Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - ImLittleJon

Dátum: 2010.10.06. 18:05:36
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.10.06. 17:40:16
Dude - You can't have it both ways. Either "fake" characters are invented to have a championship that you might win, or your group gets canceled. When there are two viable options, you can't complain about both of them. The horse is dead - quit beating it.

There's two different users complaining here. Cruel is complaining that a fake character was invented, and quint is complaining that a fake character wasn't invented.
Dátum: 2010.10.05. 00:36:24
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.10.05. 00:28:36
Sounds like we should all learn hungarian and join that server for better customer support.

One of my Hungarian clanmates says the support isn't any better there.
Dátum: 2010.10.04. 15:28:43
Idézet: dark22 - 2010.10.04. 00:16:17
I understand but if average is taken, than it sucks. I for example don't need the pets damage, which is really low (in fact I m having trouble completing "let your pet do more damage than..." quest now cause even with mace and blinding light on -50 to-70 and lvl 30 pets I make more damage then them).

Remember that pet damage is a function of player potential damage. So when you equip your mace, the damage your pet does is also reduced.

Idézet: dark22 - 2010.10.04. 00:16:17
And if absortion average is taken by making lets say lvl 10 base lvl 30 pet will actually downgrade my asorption when in combo with 2 lvl 30 base lvl 20 pets. Why then did I spent all those SE to get horde making to 30 or 60?

To me, it seems that the greater damage caused more than balances out the reduction in absorption. But I will point out that in the discussion so far, only two possibilities have been brought up: status quo (averaging) or stacking (adding up). There is a third possibility, where you just use the max absorption among the fighting pets. That would make it obvious that an additional pet is a benefit, without breaking the game. If the powers that be were convinced that a) the status quo was not ideal, and b) it was worth actually changing code, this would take their programmers 5 minutes to change. Of course, that would involve the existence of some route of communication from the users to the powers that be...
Dátum: 2010.09.29. 17:47:41
Idézet: Skapunkno1 - 2010.09.29. 17:41:05
Sorry to complain but when stage 1 of zarknods awakening finished I didnt get anything at all and I was on the leader board, SPG. world 3

Some people on W1 got a reward at the end of stage 1, but that was a bug. You're not supposed to get anything until stage 3 is over.
Dátum: 2010.09.29. 14:08:19
Idézet: Kethios - 2010.09.29. 04:57:05
I'm not a forum admin as I stated before. I'm a forum moderator. I will contact Miklós today and tell him that the players of doomlord want feedback about their suggestions, answers to their questions. This is all I can do with the content questions I cannot answer.

My company runs forums like this, but for big companies. Typically, the way this works is there are people like you who interact on the forums. Those people have a weekly meeting with people like Miklós, who can answer questions and make decisions, but don't have time to read through all the forum posts. So when someone has a complaint or suggestion, the moderator would reply to let the user know that their issue was noted and would be raised, and then after the meeting, the moderator would post again with a response.
Dátum: 2010.09.29. 01:36:37
Idézet: Donimo - 2010.09.28. 23:56:55
Massachusetts is the answer because it's the state. It's a trick question (if you don't think it through, and you know, you'll pick Boston). Are we not allowed questions that are tricky?

I'm not an evaluator, but it seems that questions that try to be tricky get rejected more often.
Dátum: 2010.09.29. 01:35:34
Idézet: etinixa - 2010.09.28. 18:29:24
You're saying what the general public believes to be true superceeds the fact? That's what kept Europe in the dark ages.

I'm saying that language is a collection of conventions. The question wording was "What is a Tomato?", not "What is a tomato scientifically classified as?". As such, the question can be legitimately interpreted as a linguistic question. In which case, common usage is enough to make "vegetable" correct.

All fruits are vegetables, but since they are a sub-classification they are separate from vegetables.

If a subclass were separate from its superclass, it wouldn't be a subclass. Duh!

A pitbull is a breed of dog and that makes it a dog, but if you ask me whether its a pitbull or a great dane, the answer is unassailable and the same applies.

That's a totally bogus analogy. Pit bulls are not a subclass of great danes. The correct analogy would be asking you whether a pit bull (tomato) is a dog (fruit) or a mammal (vegetable). And obviously, it is both.
Dátum: 2010.09.28. 15:33:03
Idézet: etinixa - 2010.09.28. 06:30:29
The answer is fruit...and I was replying to the request by someone else that it be changed to vegetable because "I use it like a vegetable".

The issue is in the realm of science, if my country decided all bears were marsupials, that wouldn't change the fact that science has a very detailed classification system which puts them elsewhere, and that is what should be used here, as the universal answer.

The issue is not just in the realm of science. It's in the realm of linguistics. If some committee in your country decided that all bears were marsupials, you'd be right. But if the general public in your country used the word "marsupial" to refer to a group of animals that included bears, you'd be wrong.

Besides, if you want to get technical, all fruits are also vegetables. So no matter how you approach it, the question is at least ambiguous and should be removed.
Dátum: 2010.09.28. 15:25:52
Idézet: Donimo - 2010.09.27. 22:50:13
Okay, I'm reposting this question now. Unless you can provide some clarity on the spelling mistake?

What state do the NBA team Celtics play for?

Boston
Los Angeles
Detroit
Massachusetts

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

A) Sometimes the spelling status is chosen to avoid penalizing you one quiz question.
B) Those are cities, not states.
Dátum: 2010.09.28. 15:24:32
Idézet: DoomDudeRuby1 - 2010.09.27. 21:37:39
Who was the first president of the United States of America?
George Washington<-- right
John Hanson

Ambiguous, John Hanson is the first president to spend a year in office so is sometimes referred to as the first president. I did get the question right, but I do think it's a little misleading.

This has been covered. Hanson's title was President of Congress, not President of the USA.
Dátum: 2010.09.24. 03:22:39
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2010.09.24. 02:03:44
What happens if I drop the quest?

You'll just lose any progress you might have made towards completing that quest. So if you hadn't made any progress, there's no cost to dropping it.
Dátum: 2010.09.22. 16:45:28
Idézet: Kethios - 2010.09.21. 08:45:06
I talked to one of the admins and requested that they should display the effective charge below the used SE in order to be able to keep track of where we are on the list of EC.

Holy cats! Look at that, a code change got pushed!
Dátum: 2010.09.21. 19:16:25
Idézet: Sacrosanct - 2010.09.21. 16:46:25
Which of the following actors/actresses does NOT play in The Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Looks good to me. Should have been passed.
Dátum: 2010.09.20. 19:27:45
Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.20. 18:16:35
People can find stuff hard to understand when they are shown to be wrong.

The Trumpage I was talking about is your concept of 'general knowledge' in reference to the question.

Where CG's grandma's agreed with me, not you.

Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.20. 18:16:35
Just assuming that something is 'general knowledge' period is not good as has been shown by multiple people ( not including me ) versus just you. 'General knowledge amongst gardeners' may be more accurate versus just 'general knowledge'.

I never assumed that anything was just general knowledge. My assertions were and are:
- if you are lacking knowledge on a topic, you are not qualified to judge how general a bit of knowledge is.
- specifically having to do with my question, if you ignore the poor wording, millions of people know the fact in question, or at least could pick out the correct answer from the choices listed. Including, but not limited to, vegetable gardeners. CG's grandma provided anecdotal evidence in support of this.
- millions of people ought to qualify as general enough to be accepted, given established guidelines and precedent.

From what I can tell, that last one is the one you really disagree with. You seem to be claiming that "general knowledge" means every person on the planet knows it. I would argue that the quiz would be better if the specific knowledge rejection were used less than it is today.
Dátum: 2010.09.20. 16:16:19
Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.18. 23:27:30
Thank you ChaoticGemini's grandma for trumping majority of his points.

A) CG's grandma is still just one person. As a neutral observer with expertise in the subject, her opinion carries a lot more weight than some, but it's still just one opinion.

B) CG's grandma agreed with me on one point, disagreed with me on one point, and didn't get involved with the majority of my points.

C) On the point on which CG's grandma disagreed with me, there does seem to be a consensus - that the wording of my question was confusing to the point where even people with expertise didn't get it. I find that hard to understand, but I'm willing to stop beating this dead horse, accept that it's true, and attempt to keep my future questions simple and clear.

Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.18. 23:27:30
Point of quiz being screwy, I agree with. This could be all be solved by...what now?

That's what the majority of my points were aimed at. The first step is to admit the fact that an evaluator's ability to judge general/specific knowledge is, in fact, affected by their personal experience. Factoring in googlability is one way to get around that issue. Many others have been proposed, but mostly they involve some amount of code changes. Within the limitation of no code changes, it may be possible to come up with other ways to improve the problem, but only if we all admit that the problem exists.
Dátum: 2010.09.18. 17:14:03
Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.17. 22:34:12
First off, as you can see throughout the thread, plenty of questions that 'were accepted' could easily fall under the special group excuse.

I would actually say that every single question could fall under the special group excuse. It's a question of where do you draw the line?

General knowledge. It can be generally that broccolli and cabbage fall under being a plant. Kale possibly falls under 'see it, but not know the name of it' type thing. My experience with kale is the type of kale that is put in the salad bar of restaurants along with fake fruit and such to decorate ( but not be consumed ) the salad bar.

Precisely. That's your experience. That's the place that you are coming from. A lot of other people have significantly more experience with kale than that (notably Obama, for one, to tie in to other parts of your point ). But the fact that you have only passing familiarity with it inherently colors your opinion on how general this knowledge is.

Lots of people know that Obama passed health care reform, right? Now do they know the exact legal of the healthcare reform? Exact last fine print detail? Anything that might have been 'packaged' / removed from original submittion with the healthcare reform so that that particular party member(s) would vote for it? Not as many. In english, it might be considered 'general knowledge' that Obama passed health care reform. It is not 'general knowledge' as to what was exactly in it.

Sure, there are some questions relating to that example that I would call too specific. But I'm guessing that there are some that I would call general enough (lack of public option, the whole Ben Nelson Nebraska thing) that you might call too specific. So a) the general/specific issue is just too fuzzy. And b) if someone submitted a question about the public option or the Ben Nelson thing, what would you do as an evaluator if you were from Hungary and didn't have any exposure to American news? How could you evaluate which side of the line those questions should fall on? You would have no basis for judgment other than what you could google within the 5 minute time limit.

However, if you have to google it, wiki it, 'whatever search you do to search for it', then it is leaving the realm of general knowledge.

This statement, I could not possibly disagree with more. Nobody knows everything about all topics. You get a question on a topic you happen not to know, you have to google it. That doesn't say anything about how general the knowledge is. What matters is how many people would know anything about the topic. As stekkos puts it, if you walk down the street, how many would be able to answer it? But the problem is, it depends on what street you're walking down. Obviously, a lot more people on my street could answer it than on stekkos's street. But all stekkos has to judge by is his street. He's never been to my street.

'Which of these is not of the same plant species ( Brassica oleracea ) ' ?

That's definitely clearer. But do you really think clarity plays into the general/special issue? I think the same people would know the answer with either wording.
Dátum: 2010.09.18. 15:00:43
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.09.18. 05:24:23
I never say that something is not general knowleadge because i do not know it. I said that because it is not something people know about, unless they deal with the subject.

This is exactly my point. You do say something is not general knowledge because you don't know it, but you won't admit it. Unless it's a subject that you do know something about, you are unqualified to judge how general the knowledge is. I'm not saying you could do any better than you are; I'm saying it's literally an impossible task. Nobody can do it, by definition.

Any gardening book mentions it, but why do you take for granded people IN GENERAL read gardening books?

I never claimed that people in general read gardening books. There are billions of people who don't. But there are also millions of people who do. The same logic could be applied to any subject that's in the quiz. There are billions of people who haven't seen Harry Potter, or read the Bible, etc., etc. Where do you draw the line for how many people are familiar with the subject before it qualifies as "general knowledge"?

Also the wording of the question does make the question harder to understand, and i do not mean by me.

I see what you are saying. What I was trying to do was consider 2 groups of people: gardeners and non-gardeners. Gardeners would know the answer just by looking at the choices. Non-gardeners would have to google it, regardless of the wording. So my goal with the wording was to make the answer as easy to find through google as possible, so I cut/pasted the terminology from a page with the answer on it. To me, as a user, I'd rather see a question that I can't understand but can google quickly than a clear question that isn't as easily googled.
Dátum: 2010.09.17. 19:20:23
Idézet: comingfromothergamess - 2010.09.17. 03:23:55
if we wind up going into argument/debate about it, then all the more shows it isn't general knowledge / question for the game.

That's just a ridiculous statement on the face of it. Just because some people are ignorant in a particular area, and they believe their ignorance to be universal, the fact that they present that viewpoint doesn't prove anything. You can find a lot of people who believe that the Moon landings were all faked and would happily debate that point. Does that mean that a question about the Moon landing should be rejected?
Dátum: 2010.09.17. 16:34:28
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.09.17. 10:06:13
Jon, you really feel that tis question can be accepted as general knowleadge? Even the word cultivar can become a question all on its own

Seriously now, it is a nice question but since googlability has not become a factor, it is a question only people dealing with the subject will know. And kale, broccoli, and cabbage might be in the same plant group, but is not a general known fact.

Yes, it really is. There are millions of people out there who know that fact. Any gardening book with a section on companion planting mentions the fact that kale, broccoli, and cabbage (along with kohlrabi, cauliflower, and one or two others) are all the same plant. I've seen it mentioned in several cookbooks, too. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's a subject that you personally don't know about, so you just assume that it's not general knowledge. That's just human nature, and we need to stop pretending that that's not what happens. Perhaps there's not a very big overlap between players of DL and vegetable gardeners, but I doubt there's many native Burundians playing DL, and I just got a question on the currency of Burundi. I admit I put in some technical jargon in the question, but a) I did that to make it easier to answer via Google, and b) the intent of the question was perfectly clear by looking at the answers, even if you didn't know the word "cultivar" or the species name.
Dátum: 2010.09.17. 16:13:19
Idézet: Bonsai Cactus - 2010.09.17. 09:36:49
How many litters in one galon?

need i say more?

Empirically, yes, you do. People have complained about that question several times, but it's still here.