Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - adonies

Oldal: 123
Dátum: 2010.12.22. 08:12:51
The gold rush in California start in what year?

1849 <--- marked as correct

Actually, all references I found point to January 1848. This question must be corrected.
Dátum: 2010.12.21. 12:06:53
When was Julius Caesar murdered?

44BC <-- marked as correct
45BC
34BC
54BC

I thought that questions about dates were not allowed.
Dátum: 2010.12.20. 07:57:06
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.19. 20:18:24
Maybe because there are probably real Greeks named Zorba? Or there might be fictional novels featuring characters named El Greco or something. Seems clear enough to me, though, so I would have accepted it, personally.

Thank you, I was kinda losing my head over this.
Dátum: 2010.12.19. 19:05:33
Which of the following famous Greeks is a fictional character?

Zorba. <-- correct
El Greco.
Vangelis.
Maria Callas.

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

El Greco is a famous painter of the 16th century, Maria Callas a famous opera singer of the 50s and Vangelis a contemporary music composer. Any googling will bring these items first. Then Zorba is a fictional character depicted in the Kazantakis's novel "Zorba the Greek". Any googling will bring this answer first.

Anyone see any ambiguity?
Dátum: 2010.12.19. 18:55:44
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.12.19. 01:30:54
And I say the Oompa Loompa's are the 3rd most important character(s), behind Charlie and Wonka. Therefore, by your own definition of the rules, as a main character, the question is allowed.
And guess what - it has been allowed

I know it's been allowed. If everything that's been allowed was ok, we wouldn't be having this thread.

And once again, it's not my definition of the rules; it's time you realized that.
Dátum: 2010.12.18. 13:01:16
The inventor of the 'Pap-test' was...
Greek. <---
Serbian.
British.
Swedish.
According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

It is plausible that the question was evaluated correctly, even though the 'Pap-test' is known worldwide (so it's pretty much like asking "what was the nationality of the inventor of penicillin").
Anyway, I was willing to let it go ... but ... as luck would have it, I got this question on my immediate next hunt:

The writer Leslie L. Lawrence is of ... nationality. (fill in the gap).
Bulgarian
American
Hungarian <--
British

Dátum: 2010.12.18. 10:06:24
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.12.18. 06:20:23
You're missing the point. Based on your reasoning, I can't ask about Willy Wonka, since he's not a title character in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", or Wolverine in the "X-Men" franchise... Etc. Oompa Loompa's are fundamental characters in the plot, and their use has been repeated in many other areas. Ultimately, of all the questions to complain about, this was a lousy choice - given that they are NOT obscure by any stretch, and the answer can be easily discovered with even a minor effort.

It's not my reasoning, or my point - I read the guidelines (as you must have as well) and create quiz questions that do not contradict them. And it's by these very guidelines that I complain about quiz questions. You should not stretch them to accommodate favorite subjects.
Dátum: 2010.12.17. 09:20:52
Which professionals is the Hippocratic Oath for?

Doctors. <---
Lawyers.
Congressmen.
Firemen.

Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

Any ideas?
Dátum: 2010.12.17. 09:17:42
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.12.16. 23:04:27
Watched the movie (~1975), watched the movie (~2008), or read the book in school or in leisure time, or seen any of the dozen+ spoofs on tv, and not have access to Google (or any search engine)... Basically not have lived in a cave. for the last 1/2 century.

You have no argument (read below). Insulting is unnecessary.

Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.26. 04:30:30
Here is a first draft of what will be, finally, the guidelines for evaluators when looking at questions. Also these will help anyone starting the game decide what type of questions to post.

2. Literature: Due to many justified complaints about the ""Who wrote that"" type of questions flooding the quiz, they will no longer be accepted. Only books that have been translated and circulate widely in English are accepted for any other kind of questions. Main character questions are ok (names, country the events take place, etc), more detailed questions like how many children they have in the book, what is the name of their pet etc are not accepted

5. Movies/Comics/Video games: Not accepted - Dates of sequels release, specifics about the story or content (much like literature), anything a person HAS to watch/read/play the title to know what you are referring to.
Accepted - Original release date, main characters, famous tag lines, etc.

Dátum: 2010.12.16. 19:19:58
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.12.16. 17:43:25
One light-year is equal to ...(in parsecs)?
~0.333333 parsecs
~2.333333 parsecs
~0.306601 parsecs
~1.306601 parsecs

The answers 1 and 3 are too close
Dátum: 2010.12.16. 19:06:47
The musical Les Misérables is based on the book of the same title, was written by which author?

Jean Valjean
Ayn Rand
Victor Hugo <--- correct
Pierre Boulez

The way the question is written, although grammatically incorrect, strongly implies that it is asking who actually wrote the musical, instead of the book (and the word author sounds funny in that context).
From the available options and the correct answer, it is apparent that it is the author of the book that is queried about.

This question needs to be rewritten simply as "Who was the author of the famous book Les Misérables?"
Dátum: 2010.12.16. 19:03:11
In the movie Charlie & the chocolate factory, what type of creatures are the little factory workers?

dwarves
Leprechauns
oompa-loompas <--- correct
fairies

This question requires the reader to have actually watched the movie.
Dátum: 2010.12.16. 18:59:11
One parsec is approximately 3.262 light-years. Therefore one light-year is approximately 0.306560 parsecs, which is not included in the available options.

Anyway, just my 2c.

EDIT: In the thread "Why did i reject a question (stekkos)" an answer has been provided for the rejection.
Dátum: 2010.12.16. 08:56:12
Idézet: V3nG3nC3X - 2010.12.16. 02:40:55
Can anyone tell me where the ambigous section is in this question. I thought it would be easy with correct spelling, 2 fairy tale characters and a cartoon dog that should narrow the answer down to the anatomical part of the human body. I'm just asking, if I get a stupid answer or one that makes no sense, please stand by for some questions.

From what I found, it's "Mylohyoid", not "Mylo-Hyoid". Also, it's an adjective, not a noun - in complete, grammatically correct, english: "Mylohyoid muscle".

But I'm not an evaluator, so I hope I helped...
Dátum: 2010.12.16. 08:26:49
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.12.16. 03:18:01
Idézet: adonies - 2010.12.15. 19:34:23
Bertrand Russell has two l's at the end. That may or may not have been the cause of rejection.

Thank you, I never noticed. I corrected and re-entered. Should know soon...
Dátum: 2010.12.15. 19:34:23
"Many people would sooner ___ than think; in fact, they do so." (famous quote by Bertrand Russel).

die <--- correct
smoke
eat
shout

Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

Anyone care to point out the problem, please?
Dátum: 2010.12.15. 08:38:23
"Samsung" is an International maker of...

TV and video equipment
all the above <-- correct
computers
mobile phones

Another instance of bad use of "all the above" - should be changed to "all of these".
Dátum: 2010.12.14. 09:09:37
This is the only insect that can turn its head 360 degrees?

the praying mantis <-- marked as correct
the butterfly
the ladybug
the bumble bee

The question needs rewritting, "Which" instead of "This".
Dátum: 2010.12.14. 09:08:52
Eeny, meeny, miny....?

joe
go
oh
moe <--- marked as correct

Now this is beyond nursery rhymes...
Dátum: 2010.12.14. 09:07:48
This room is not on the board of the popular murder mystery game, "Clue"?

Ballroom
Lounge
Chamber room <--- marked as correct
Billiard room

Quiz rules: "Do not ask ones that demand lexical knowledge (like dates) or that is known only by a special group (e.g. Magic the Gathering, comics etc.)."
Please remove the question.
Oldal: 123