Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Viridel

Dátum: 2010.05.27. 04:36:20
Since Mind Boost doesn't work on Trade, is there any way to pass the "Buy a weapon from the soul-huckster which is at least 2 levels higher than your level!" Quest without either Trade L20 or one of those Trader Amulets? With the first level costing me over 2300 SE and the 20th costing about 4500 - not exactly a cost effective solution.
Dátum: 2010.05.26. 20:26:01
What war did Muhammad Ali (aka Cassius Clay) participate in?
World War II
Vietnam War
Korean War
None, he was a Conscientious Objector

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

Ok... Fill me in on what I'm missing here.
Dátum: 2010.05.26. 19:57:16
There is currently one Team Name question for the NFL (Minnesota), and one for the NHL (New Jersey). Since the rules clearly state 3-4 would be acceptable, why have my team name questions been continually rejected?

And the more I look at the rules, the more I hate them. Can't do this, can't do that... Meanwhile I usually get at least 2-3 duplicates out of 50 hunts - so obviously the quiz needs more questions... Sounds like a great time to put restrictions on!

Here's a novel idea - If the answer is correct, and the question is not retarded (or written retardedly), then it gets in
Dátum: 2010.05.26. 19:45:37
Idézet: Thetus - 2010.05.26. 17:18:51
Stekkos, i've just read your new post about evaluating qestions and i must say, that i fully agree with it. The rules you proposed are fine and wise for me.

Meh. I'm not impressed (especially considering that it took 6-8 weeks to come up with that). It still doesn't change the fact that it is up to a single persons interpretation. As long as a question is reviewed by a single Moderator, and not the group as a whole, you will have a flawed system.

Is someone going to be evaluating the evaluators?
Dátum: 2010.05.26. 19:34:56
Idézet: ardent - 2010.05.26. 13:28:46
Looking for some high level NON diamond horde player to trade this quest with:

"Loot at least 1500 SE from an attacked Doomlord or Doomlady!"

Please PM me if you are interested so we can come to an agreement.

Ardent, lev 21, W2 ENG

I'm also L21, and am stuck on the Loot 500 SE (I'm NOT a Dueler) - is yours a typo, or am I really going to have to find a way to pull 1500?
Dátum: 2010.05.25. 18:25:53
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.05.25. 17:23:33
My opinion is that educational specialized knowledge ought to have a lower bar to pass. I think, in practice, this does tend to be the case, which might help explain why it's so hard for Viridel to get any hockey questions in, but there's so many literature questions.

That's a good observation. I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy, but it does explain a lot. If the question is well written and accurate, it should be passed, regardless of topic.

After all, which has a bigger subscription base - Sports Illustrated or World Literature Today
Dátum: 2010.05.25. 18:19:30
Idézet: MartinBV - 2010.05.25. 15:08:38
Which ability score affects the speed of your life point regeneration in Doomlord?
defense
soul-energy
constitution <- marked as correct
strength

This is both right and wrong, your life point regenerate at set fraction of your total each second this fraction is not affected by either of the options. But the number of life points actually regenerated being a fraction of your total is affected by the total and thus by your constitution.

What is the capital of Peru?
Montevideo
Quito
La Paz
Lima

The correct answer to this is "a city" the name of that city is Lima. (there are other similar questions)

Now, I love basking the Quiz as much as anyone... But holy crap is this getting picky over absolutely nothing. You're probably the type of person who pours all the letters out of their alphabet soup and complains to Campbell's because there are 7 E's but only 3 Q's.
Dátum: 2010.05.25. 08:13:29
Literature and Chemistry are all common knowledge - didn't you know that?

Actually, the question isn't that hard if you extrapolate that Technetium is a man-made element (hence, the Tech), therefore isn't found in nature, therefore is an unstable element. Answer 1 is the only one to cause grief, but you have to get into the 100's before densities become unknown (because the half-lives of these elements are in the mili or nano second ranges). It's not an EASY question, and it's not a 1+1=2 answer - you have to use a little circular logic... But ultimately, I think this is a fantastic question. Problem is, how many people will take the time to logic it out...
Dátum: 2010.05.23. 20:33:25
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.23. 13:09:27
Well they are checked for spelling, but due to the number of questions submitted some will slip. Thats why its good for players to report them

And it would probably help if Mods were not English Second Language.
Dátum: 2010.05.23. 20:27:55
*** Practicing restraint ***
Dátum: 2010.05.23. 17:08:21
In what continent Toronto and Buenos Aires are?
Africa
Europe
America
Asia

Why is this still in the quiz?
Dátum: 2010.05.23. 05:24:32
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.23. 04:46:53
Shall i just point out i immediadely said it will not come to that, it was just a thought i had personally due to the sports situation? Or will that cause another complain? You just like to complain Viridel, period. Sports make up the most of the complains around the quiz and ImLittleJon asked specific about them. It was not a general discussion about all of the subjects.

And yes we like to think. We like considering how we can reject less questions. If you feel that is wrong, without even seeing the results (since no actual decision has been posted) its your perogative.

But while you stopped posting questions and fill up the forum with complains, other players, who do point out wrong things also but dont just wait for things to work exactly as they like, have 70, 80 even 100 questions good running in the quiz.

I can make questions that will pass, and have - that's not the point. The point is that the well written and accurate questions that regard topics I care about are unfairly bounced while the quiz is littered with poorly written, FAR more obscure, and flat out wrong questions.

And no, sports do not make up the majority of the complaints. The number 1 complaint - Why was my question rejected? The number two complaint - The answer is wrong

Maybe if the Mods would focus on correcting what people are REALLY complaining about, you wouldn't have time to write the fiction you've spouted so far, like trying to put the blame on me (or like that magical "New evaluation document" you've spent the last few months talking about - seriously, are the Mods chatting by Pony Express?)
Dátum: 2010.05.22. 22:27:18
Idézet: auntiggy - 2010.05.22. 21:50:06
It also states that if a player repeatedly receives a rating of bad question they might or will lose the chance to write more questions. How is this fair when the evaluators are the ones in error?

If you continually write bad questions, not only will you lose your change to write questions, you will be forced to become a Moderator - that's where they find their members
Dátum: 2010.05.22. 21:26:54
Idézet: Pogaxa - 2010.05.22. 17:07:56
you just got spelling errors because i didn't want to throw it back with a more serious evaluation. the only answer that has not 'the' at the beginning is the good answer - should consider it a signed good answer. try something beginning with 'the'

Huh??? This is what I mean about Mods thinking too much. Marking a "spelling error" because an answer doesn't have a "The" in it - which it shouldn't have... How is this anything but stupid?

If you are going to invent reasons to reject a question, then there needs to be a notes field to explain those reasons - or else you are going to create FAR more problems than you solve.
Dátum: 2010.05.22. 21:16:47
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.22. 19:26:46
No matter how we evaluate there will be complains. Personally i even thought of removing sports all together except the olympic games, world cup and the such which are trully global.

If that happens, I'll flip shit. The quiz has a myriad of questions about British-specific geography, Eastern-European everything, American history, region-specific literature and specific-group religion

You can't turn one category of questions into "international only" while completely ignoring the locational specifics of 90% of the rest of the quiz.

I used to have a lot of respect for you Stekkos, but your "holier than thou" responses and obvious anti-sporting agenda really aren't winning any points.

The whole system would work SO much better if Mods would get their collective sticks out of their collective asses and worry more about if a question was bloody RIGHT (wow, there's a new concept) rather than be worried about if a question may not be known the world over. NOBODY is going to know (or care) about everything in the quiz... But nobody should EXPECT to!

There should be 3 parts to a Mod evaluation:
If it's wrong or retardedly obscure (can't find on Google in 1 minute) or actually ambiguous - Kick it
If the grammar / punctuation / spelling is poor - Fix it
If the question is properly phrased, with an answer that is well-known or east to find (less than a minute on Google) - Pass it

The more Mods try to think, the more problems there will be. Making some document that contains any more than the 3 points above will do nothing to solve the problems.
Dátum: 2010.05.22. 21:15:15
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.22. 19:26:46
No matter how we evaluate there will be complains. Personally i even thought of removing sports all together except the olympic games, world cup and the such which are trully global.

If that happens, I'll flip shit. The quiz has a myriad of questions about British-specific geography, Eastern-European everything, American history, region-specific literature and specific-group religion

You can't turn one category of questions into "international only" while completely ignoring the locational specifics of 90% of the rest of the quiz.

I used to have a lot of respect for you Stekkos, but your "holier than thou" responses and obvious anti-sporting agenda really aren't winning any points.

The whole system would work SO much better if Mods would get their collective sticks out of their collective asses and worry more about if a question was bloody RIGHT (wow, there's a new concept) rather than be worried about if a question may not be known the world over. NOBODY is going to know (or care) about everything in the quiz... But nobody should EXPECT to!

There should be 3 parts to a Mod evaluation:
If it's wrong or retardedly obscure (can't find on Google in 1 minute) or actually ambiguous - Kick it
If the grammar / punctuation / spelling is poor - Fix it
If the question is properly phrased, with an answer that is well-known or east to find (less than a minute on Google) - Pass it

The more Mods try to think, the more problems there will be. Making some document that contains any more than the 3 points above will do nothing to solve the problems.
Dátum: 2010.05.22. 08:08:44
Idézet: vajenka - 2010.05.22. 06:36:16
Who is the only Major League Baseball player to have his number retired by all teams?
Look what I found:
To date, only eight players have had their uniform number retired by more than one Major League Baseball team. In addition, Casey Stengel is the only manager to have had his number retired by more than one team. Stengel played for five teams, two of which he also managed, but he served solely as a manager for the two teams that retired his number.

Nolan Ryan is the only person to have a number retired by three different teams. Ryan, Carlton Fisk, and Reggie Jackson are the only people to have had two different numbers retired.

Hank Aaron Atlanta Braves 44
Milwaukee Brewers 44
Rod Carew Minnesota Twins 29
California Angels 29
Rollie Fingers Oakland Athletics 34
Milwaukee Brewers 34
Greg Maddux Chicago Cubs 31
Atlanta Braves 31
Frank Robinson Cincinnati Reds 20
Baltimore Orioles 20
Nolan Ryan Texas Rangers 34
Houston Astros 34
California Angels 30

Manager Teams Number(s)
Casey Stengel New York Yankees 37
New York Mets 37

This is what happens when you use Bing (Microsoft) instead of a good search engine (Google)

[baseball number retired all teams]
WikiAnswers - What baseball great had his uniform number retired ...
What baseball number has been retired on every team? The number 42 was retired on all teams for Jackie Robinson on April 15th, 1997. ...

And somehow J-Robinson didn't even make your list above.
Dátum: 2010.05.21. 22:10:27
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.05.21. 21:23:40
Cellular reproduction occurs in four-stages and is called what?

Thrombosis
Halitosis
Yutosis
Mitosis <-----------

when the question is typed into google the answer comes up as Meiosis, science wasnt my strong point so i still dont know if this question is right or wrong lol

I learned Mitosis in Bio, so maybe the phrase has "evolved" over the years
Dátum: 2010.05.21. 21:19:17
Which one isn't a Mervyn Peake's novel?
Letters from a Lost Uncle
Mr Pye
Polar City Nightmare
Titus Groan

a) Weren't "NOT" questions being usually rejected unless the answer was evident?
b) Who the hell is Mervyn Peake?

Why are Sporting questions "Special Group", but these obscure writers keep getting approved?
Dátum: 2010.05.21. 21:17:33
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.21. 19:53:55
I dont know who let it in, but is not ambiguous. Good Book is the only answer. The rest do not refer to the bible, only parts of it

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Bible the New Testament - the Old Testament is the Torah?

Therefore, another name for the BIBLE is New Testament.

It's just not a good question.