Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Viridel

Dátum: 2010.03.15. 22:55:07
Re post the question, i feel if another evaluator gets it will pass, its certainly a very interesting quetion. Especially for a game site. Do not give up But watch the language, no need for that, even at your justified level of frustration

Perhaps people would be more inclined to watch their language if it appeared that the game admins were interested in what people were saying.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 22:43:23
It is a great post, but it fails to address the inherent (lack of) equality in the game. The game itself IS fun - that's why I'm back here for World 2 after quitting World 1. But the quiz functionally makes up, at minimum, 10% of the game (the the "fun factor" of the quiz is FAR higher, of course). So you basically have to participate in it to be competitive in the game.

So when I have to answer crap about literature that I couldn't give two piles of horse manure about - I deal with it, because obviously that topic is important to someone. I don't look up the answer, I just guess, get it wrong, and possibly remember for next time.

But why should I have to answer stuff that is important to someone else that I don't care about at all - when someone else doesn't have to take the time or effort (or do what I do, and just guess) to answer what is important to me?

What makes someone's question about Stephen King more important than my question about the NHL? I'm Canadian - there is nothing more important to us than Hockey. I'm not saying you have to LIKE it - but if I have to answer your "crap", then you should have to answer mine.

As has been said many times, the ONLY questions that should get kicked out are the ones that are nonsensical, get complaints or are flat-out wrong. Everything else is important to someone, and their questions should be honored in that manner.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 19:26:02
Idézet: aneksi - 2010.03.15. 18:12:56
Idézet: Hyannis - 2010.03.15. 08:43:15
Viridel - to some extent, I agree with you. One of my first questions I posted was, In which English County would you find the oldest Officer's Training camp called Sandhurst? I believe this is a legitimate question to ask, but it was rejected on the grounds that 'only a specific group of people would know this'!!! Yet, I am asked to name the first person to sign the US Independence document. Being British and brought up in a British school system, we Brits were not taught about American History. We were taught British History especially WWI and WWII.

My argument to this is that ALL questions should be allowed through UNLESS there are spelling mistakes in the question/answer OR the answer is a bit dubious. WE can ALL learn each other's History and Culture. The internet is a great source for learning so why not use the tools for EVERY question that is asked.

And i agree with you except if people cannot figure the answer to just any question out it will get removed and be deemed as a bad question anyway. Which is garbage.

Well, it gets taken out when it falls below 25%, which with 4 answers to choose from, it's even with "chance". And, for the record, when a couple of these have temporarily snuck thru in the past (then not surprisingly been simply removed from the system), they've had scores of 77% and 83% - which just proves that the Quiz Mods are utterly full of shit in rejecting them.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 19:17:27
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2010.03.14. 04:18:31
That would probably be rejected for the same reason.

It would not confuse things to change it into a question. I have seen several of them myself. The latest one I remember was: Which city has the NFL team "Colts"?

If you don't want the advice on how to get your questions accepted, why bother to post? Many of the players around here want to see you get your SE reward. We want to see the database get better. We are trying to help.

Hey Gemeni, guess what:

Your last question
Scientist - Albert ______?

Glickstein
Rhinestein
Einstein
Jacobstein

1 good and 0 bad answers have arrived for this question.

In other words, I just proved my case. The Quiz Admins are racist ass holes.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 16:27:52
Idézet: Hyannis - 2010.03.15. 08:43:15
Viridel - to some extent, I agree with you. One of my first questions I posted was, In which English County would you find the oldest Officer's Training camp called Sandhurst? I believe this is a legitimate question to ask, but it was rejected on the grounds that 'only a specific group of people would know this'!!! Yet, I am asked to name the first person to sign the US Independence document. Being British and brought up in a British school system, we Brits were not taught about American History. We were taught British History especially WWI and WWII.

My argument to this is that ALL questions should be allowed through UNLESS there are spelling mistakes in the question/answer OR the answer is a bit dubious. WE can ALL learn each other's History and Culture. The internet is a great source for learning so why not use the tools for EVERY question that is asked.

Hyannis, please join us in the Complaints -> Quiz area of the forum - we need more intelligent people like you who understand what we are complaining about.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 06:10:24
Idézet: Thucydides - 2010.03.15. 04:10:57
what game won video game of the year in 2009?

Assassin’s Creed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Left 4 Dead 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators the answer is an uninteresting lexical knowledge.

just what the hell does uninteresting lexical knowledge mean and who the hell are these evaluators to say it's uninteresting?...no where in the quiz rules did I find anything stating that a question has to be "interesting"

It's not interesting to the moderators, therefore you're screwed. The Mods only seem to like Geography, some Sciences and Literature.

THAT SAID - "Game of the Year" is a difficult discussion as there are 35000 different magazines and websites (give or take), any-or-all of whom could select a different title. If you asked "Which was PC Gamer's 2009 Game of the Year", it would still be uninteresting and lexical to the only people who seem to matter (and in case I'm not being clear, it's obviously the players that don't matter), but the question would be a lot more accurate.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 06:03:15
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.03.14. 19:06:27
Idézet: RajPL - 2010.03.13. 14:33:34
I find the Quiz very hard because the answers are mostly always from Europe.

Most of the players started in Europe so its natural these questions are more. But as a lot of players from the US log in game, the questions will start to get more variety.

No. They won't. Amerocenttric questions get booted while Eurocentric (especially Eastern Europe) questions get approved. Until the entire quiz system is moved to International Peer Review, nothing will change.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 05:53:22
Idézet: JKP3nt - 2010.02.19. 22:29:58
In my opinion, the idea of questions which require knowledge of something as specific as a NHL team name, what the score was in the 2002 soccer world cup, or any other thing that you might consider as common knowledge, isn't. I know that I personally would not know either. I think that it would even be a better question to ask how many sons Ra, the Egyptian Sun God, had/has. I am mostly responding to the post by someone earlier saying that questions involving the names of specific NHL (Supposing you know what the NHL is, of course) were good posts.

Are you SERIOUSLY saying that more people would know now many sons Ra had than Los Angeles KINGS? I never said in any way, shape, or form that everyone in the world should know the team names in the NHL. But will it break your internet connection to type in your little search window "NHL Los Angeles"? I guarantee that it is exactly as difficult to type, as it is to type "number sons Ra". So what makes your questions that I have to look up superior to mine that you have to look up?
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 02:16:13
Idézet: Banned - 2010.03.15. 00:49:47
Perhaps....

But.. considering it's the players that put the change into their pocketbooks...

It would be wise for any game developer to be open to suggestions concerning flaws within their product.
Even if it is considered a minigame within the game itself.

Let me know when an Admin or Mod pops into this topic
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 02:14:39
Idézet: Twinky - 2010.03.14. 22:43:15
I really wish that either ONE Evaluator did the evaluating or they all got together and set a solid decisive set of rules on what is and is not an acceptable question, because I just got this

How many movies, worldwide, have been made based on the Holy Bible?

According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

From them, when I just resubmited it, since the first time it was submited it was rejected due to a spelling error, which indicates that it was an acceptable question to the person who looked at it that time.

Expecially when the question "In the Bible, who killed Abel" was considered an acceptable question, one which I have answered several times.

To me it seems like the evaluators are just not all together on what they find acceptable, considering my question has a much broader source (Movies based on the Bible), where as the accepted question has a much more limited source (A single section of the bible).

No, this is just a bad question. If I shoot a movie in my basement, does that count? What if I make a DVD of it and give it to a video store? And how do you define "based on the bible"? Any film where a character goes "God damn it!" or "Jesus Christ!" has a biblical element. Beyond that - worldwide? You know what's going on in some film studio in Nowhereville, North Korea? Lastly, this non-confirmable number is constantly changing, meaning the question is possibly obsolete the day it's approved.

And very lastly - in an international game, let's keep religion out of it completely - things are always more harmonious with less religion involved, not more.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 00:45:32
And I am sure that the evaluation process is being reviewed... especailly when so many wrong answers have been found, and the fact that a few of us actually care enough about it to question the process as a whole.

You, sir, have far more faith than I. The only incentive for change is usually in the pocketbook. So until they are damaged there, I fear little will change.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 23:22:26
I posted this several months ago, and I think it still is the right way to go:

Please create an international team of players to review these questions. 9 people to review every question... 2 North American, 2 European, 2 Asian, 1 each from S. America, Africa and Australia. If 7 to 9 people accept the question, it's added, if 0 thru 4 approve, then gone. If it's 5 or 6, then there can be QUICK discussion from both sides.

Right now, you have absurdly obscure questions that were accepted (and questions with wrong answers), yet you have also rejected questions based on criteria that you accepted for previous questions.

The Quiz portion of the game is one of the best parts of any online game... However the method under which the questions are evaluated and passed/failed is horribly poor and inaccurate. Therefore, I suggest moving to the group-system outlined above... Let an international pool of PLAYERS tell you which are good or bad questions.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 23:15:36
I was borderline to quitting on this game once and for all... But let's see if something good can come out of behaviour I consider no less than borderline racist.

I've agreed with most of what you say, but to draw attention to one:
Yes, I think that the question "What goaltender holds the NHL record for Career Wins?" is a specific question and the answer could also change in a year..making it a poor one.

This is my question, and here's the reasoning why it is a safe question (at least as safe as asking who the career scoring leader in the NBA is, which IS in the quiz) - Martin Brodeur set the record last year... Now this page hasn't been updated really recently, but it makes my point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_NHL_statistical_leaders#Regular_season_wins

Brodeur has a 170 win lead over the second place active player, and 250 wins over the #3 active guy - almost double the 3rd active goaltender. And by the end of this year, it will likely be double the #3, and the #2 guy is now a backup, and won't break 450 wins. Meanwhile Brodeur will likely hit 600 wins this year, putting him 50 (8%) higher than the 2nd guy in NHL history, and 120 (20%) higher than guy #3 in NHL history. We are seeing a shattering of a record to a degree possibly unparalleled in any sport since Wilt Chamberlin.

It's like asking who has the Consecutive Games record in Baseball (Ripken) or Consecutive Games with a Hit (Gherig). These records CAN be broken - but it is phenomenally unlikely that the game will still be alive if/when that were to happen (and quite likely that it won't happen in our lifetimes). If we eliminate any questions that an answer could become obsolete, this turns the game into a history challenge - which would be boring and tedious.

Regarding Wiki - you're right, it's user input, which is inherently fallible. But if the questions are not debatable, and all you need is straight fact (not opinion) then Wiki is fine. Wiki's not going to say that Juventis plays in Argentina or that a Lemur is a reptile.

Just to set the record straight, I'm not pissed because MY questions get booted... I'm pissed because Amerocentric questions get booted while Eurocentric questions get approved - in spite of poor spelling / grammar / obscurity / or even being correct at all.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 22:47:32
I really hope you could get over the angy mood and see reason. First of all, can you name all the team names of NFL, even if you are a US citizen? Even if you do, can you say the same for most of the people you know? How can you expect a specific question about a sport that it is LOCAL to one country, even as big as USA, be considered the same as asking something as general as an author of a book. If the question was about a character in the book then that would fal in the same category as your question. And as for googling, both questions can be found in seconds, but that is not the basis for a good question.

a) I'm not American
b) Most people in N.A. could figure out the team name given multiple choice options
c) The NFL Super Bowl is the most watched single event in the world (so Olympics / World Cup don't qualify)
d) The quiz is littered with questions about characters in books
e) The ability to find an answer "efficiently" is absolutely a foundation point for a good question
f) If I have to look up where Juventis plays because I am not a soccer fan (although I am - Italy, Serie A), why should a non-NFL fan be exempt from having to do any of their own research?
g) If a Japanese baseball fan wants to ask what the team name for Hokkaido is - you know what I'll do? I'll look it up!
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/75/2297/full/gnwt0hed28jk33qkw7mi.gif

What it comes down to - Is this game for a global audience, or for Euros? If it's really only for European players, then just say that, and the problems go away. If it's a global game, then the entire system of question evaluation needs to become a global process - period.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 22:38:36
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.03.14. 10:46:13
Idézet: Pastywhitedemon - 2010.03.14. 10:42:20
Which of the following is not a field position in cricket?

Gully
1st slip
Third man
Off side

According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

I want to know this question is deemed to be any more obscure than questions relating to baseball/basketball and ice hockey? I know not everyone plays cricket but at least more than one country does. The other sport related question that get passed often refer to specific USA competetions so how exactly is anyone else meant to know those answers without Googling them.

My guess would be that asking about a specific position was the reason for rejection..... Cricket is a sport played in many countries and there are quite a few cricket questions in the quiz so i feel they didnt reject this just for the sport.

Isn't it funny that a question about sports not played extensively in Eastern Europe (Cricket, US Football, Hockey) get rejected, but sports that are played there (Soccer/Futball, Basketball, Water Polo) get approved?

Sorry, did I say "funny". Very much not funny actually.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 04:54:42
You guys don't get it. Any type of European questions, regardless of how obscure, tend to get approved. N.American sports questions, regardless of simplicity/complexity, tend to get rejected.

It's not "how the question was phrased". It's prejudice - pure and simple.

Like I said, I was hoping that the Admins of World 2 would have a better understanding of the global nature of its participants - this obviously isn't the case.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 04:02:18
Sorry, but that's horsecrap. Turning it into a question would only confuse the issue. Tell me that this would be rejected:

Scientist - Albert ______?
a) Glickstein
b) Einstein
c) Rhinestein
d) Jacobstein

It's the same structure, but because Einstein is European, this would be approved in seconds.

When I quit World 1 over this, I was pissed - but when World 2c came out, I was hoping the producers of this GAME would realize that they are producing a global game for the English-speaking market.

Dismissing easily discoverable answers, based purely on geography, is racism - pure and simple.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 02:13:23
NFL - The Arizona ______?

Jays
Thrashers
Cardinals
Ravens

Are we really going to have this fight again on this new server? I answer questions that are important to you. Therefore you can answer questions that are important to me. I don't give two shits about Victor Hugo - but I answer them. Don't block my damn questions when they are 100% correct, easily researchable, and common knowledge for THIS area of the world.

If I have to answer Eurocentric questions, then you better allow me to ask Amerocentric questions.

Deal?
Dátum: 2009.09.12. 23:09:25
Idézet: Miklos - 2009.09.12. 21:38:04
Idézet: hrolf - 2009.09.11. 16:55:21
Who was Ringo Starr?

drummer for The Beatles
guitarist for Van Halen
Bass player for The Monkeys
actor in hope floats

Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

I remember this one. It was written all small caps, names, everything...

Idézet: Viridel - 2009.09.10. 20:24:40

National Hockey League (NHL) Team - Atlanta ___?
Hawks
Falcons
Thrashers
Jays

Problem is that this is an international game. This might be not so difficult for an US resident, but quite specific for an European. You are lucky that your first such question was accepted but it doesn't mean that you have to ask the hockey team of every city.

What you didn't see were the condescending and dismissive e-mails sent by the game admins that basically said "If you don't like it, don't play the Quiz". European players get quiz questions that (generally speaking) cater to their geography and history, while North American players are basically told Tough Sh!t. I posted the IDENTICAL Anaheim question three times before it made it thru to the Quiz (proof that there IS no "Automated Filter" - it's ALL human decision).

Every question is "special knowledge" to someone. There probably isn't a single question in the list at 100% - and if there is, that equally defeats the purpose of a QUIZ. In the same way as I have to look up a Nobel Prize winner, and Classical Music questions, I feel no guilt if someone has to go to Wiki and look up "NHL Anaheim".

Can ANYONE legitimately tell be that I should have to answer questions that I don't know the answer to, but should not be allowed to post questions that others may not know the answer to?

PS. That Anaheim question is at 76.92% right now - a higher score than all but one if the instantly-accepted Water Polo questions.
Dátum: 2009.09.12. 07:44:37
Not playing the Quiz puts me at an instant 10% disadvantage to all the other players in the game. Therefore, in order to remain competitive, it's something that must be participated in. So that said, why should I have to answer everyone else's questions that are important to them, yet have no right to post questions that are important to me? Especially when I can point out specific examples of this prejudicial treatment. There is no way to enjoy the game when I know I have to forfeit a significant portion in order to even try to enjoy it.