evaluation system needs a significant overhaul.
Dátum: 2010.03.29. 05:56:08
Idézet: Gorgo - 2010.03.28. 19:44:37
BAD QUESTION PLEASE REMOVE:

Which quarterback has won 3 superbowl trophies?
Joe Montana
Tom Brady
Bart Star
Terry Bradshaw

The answer displayed was Joe Montana.

While this is technically correct since Montana has 4 trophies, Bradshaw also has 4, and Brady has 3. So it is a bad question, since Montana, Bradshaw or Brady would be correct.

Are you sure you have the question correct? As I recall, the question is "Which quarterback has won 3 Super Bowl MVP trophies?"

Makes a big difference.
Dátum: 2010.03.28. 16:38:55
Neither of those questions should be in. There are WAYYY too many crazy-obscure Lit questions in the Quiz, so I agree with you there... But US Zip Codes? If you're asking about Beverly Hills 90210, then fine... Anything else on the topic is far too obscure for an International audience.
Dátum: 2010.03.28. 16:12:58
What type of dog has hair instead of fur?
Hound
Bulldog
Golden Retriever
Poodle

Ummm, hair IS fur (and vice versa)
Dátum: 2010.03.25. 16:32:10
Who wrote "Le Pere Goriot" ?
Emile Zola
Gustave Flaubert
Jack Kerouac
Honore de Balzac

Enough with the damn Literature questions already! My sports questions get rejected, yet the quiz is flooded with obscure Arts & Lit questions!

How many cities in the world named Alexandria?

Prove this... Impossible. Mods are sleeping on the job again.

Which planet is about twice size of Pluto in diameter?
Neptune
Mars
Venus
Mercury

Really? This is a common knowledge question, or one where the answer is easily found?
Dátum: 2010.03.24. 22:31:27
Idézet: Valkyrie - 2010.03.24. 19:43:03
How long is the longest word with unrepeated letters? (or something similar)

In what language!?

The language you are typing in right now... The language used in every other question and game rules. This is an English game, the answer is *most likely* not something in Swahili - Ya think?
Dátum: 2010.03.24. 18:07:19
National Hockey League (NHL) - New Jersey ______?
Devils
Demons
Angels
Saints

According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

Wonderful! They have taken out "Special Knowledge" as a refusal criteria... But it's then been replaced my "ambiguous". Ummm, who here knows what ambiguous means - it means multiple possible answers / interpretations. Last time I checked, a team name had an absolute, definite answer. So not only is this a continued example of geographical racism, a continued example of reviewers being shit at their jobs, but now they are just making up reasons to decline a question.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T SPEND MONEY TO SUPPORT THIS GAME!
Dátum: 2010.03.24. 17:34:19
Ok, these lumps of shit make it into the quiz

Who wrote the book Halo: Fall of Reach?
John Flanagan
David Clement-Davies
Eric Nylund*
Erin Hunter

Who wrote the Mistborn trilogy?
George R. R. Martin
Terry Pratchett
Brandon Sanderson*
Ed Greenwood

Who is Mercedes Lackey?
actress
politician
writer*
poet

In Maryland it is illegal to frighten who or what?
A Child
A Pigeon*
A Neighbour
A Dog

Which batsman has scored the most runs in test cricket ?
Ricky Pontin
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar

Which is NOT a recognised region of Scotch Whisky distillation and production?
Highland
Speyside
Moorland
Lowland

In a senior cat, what could be a symptom of arthritis?
reluctance to jump up or off of a couch or bed
restlessly racing up and down the stairs
obsessively licking the "poopy pants" region to clean
enthusiastically playing with a fishing pole toy

Yet this fails:

National Hockey League (NHL) - New Jersey ______?
Devils
Demons
Angels
Saints

According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

Wonderful! They have taken out "Special Knowledge" as a refusal criteria... But it's then been replaced my "ambiguous". Ummm, who here knows what ambiguous means - it means multiple possible answers / interpretations. Last time I checked, a team name had an absolute, definite answer. So not only is this a continued example of geographical racism, a continued example of reviewers being shit at their jobs, but now they are just making up reasons to decline a question.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T SPEND MONEY TO SUPPORT THIS GAME!
Dátum: 2010.03.23. 16:25:14
Idézet: Skapunkno1 - 2010.03.22. 18:32:12
Ive come across 2 questions I believe should be deleted.
1st How many days did it take god to create the earth. Not realy a fact is it?
2nd What shape is a stop sign. the answer was hexagonal. where I live they are round.
regards.

In Canada/US, they are Octagonal
Dátum: 2010.03.22. 17:14:24
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.03.19. 17:36:01
Mods - "Badminton" is still a banned word. Please either un-ban it, or explain the reasoning.

Glad to see the game admins pay such good attention to the forums...

"Badminton" is still a banned word. Please either un-ban it, or explain the reasoning.
Dátum: 2010.03.19. 17:36:01
Mods - "Badminton" is still a banned word. Please either un-ban it, or explain the reasoning.
Dátum: 2010.03.19. 17:35:05
Idézet: Ciphas - 2010.03.19. 17:08:44
I think this is a mistake :

How high is the highest peak in Europe?
Mount Blanc - 4810
Mount Everest - 8848
Mount Everest - 4810
Mount Blanc -8848

The answer I found :
Mount Elbrus, 5642m. in Caucasus :

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_highest_peak_in_Europe

I complained about this one a few months into World 1. Nice to see that it hasn't been kicked 9 months later.