Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - comingfromothergamess

Oldal: 1
Dátum: 2011.05.30. 17:02:54
Been a long time since I posted in the forums, but oh well. In honor of being able to categorize questions now, let us give thanks by making every question be categorized under 'only a special group of people would know..' A reminder of sorts of what we dealt with in the past as well as we all 'getting the categorization right' since the most players would have chosen it.
Dátum: 2010.09.21. 20:06:05
Imlittlejon, will answer your post later since this is gonna go on for several more days anyway. You atleast got the need to 'dumb it down'. Now, just need to help it be 'less hard to understand.' Please don't reply to this on the debate, just save it for my later reply to the respective post.

@Sacrosanct:

I also can't see very much wrong with it either.

Maybe, 'Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings trilogy' ' ? As there have been more than one release of it ( from the late 70s, early 80s ) to extended editions of today's 'version' of it.

How about this question for submission?

What is current consensus about the quiz system?

A. Admin are dumbasses
B. Quiz system needs to be revamped better.
C. Elminate the 'Special Group' excuse altogether and let evaluators actually be able to type in why it is rejected.
D. All of the above.
Dátum: 2010.09.20. 18:16:35
People can find stuff hard to understand when they are shown to be wrong.

The Trumpage I was talking about is your concept of 'general knowledge' in reference to the question. His grandma opinion carries more weight than your for the general knowledge aspect. Also..

It is obvious the question system is screwy. Until it is fixed, gonna be done by the suggested ways in that post that you partially quoted. Heck maybe even trying the question out on the forums via PMing people like stekkos or chaotic for testrun.

Basically, cut down on the vocab and be more open-minded as to why it could have been counted as not accepted. Just assuming that something is 'general knowledge' period is not good as has been shown by multiple people ( not including me ) versus just you. 'General knowledge amongst gardeners' may be more accurate versus just 'general knowledge'. To pull from cruel's whining a bit, your concept of 'general knowledge' encompassed everywhere from land, sea, planets, solar system, universe that everyone knew this and that everyone had a gardening book with a section..etc.
Dátum: 2010.09.20. 00:56:52
Different evaluator's different calls. Also, you have to take into account who you are asking ( much moreso in person than on forums ), cause on forums people, you ask that and people recognize NFL. Ask that in a casual conversation, might mistake it for soccer ( though that version of the word is spelled some kinda marked u instead of double o, and a bol instead of ball and slightly different pronunciation ).

Also, asking me 'who the best footplayer is' is not a proper format for submitting to the quiz. Not saying that you tried to submit that, but there is some kinda proper format for questions to be submitted to be able to be accepted. This is with us learning from trial and error.
Dátum: 2010.09.19. 23:12:04
@Cruel01:

In English, the post you quoted mainly aimed at Viridel's post. Also, notice the 'maybe' part of the post that tried to help yours. Meaning it might not have been the thing you needed. Just the when I looked up the question within wiki, it made note of 'the world's largest.' Hence why possibly what you needed was to stick 'in the world' at the end. Supported ChaoticGemini's post, that has it be more 'clear/less vocabulary' as well as sticking a statistic in there to help a person search for the correct 'largest land-living'.

I am not an evaluator, I am just trying to help get the question submitted correctly. Though according to Chaotic's post, it was already submitted, accepted, and in English.

@D00ml0rd:

Within those answers, wrestler, clock, tornado, and apple do not get capitalized.
Dátum: 2010.09.19. 07:03:49
You might be thinking of the wrong meaning. Terrestrial in the manner of his question is land-based, as opposed to underwater species or 'both combined'. Not space-y definition of the word. As in 'Which animal is considered the largest land-based arthropod?'

I was trying to aim toward 'bad' rather than 'incorrect' question. Asking what is the largest ____ in the world is different than what is the largest ____ in North America.
Dátum: 2010.09.19. 05:55:54
Maybe you should have put 'in the world' in the question?
Dátum: 2010.09.18. 23:27:30
Thank you ChaoticGemini's grandma for trumping majority of his points. Point of quiz being screwy, I agree with. This could be all be solved by...what now?

Trying the submitted suggestions and seeing how it works and taking into account my three 'step' process to ( not weightloss, but.. ) the Final Fantasy Question. How being too abbreviated ( or in jon's case too specific/vocabulary ) in regards to concept of general knowledge and how when I spelled it all the way out ( aka simplified it ), the question got through.
Dátum: 2010.09.17. 22:34:12
Oh boy. First off, as you can see throughout the thread, plenty of questions that 'were accepted' could easily fall under the special group excuse. Used too often for some questions, not enough for others. That aside..

General knowledge. It can be generally that broccolli and cabbage fall under being a plant. Kale possibly falls under 'see it, but not know the name of it' type thing. My experience with kale is the type of kale that is put in the salad bar of restaurants along with fake fruit and such to decorate ( but not be consumed ) the salad bar. When you go into more specifics about something ( especially if you use species name, certain words that fall under the specifics category thing, etc. ), things leave the general knowledge area and more into the special group of people. Let's look at a better example that brings in more people than 'just us'.

Lots of people know that Obama passed health care reform, right? Now do they know the exact legal of the healthcare reform? Exact last fine print detail? Anything that might have been 'packaged' / removed from original submittion with the healthcare reform so that that particular party member(s) would vote for it? Not as many. In english, it might be considered 'general knowledge' that Obama passed health care reform. It is not 'general knowledge' as to what was exactly in it.

Granted I wiki'ed the species name ( copy and paste ) and it took me straight to the article for it and answers. However, if you have to google it, wiki it, 'whatever search you do to search for it', then it is leaving the realm of general knowledge. Longer it takes to 'google/search' for it, then the more of the leaving the realm of general knowledge.

Now let's take a look at the question.

'Which of these is not a cultivar of the species brassica oleracea'

Amongst the answers: People might have a general idea of what broccoli and cabbage might be, and (possibly ) less than that amount of people can guess what kale is, but chard doesn't seem to be used as often as say broccoli. Not cultivar and Brassica oleracea. This atleast one ( and likely both ) being 'terms' that they have to look up ( leaving the realm of general knowledge ). Braassica Oleracea to know what the is being asked about. Cultivar to know what is being requested as of Brassica Oleracea.

Now let's rephrase that question.

'Which of these is not of the same plant species ( Brassica oleracea ) ' ?

There they only have to look up that name ( which isn't general knowledge ) and within the article that is being looked at, they already know what to look for within the article in respect to the question. They may not even have to know what all the answers are exactly and still are able to answer the question.

Another thing encompassing all this in the nice time limit of 'equal to one hunt' for each question. Some of the questions are easily 'google-able.' Some are not.

And so far we have an evaluator and another player ( dunno if also an evaluator ) that basically agree with me. Stekkos even suggested that you take the word of cultivar and make it into a question.

If you still don't get the point. I can break down the Moon landing as another example for ya.
Dátum: 2010.09.17. 14:50:34
@warkeeper:

Welcome to the early days of quiz submitting and how it is still a bit screwed up. Essentially, try a different one.
Dátum: 2010.09.17. 03:23:55
@Warkeeper:

It could be that you made the question 'too easy' given the answers.

@ImlittleJohn:

Actually, when it comes to scientific names and thereof, which only botanists ( studiers of plant life ) would know ( and some other people, but certain not as many as you think ). It's not pretty general knowledge. I didn't even know what a cultivar was. Let's just leave it at that. Cause if we wind up going into argument/debate about it, then all the more shows it isn't general knowledge / question for the game.
Dátum: 2010.09.14. 20:39:39
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2010.09.14. 03:35:09
Thank you for the reply.

Question 1:
The problem really was the word Amazon. It is blocked for some reason.

Question 2:
The other options you mention are not one my options. So there is no ambiguity there.
Basically what you are saying is that if I ask what the Moon is: an animal, a country, a natural satellite, a person, the question would be invalid because there is also one million other things that are called the Moon. I can't agree with that. I would agree if the question was not multiple choice though.

Question 3:
That is incorrect. The crisis only became global after Lehman failed and all the markets started to fear what would happen to other banks worldwide.

Cruel.

Question 1:

Don't know why. Maybe can try the other names it goes by like Rio Amazonas or something ( Portugese and/or Spanish name for it ). Could be that Amazon is typically thought as the website of Amazon. All else fails, try another river.

Question 2:

Essentially it boils down to, you asked too general a question when it can be called '4 different things'. Taking out 2 of them ( album and band ), and you get left with 2 substantially different things it could be despite what you have amongst the answers. Take what I did for the question regarding FF7. I used abbreviations that would 'normally' be recognizable anywhere on the web. However, it got rejected. Tried again spelling out the system name and got lucky with an evaluator that had a brain. Got more specific ( less abbreviation ) and got the question through. Try this: Instead of doing 'What is Apurímac' ? Maybe try doing 'What is the Apurímac River' or something like that and adjust the answers accordingly.

Question 3:

There were factors outside of Lehman that 'helped it' and factors that less up to the fall of lehmn. Making the start of it all 'happen earlier.' Just like Stekkos said, the fact that it is being debated means it can't be done as a question. Try another and move on.
Dátum: 2010.09.14. 03:00:24
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2010.09.14. 00:53:18
Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.13. 19:10:52
Okay evidently quiz people are weird. If your question is 'already in the database' , it still might be accepted despite being 'told no'. Here was submitted.

uestion Rate of correct answers
At what percentage of health can you no longer duel until you heal enough hitpoints through any means? 100%
At what level can you begin to learn skills? 100%

Also, here apparently either different evaluater or something..

First attempt..

Who is the main male protagonist in the game FFVII ( PS1 )?

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

Second attempt..

Who is the main male protagonist in the game FFVII of the Playstation 1 system?

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

Third attempt...

Who is the main male protagonist in the game of Final Fantasy 7 of the Playstation 1 system?

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

Got accepted, got the se reward and got the quest for it completed.

I had your second attempt after reading your post here. I knew you were trying to get the question through, so I marked it as a spelling error so you could write out the game title without loosing the SE for a question.

I think what you are trying to point out with the 100% thing at the start of your post is not true. If your question was not accepted, it will list it on your quiz page at 100% because the evaluator got the question correct. (0% if they got it wrong.) You will see the number never changes, because no other answers will be returned for the question since it was rejected.

Thank you for clarifying the 100% thing and thanks for not giving my question the 'only a special group' excuse that many of the 'accepted' questions would qualify for. So I take it that your advice to future question submitters is spell out everything?

@cruel01:

First question:

Maybe if you changed the 'how' to 'what' and indicate which specific spot amongst the river. I'd imagine that the Amazon river runs into quite a few places ( guesstimation here ).

Second question:

I wiki'ed just 'Apurimac' and it spat out a disambiguation that had the following:

Apurímac is the name of:

* Apurímac River - a river in the south-eastern parts of central Perú
* Apurímac Region - a region in the south-eastern parts of central Perú
* Apurimac (album) - an album by the German cross-cultural new age band Cusco.
* Apurimac (band), a Greek band with Latin America influences.

Essentially, you might have needed to be more specific in the question with this one.

Third question:

I tried to wiki it. It came up with that the financial crisis started in 2007 and it was more than just the fall of the lehman brothers falling. This might help a bit.
Dátum: 2010.09.13. 19:10:52
Okay evidently quiz people are weird. If your question is 'already in the database' , it still might be accepted despite being 'told no'. Here was submitted.

uestion Rate of correct answers
At what percentage of health can you no longer duel until you heal enough hitpoints through any means? 100%
At what level can you begin to learn skills? 100%

Also, here apparently either different evaluater or something..

First attempt..

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

Second attempt..

Who is the main male protagonist in the game FFVII of the Playstation 1 system?

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

Third attempt...

Who is the main male protagonist in the game of Final Fantasy 7 of the Playstation 1 system?

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

Got accepted, got the se reward and got the quest for it completed.
Dátum: 2010.09.13. 03:30:00
I don't evaluate questions ( but boy do we wish we could ), but here's a couple of answers.

Zanath. The way the question is worded, it seems like you want them to count all the toes on all 4 feet ( which would be 20 if there is 5 per foot ). Try something like 'How many toes are in each single foot of an Elephant's ? ' Might have a better chance of going through since they want every single last detail spelled out.

@Warkeeper:

It could be the Tzar which its' 'correct' spelling is Tsar. S not a z even though it can be spelled either way. Also, Dusan has one of those symbol thingers above the S that non-american languages use ( to my knowledge).
Dátum: 2010.09.12. 03:16:22
I said main male protagonist for a reason. Granted a second attempt got a spelling error category when spelled out the system. Also, your 'keep it simple' version is too general since Final Fantasy VII spans multiple games ( with the movie and spin-offs/sequels/etc. ) and thus different main characters and also different main characters within same one. Hence, the protagonist add-on.
Dátum: 2010.09.07. 21:06:40
Academy one, don't you find that out when you get learning skill level 30 clanned or not? My learning is only at level 10 right now so I wouldn't know if it is in the tooltips or not.

I pulled it from the group of questions I got today from hunt, but going by your post.. you got my point anyway/ If the FFVII game can be considered 'special group' due to it being a game and not everyone plays it, then harry potter book series might as well be reads it and/or knows of it ( less true than the game, but still true. ) Heck, might as well take out all the quiz questions and never submit any because there will be those that know it and those that don't. Thus, only a 'special group of people' could answer it.
Dátum: 2010.09.07. 20:09:02
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2010.09.07. 16:38:30
I would guess by abbreviating games and films questions are rejected as bad. If it's not important enough to write out the title, why should it be important enough for people to know.

I'm guessing the "special group" evaluation came from asking about a video game for one game system (PS1).

Okay, I'll take a bite into this. Even though, I went to wikipedia and google and typed in exactly "ffvii" and it straight spat out final fantasy 7 the playstation game as first result ( google ) and straight to the article for the game ( wikipedia ). From the look of some of the posts in this thread, it is starting to seem like 'if the moderators/evaluators came up with it, thus it is automatically accepted' while everyone else might as well be attempting to win the lottery.

There is no 'database' of questions already 'put in' the game ( doesn't need the answers just the questions ) to properly go by, let alone look up to see if the question made it in. As an earlier post said in this thread, half the questions could be considered 'special group of people have knowledge of' excused. I'm tempted to copy and paste all the questions I get ( and ask clannies and other members I meet like a database in the duel randomizer thing ) to message me the questions they come across and see just 'how many questions' can easily be interpreted 'special group of people have knowledge of'.

-edit-

Okay forget the temptation, I gonna hafta cause look at this? Keep in mind I attempted a question in asked what the maximum level of the learning skill skill was without use of the academy ( along those lines ) and it got the 'special group' excuse. Yet, this got accepted.

How many questions does the Quiz Olympics of this game consist of?

Also, here is another prime example..

Who is the main villain in Harry Potter book series?
Gellert Grindelwald
Godric Griffindor
Count Dracula
Lord Voldemort

So let me get this straight. Main antagonist of a book series gets an okay, but main protagonist of a specificly identified game ( not series in general, GAME ) gets the 'special group' excuse.
Dátum: 2010.09.07. 15:13:01

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

How is it that only a 'special group of people' know this?
Dátum: 2010.09.07. 15:10:34

Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife
Barrett Wallace

How would only a special group of people know this?
Oldal: 1