Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - ChaoticGemini

Dátum: 2010.03.17. 07:51:06
Idézet: Banned - 2010.03.17. 06:49:38

So, if I may ask... do you, ChaoticGemini; know what happens if and when an evaluator does his or her job poorly?

As in, allowing obviously bad questions that are wrong or constantly does not do the simple research needed to ensure that the answer is valid with a correct answer that was given...

Do they just get a slap on the hand.... or are they no longer allowed to be an evaluator?

Those are good questions. I do not know. That would be something an admin would have to answer.
Dátum: 2010.03.17. 04:58:13
Since no one else is speaking up, I will. I am only one of several evaluators, but here are my opinions. . .

I get just as frustrated at see how terrible some of the questions are that people try to submit. They affect our game too. There are some categories I am just as tired of answering as you all are, but those are the questions submitted. We have all noticed plenty of bad questions in the database. That does not mean we need more and I am sure the other evaluators are working just as hard to see that we have a better database of questions.

Personally, I try to avoid the 'special knowledge' evaluation unless it is something ridiculous or impossible to find an answer to. I feel the 25% rule will filter out the "special knowledge" the same way it filters bad questions.

Spelling and grammar are the biggest issues I see in submitted questions. There are many that cannot write a basic sentence. To address a spelling complaint I have seen: I know many of the differences between english spellings and when in doubt, I look them up to see if that is correct by Brit standards.

I see far more European-based questions than American questions submitted by players. It has nothing to do with bias. Also, remember when writing american questions that not everyone will be from America. I recently rejected a question that asked how many states touch the Gulf of Mexico. It didn't say US states, so the answers were incorrect because Mexican states also touch the Gulf.

I happened to be on the phone with a friend while he was answering a couple hunt questions and when he finished, he started to complain about a cricket record question. He was tired of all the sports that are not popular in the US. I told him I actually let it in the system. I don't know the first thing about cricket, but when I researched the question, the answer was easy to find. The record seemed like something impressive that would not easily be broken. (It was a record that appeared as important as the NFL player with the most touchdowns in a season.) It was spelled correct and written well. No one can be an expert in everything or know what other players will find easy or interesting.

As I said at the beginning, I am only one evaluator and I am fairly new to the process. I see some of the "my question was rejected" posts and wonder myself what in the world the evaluator was thinking. Evaluators are not perfect. I have had to message an administrator to correct a couple of questions that I let in the system. Since you all care enough to complain, you can help the game by posting the errors that slip by. They do get corrected by an administrator.

Just to address a few other complaints. . . We do not evaluate our own questions. The database is the same for both worlds. Since you don't know what is in the database, when you get that evaluation you do not loose the right to ask another question.

If I missed any of your thoughts or comments, let me know. Just keep in mind, I can only speak for my personal opinion, not the thoughts of the other evaluators, admins or developers.
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 20:32:40
Denim jeans have been used as pants since around since the 16th century and in America since the end of the 18th century. What made the 2 guys famous and brought you the jeans you now know is the addition of rivets to the pants and good marketing. So, the answer of who "invented" denim blue jeans is a bit vague.
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 17:38:51
Ahhhhhh. I see it now. *slaps head at my own stupidity*

Thanks Mivan.
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 07:03:51
Then I would guess you had a different evaluator on the scientist question. I would not imply any bias from it.
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 01:48:45
You will find the option to switch hordes under the Misc button at level 15. It costs 50 ancient stones.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 22:26:42
Idézet: Miklos - 2010.03.13. 09:40:21
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2010.03.10. 22:54:26
My level = 21. So, 121 x 2 = 242. My skill is at 20. So, 242 X 20 = 4840. I had around 4650 and still lost SE when I was attacked.

One possibility are that you are at war (trans.pr. doesn't work then)

I wish that was the case. I am at war, but not with the player that attacked.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 22:00:52
Polar bears will also wait by holes in the ice and attack every time the whale has to pop up for air. Enough hits in the right spot and they have a tasty meal in the worst part of winter.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 21:54:23
If it was the same list of questions, what would stop players working together to compile a list of every question on the quiz so a friend can get them all correct quickly?
As it is now, everyone has an equal chance to get good or bad questions from the entire database. Sometimes you will get lucky with questions you know; sometimes you will get unlucky with multiple questions you find difficult. How does that give soe people the upper hand?
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 12:21:54
okay, the original question was corrected to:
When was the first printed newspaper in the world published?

A brief rundown of what I remember from college:
59 B.C. Romans produce handwritten news-sheets (done in china much earlier)
8th century: first newspaper published in China (handwritten), but started wood block printing shortly thereafter
1392: Movable copper type is invented in Korea
1447: Gutenberg - letterpress printing
1556: Venetian monthly newspaper within 10 years they were published weekly and distributed throughout Europe.
1605: "Relation" newspaper in Strasbourg
1621: London "Corante"
1631: 1st french paper - "The Gazette"
1639: 1st american colonies printing press (earlier news reports printed elsewhere)
1645: Sweden starts oldest paper still in circulation

My dates could be slightly off, but perhaps the question should be removed unless the original writer has a less ambiguous way to word the question
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 09:29:48
There is no argument to be had. The rejection is automatic when 75% of the people don't know or are too lazy to look for the answer. All you can really do is post it here as a way to vent and share an interesting piece of trivia with the rest of us. It is automatic to filter out the bad questions, but several active hunters have had good questions that end up in the rejected bin.

Edit:
I would rather see what I think are good questions rejected with 75% wrong than to see the "special group" evaluation.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 04:18:31
That would probably be rejected for the same reason.

It would not confuse things to change it into a question. I have seen several of them myself. The latest one I remember was: Which city has the NFL team "Colts"?

If you don't want the advice on how to get your questions accepted, why bother to post? Many of the players around here want to see you get your SE reward. We want to see the database get better. We are trying to help.
Dátum: 2010.03.14. 03:51:08
Your "question" is hardly a question. It's 2 nouns, one abbreviated, and a conjunction.
Try it as an actual question. That would be a sentence of inquiry that asks for a reply.

Also, as was previously stated in one of the threads, the database is the same for both worlds.
Dátum: 2010.03.13. 02:49:01
I believe Qumram is spelled wrong. It should be Qumran.
Minor spelling, but you don't loose the question. You can resubmit.
Dátum: 2010.03.12. 12:47:47
I thought all questions were given a fair chance for people to answer it, not rejected as soon as it hits 25%. My last question:

Serving as a lighthouse and landmark since the late 1st century, the Tower of Hercules is located in the north-west region of what country?
Spain
Italy
Greece
Turkey

This question is withdrawn from the database, because 75% of the respondents did not know the answer.

Last time I looked, 3 had it correct and 9 had it wrong. So, by just a few dumb people my question is marked "bad" after only 2 days. This is actually an UNESCO World Heritage Site. I can't believe that, if given a chance, less than 25% would know the answer.
Dátum: 2010.03.12. 06:28:58
According to the original poster, the question does ask how many major greek gods, not how many original olympian gods. So, at minimum it sounds like the question should be reworded.
Dátum: 2010.03.11. 20:06:49
Idézet: aneksi - 2010.03.11. 16:26:17
Plus there are no commas in the dates.

Dates written in that format do not need commas.
Dátum: 2010.03.11. 07:07:40
The first question is a classic riddle. There is only one type of bear in a location you could look south in every direction. There are a few riddles in the database. They can throw you for a loop when you are in the zone of answering trivia questions.

I agree with stekkos that the TV series has played in several countries. I have personally seen it while flipping through channels in 4 countries (not all english-speaking either).

The last question is bad.
Dátum: 2010.03.11. 05:15:14
hmm, not sure on that one. I think from the choices listed, it can be figured out and should have gone through, but it could be that only certain countries have Neapolitan ice cream.
Dátum: 2010.03.11. 01:13:24
Sorry, I can't help. I do not see any errors.