Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Sbart

Dátum: 2011.06.24. 22:18:58
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.24. 15:55:18

Sbart, any amount of mercury, in any form is poison to us. Regardless of the effects it is still poisoning us, we just need a specific amount to feel it, or to be damaged by it. Iron and water are ESSENTIAL to our survival, but can cause problems at large doses. Still they are not considered poisonous or toxic to humans just because they can cause harm if misused. Mercury causes harm without any condition, amount or type only makes the harm more severe.

Funny, because last time I checked mercury compounds were still used in medicine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_%28dentistry%29). Although in decline, these compounds (amalgams) are poisonous to us in the same way that for example iron is.
I understand that if you haven´t studied pharmacy the concept that everything and nothing is poisonous is a bit strange, but I am not arguing that the question should be removed or even wrong. Just slightly modified.
Dátum: 2011.06.24. 10:55:41
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.24. 09:41:36
I said to a previous post about another question that i dont want this quiz to become a legal document were everything has to be defined at extreme detail. When we say poisonus, we mean it is toxic to humans. Water is NEVER toxic. At great quantitys it can cause even death due to cell membranes dessolving, but that is not what the question asks. Same with iron and titanium, anyone can find a way to kill you with them but they are not a poison to humans. Especially when talking about water or iron, they are essential for life.

So to avoid every little detail being contested, some things has to be taken for granded.

I would agree if the answer given in the question was an acute toxin, but it isn't (methylmercury would be, but as the question is worded it's just "mercury" which would indicate elementary metallic mercury which while toxic does damage on the same level as iron, although the dose level as easy of ingestion is lower). I can agree that it would be silly if the Quiz would turn into a legal document, but there is a line between questions that are of the "legal document type" and questions that are "correct enough". Remember that in principle people learn things from this quiz and it is nice if we don't teach people "wrong".

Very specifically in this problem is the definition of poisonous.
"The term poison with regards to biology and chemistry is often misused due to lack of a universal definition. Biologically speaking, any substance if given in large enough amounts is poisonous and can cause death."
"Paracelsus, the father of toxicology, once wrote: "Everything is poison, there is poison in everything. Only the dose makes a thing not a poison." The term "poison" is often used colloquially to describe any harmful substance, particularly corrosive substances, carcinogens, mutagens, teratogens and harmful pollutants, and to exaggerate the dangers of chemicals."
"In the medical sense, poisoning can be caused by less dangerous substances than those receiving the legal classification of "poison"."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison)

I could go on an argue about the difference between a toxin and a poison, but I think we both think that is unnecessary. I don't see what would be wrong in changing the question to what i proposed.
Dátum: 2011.06.24. 08:30:15
Idézet: Sbart - 2011.02.21. 14:04:06
The text from the Infection page after recovering from the Infection (emphasis mine):
"Congratulations! You have successfully freed yourself from the infection of the Enemy. In the moment of total recovery, each of your Ability Scores have been increased by 5. You have better control of your mind now: with mind boost, you can increase your abilities by 5 above their maximum level. In case of a victorious duel, you gain more SE from your infected opponents by the percentage rate of their infection. In addition, you can select a skill at level 68, another at 78 etc, and the selected skill's maximum is increased by 5 (but you cannot boost these even further)"

Mind-boost can't affect Abilities (Strength, Attack etc), and Abilities doesn't have any maximum. I am pretty sure abilities in this case should be skills.

I posted this in February and Keithos agreed that it should be fixed. At least on World 2 it still says Abilities and not Skills.
Dátum: 2011.06.24. 08:28:26
"You can battle the next epic monster in xx:xx time."

This is the text appearing after attacking the current epic monster. I think this should be:
"You can attack the epic monster again in xx:xx"
Dátum: 2011.06.24. 08:03:53
Idézet: MartinBV - 2011.06.23. 23:17:26
Idézet: Wtfakkeltje - 2011.06.23. 17:45:58
Which of these is poisonous?
Iron
Mercury
Titanium
Hydrogen

Obviously, you wouldn't want to be drinking mercury. But I'm sure the other options would do pretty much the same thing to you if you ingest them.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
-Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim

That might be so, but your blood consists loads of iron, in fact it's pretty vital to your survival. Hydrogen is also abundant in every cell in your body, so calling it poisonous is the same as calling water poisonous, literally. Titanium is used in most sunscreen and loads of cosmetics, as well as in jewelery, and body implants, precisely because it's non-toxic, that leaves mercury. I sure wouldn't want any of that on my skin or in my food.

Actually, water can be poisonous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication.
Iron, while vital for life, can also be poisonous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_poisoning
Even titanium, considered in many cases to be inert, can be poisonous: http://consumercide.com/health/dent-toxtitanium.html

The entire thing is that when you start looking at things in more detail, everything is potentially poisonous, it is only a question of dosage. Morphine for example is used as a pain killer, but a small increase in dosage and you stop breathing.

Of the substances mentioned in the question, Mercury is the most poisonous. Even then, mercury is not acutely toxic (i.e. you don't die immediately from getting it in your food or on your skin) but rather mercury causes damage that can kill you hours or even months later.

Simply chaining the question to "Which of these substances are the most poisonous to humans?" would solve everything.
Dátum: 2011.06.21. 09:15:21
Who was the third man to walk on the moon?
Colonel Edwin Aldrin Jr
Alan L. Bean
Neil Armstrong
Charles P. Conrad

Nothing wrong with the question, but it doesn't it fall under the "second, third"-type of questions? As in "Who came second in the competition?" or "What is the forth most common cause of <blip>?".
Dátum: 2011.06.17. 12:59:06
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.06.16. 13:08:45
Sbart, those stats do not have "hover above" information because we thought it's pretty obvious

I didn't complain that they were difficult to understand, but that they are not included in "the List" of bonuses you currently have, displayed as "Bonuses" on the character sheet.
Dátum: 2011.06.17. 09:14:34
Who has written the book "Solaris"?

Shouldn't this be:
"Who wrote the book "Solaris"?"
Dátum: 2011.06.17. 09:13:12
Idézet: Denna - 2011.06.16. 19:42:34
Quiz categorization: 42

2011.06.16. .......................You get 61 soul-energy as a reward for categorizing.
2011.06.15. .......................You get 122 soul-energy as a reward for categorizing.
2011.06.14. .......................You get 183 soul-energy as a reward for categorizing.
2011.06.13. ...................... You get 61 soul-energy as a reward for categorizing.
2011.06.12. .......................You get 153 soul-energy as a reward for categorizing.
2011.06.11. ........................You get 702 soul-energy as a reward for categorizing.

I expected more SE

Depends if you get this only the first time a question is categorized or every time you get the right categorization on a question. If it is the second case (which i think it is), then it probably ok since you will in effect get "extra" SE from the categorization every time you answer quiz questions.
Dátum: 2011.06.16. 13:46:08
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.06.16. 13:08:45
Sbart, those stats do not have "hover above" information because we thought it's pretty obvious

I agree with you that some descriptions are not very precise, you can only guess at the exact mechanism. We tried to make the original descriptions as precise as possible, but since we are continuously developing the game, sometimes new things do not get a sufficiently detailed information. If you point out specific problems we will try to fill in the gap. But, of course, there is always some information you have to discover yourself...

The thing is that really isn´t any way to explore some of these things, like how Critical from skills and equipment interact since we can´t see our opponents skill.
Furthermore there is still the problem that some things are not called the same thing consistently: Stun/Paralyzation and Quest/Mission are the two I can recall right now.
Dátum: 2011.06.15. 12:45:14
On the periodic table what is: SN?
Selenium
Tin
Francium
Silver

Should be Sn, not SN.
Dátum: 2011.06.14. 09:56:44
Since this hasen't been answered I post it again:
The description about Familiars says that : "Later on there will be a relic which makes it possible to increase the familiars base pet to yours (by decreasing its normal level by the same amount)."

Is this Relic available? If yes, from where (Soul-huckster?)? If no, when will it be?
Dátum: 2011.06.14. 09:06:47
Sorry for going on about this, but...

Another problem with the "hover above the stat to get a description" is that you can only do this after you have bought an item that has the stat.

Related to this, why are only some things displayed under bonuses? Things like "Extra damage against epic monsters", "Extra SE from duels", and "mana regeneration" is not displayed (probably a few more).
Dátum: 2011.06.10. 09:20:25
On World 2 the Soul Huckster does not sell the Wand of Detection.

About the Platinum Reward: Do you have to have three gold rewards to be able to get a Platinum reward or can you get a Platinum reward if you have only one Gold reward?
Dátum: 2011.06.10. 09:18:20
I have 52 "correctly" categorized questions according to my character sheet, and got my first SE reward today. Is that correct or should it work some other way?
Dátum: 2011.06.09. 13:48:57
Questions, round 2.

Taken from the Map event page:
"The chance to find a map piece is 2% (plus 0,5%, if you bought the magic wand of detection from the soul-huckster). The chance is affected by the number of the followers the soul-huckster have, and any possible prizes you won in previous map events. The less minions she have, the higher the chance!"
This doesn't mention the Map finding skill. Is it still in effect for this Event?
Dátum: 2011.06.09. 08:07:12
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2011.06.08. 23:22:35
When are we going to start receiving the SE?
I have categorized a few already (and it is displayed on my character page), but no SE yet.

Cruel.

I think you got the SE, it's just that you get it as part of Recommendation. As such it is not displayed separately anywhere, and you can't see the difference between "did my Torture chamber targets produce much SE today" and "I got some SE from categorization".
Dátum: 2011.06.08. 15:27:39
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.06.08. 14:34:29
Regarding the nemesis:
it gets deleted when the players logs in the next time after the event is over. So maybe that player did not log in since.

Then why do i still have my Nemesis Relic? The event was over some time ago and I have logged in every day.
Dátum: 2011.06.08. 11:41:47
Nice.

And now, the questions:

1. About the rewards: Is it only four rewards and not the additional rewards that were possible to chose from during the "Huckster war" event?

2. About the Handicap: Some relics could be gained during different Events (i.e. from the Huckster war event), like the Necklace of bargain and Belt of specialization. Do you get a penalty if you have two Relics that you can get from the Map event or if you got two relics from previous map events.

If the answer to 1 is that it is only the four Relics and the answer to 2 is that is if you have two Relics (independently of where you got them), then people who took a Relic not available from the Map event (but from the Huckster War event) get an advantage.
Dátum: 2011.06.08. 08:47:54
Idézet: manunkind - 2011.06.08. 05:18:57
the categories need to be mutually exclusive. what's the difference between "Chronometry, noteworthy dates" and "History > > When did it happen?" wouldn't Chronometry qualify under "Mathematics > > Units of measure - mathematics?"

I agree.

And according to the internal definition:
Chronometry, noteworthy dates
This category is for the „How many hours are in a week?” or „How many months have 30 days?” or „Which is the date of the winter solstice?”or any similar questions.