Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - ImLittleJon

Dátum: 2010.05.25. 17:23:33
Idézet: Valkyrie - 2010.05.25. 06:53:14
What do the Elements: Technetium (Tc), atomic # 43 and Promethium (Pm); atomic # 61 have in common?
They are hard to find and do not have any known density.
They are elements lighter than Uranium (92), but do not have stable isotopes.
They are useful in making strong steel alloys.
They are members of the Rare Earth Group

How is this not specialized knowledge?

My opinion is that educational specialized knowledge ought to have a lower bar to pass. I think, in practice, this does tend to be the case, which might help explain why it's so hard for Viridel to get any hockey questions in, but there's so many literature questions.

Stekkos, I would like to suggest that this educational effect be included in your guidelines document. It should be stated explicitly one way or the other, and if being educational does help, "educational" should be defined. Maybe something like "taught in high school or earlier". But then, high school cirricula will vary from area to area, not to mention from student to student. I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks.
Dátum: 2010.05.24. 18:58:04
Here's another thought. What gets people the most upset is when they pose a question that gets rejected, and they can't understand why. Sometimes it's rejected for a good reason, and if they get upset, oh well. But sometimes the question really should have been accepted. Right now, they can post to the my quiz question was rejected thread, but the best case scenario is an evaluator says it looks good to them, which isn't very satisfying. What if there were some kind of official appeals process that could result in a quiz question being retroactively approved, or at least pre-approved for re-submission? I think that could generate a lot of goodwill (or at least prevent a lot of ill will).
Dátum: 2010.05.24. 16:17:21
As a programmer, I'd have to say that I am extremely skeptical that you've uncovered an actual bug, especially since it doesn't seem to happen for anyone else. Whoever wrote the code would have had to go to a lot of trouble to make it so there was any connection between resting and spell damage. It's much more likely that it's simply the random factor at work, and you just hit an extraordinary run of strange luck. If you flip a coin 10 times, it's extremely unlikely for you to get all heads or all tails. But if 1000 people each flip a coin 10 times, you are almost guaranteed that at least one of them will do exactly that.
Dátum: 2010.05.20. 19:46:43
Let's give stekkos some credit for standing up and voicing his views. Even when we disagree vehemently, we should try to remember that we'd like a real dialogue here. If we are abrasive in our approach, it doesn't provide much incentive for any other evaluators to engage. If the frustration level gets too high, just post a bunch of or something.

As to the current debate, I think some of it is due to confusion about the phrase "the same or easier". To me, that implies "the same level of difficulty or easier" rather than "the same question or an easier version".
Dátum: 2010.05.19. 16:03:08
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.19. 12:00:10
4. Irrelevant lexical: If you ask about events, information or facts that are true, but no real value comes out of knowing them (eg. How much money you get for selling a gold armor in X rpg game or how many fingers does 10 hands have)

Another thing that bugs me is all the questions like "What year did X happen?" where the answers are like 1801, 1803, 1806, 1810. If it's something that happened within the last 10 years, then it's fine to have to know the right year. If it's something that happened since 1900, the answers should be decades. Before that, they should be centuries. And if it's about dinosaurs or plate techtonics or astrophysics, you shouldn't need to know anything more specific than whether the answer is in millions or billions or trillions.

Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.19. 12:00:10
5. Too easy or mathematical: That can also mean you posted a question of the type: ""What comes next in sequence...."" as well as 1+1=?.

I recently got a question "What comes next in the Fibonacci sequence..." That seems like a legitimate question to me. I think you should be clear that questions about mathematical concepts are fine. It's just mathematical computation that should be rejected.

I would also like to suggest that the document you guys are coming up with should be a living, evolving thing. As questions come up in either the Quiz errors topic or the My quiz question was rejected topic which are in a gray area, I would like to see an official ruling come down from some body of evaluators and have it placed in your new rules and updates topic as an example to clarify all future evaluations. For example, you and I had a long discussion about whether questions regarding the rules of sports games are legitimate. I thought my argument in favor was quite convincing, but evidently not enough to convince you. Anyway, if the evaluation rules committee got together and decided either way, I think it would be great to post the example that raised the issue along with the final ruling, so everyone would know whether questions like that should be rejected or not.
Dátum: 2010.05.17. 23:43:36
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.05.17. 17:43:52
John, I like you, so I'm only giving you a lower-case - fail!

LOL. Guilty. I didn't read the google results closely enough to distinguish Jude from Judas. I think what we've proven here is they needed more variety in their names back then.

P.S. Go Blackhawks!
Dátum: 2010.05.17. 16:54:30
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.05.16. 03:15:35
who is the patron saint of hopeless cases?
St Judas
St Mary
St Stephens
St Jerome

Now, as an Aethiest, I may not be up on my religion... But even I know enough to highly doubt Judas would ever be considered a Saint - let alone the right answer to this question.

Way to go Mods!!!

A quick google search indicates that Judas is not only a saint, but also the correct answer to the question. Perhaps if you pray to him, you might get some action on the whole quiz evaluation process.
Dátum: 2010.05.17. 16:52:37
Idézet: Tonto - 2010.05.15. 18:17:59
why I didn't get reward if the people set the answer wrong? they are 5 oceans NOT 4 on earth!!! The person send the quiz should get deducted, I should credit for the correct answer instead

five oceans are the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic and Antarctic Oceans

Technically, it's the Southern Ocean, and it was not recognized as a separate ocean until recently. It seems like rather a lot to expect the evaluators to keep up with the latest revisions of such things.
Dátum: 2010.05.14. 23:28:07
That's a very old, traditional riddle. The idea is when a human is a baby - the morning of their lifespan - they crawl - 4 legs. As an adult - afternoon - they walk on 2 legs. When they get older - the evening - they need a cane - 3 legs. A quick google search turns up the correct answer on the first result, too.
Dátum: 2010.05.14. 19:56:40
Idézet: borecdan - 2010.05.14. 06:34:28
Idézet: LydonB - 2010.05.13. 09:15:19
Idézet: shadowpreyer - 2010.05.13. 06:58:57
please tell me which of these words is mispelled

According to scholars, why did man domesticate grain?
stable food source
beer
they were bored
didn't want to chase down fast animals

None.

Domesticate and grain don't go very well with each other. But still, it is a valid synonym.

Well firstly there should be men not man :-) at least I suppose so...its odd to invalidate question because of this but maybe its the problem. anyway Im starting to be really sick of these Quiz questions...

The OP was using man in the sense of mankind. Both "men" and "man" makes sense there.

My guess is actually that the evaluator couldn't confirm the correctness of the answer but denied the question on the basis of spelling so as not to penalize the asker. In my short google search (remember, the evaluators only get 5 minutes to do their evaluation), it appears as though the matter is not actually settled. Some researchers think beer, some think bread.
Dátum: 2010.05.14. 19:40:10
Idézet: Pogaxa - 2010.05.14. 17:14:52
honestly don't know why you got this evaluation, i just wish all the questions were of high standard like this one

Thanks, I try.
Dátum: 2010.05.14. 16:17:29
The name Hiawatha is famous from Longfellow's poem. What was the historical Hiawatha known for?

Founding the Iroquois confederacy
Helping the Pilgrims survive
Helping Lewis and Clark explore
Inventing the Cherokee syllabry

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

I figured there was at least a 50/50 chance this would get marked as too special, but ambiguous? Anyone see anything ambiguous at all?
Dátum: 2010.05.14. 02:01:56
Idézet: NightWind - 2010.05.14. 00:05:36
Question: What do all of the stats do? I'm not sure whether attack makes me better in attacking people in duels, and defence is when people attack me....I just can't find the answers anywhere

From http://world2.doomlord.net/index.php?m=jatekleiras:

Strength: The greater stregth you have, the more damage you deal to your opponents in physical fight.
Attack: This ability defines how good a fighter you are and how much chance you have to hit your opponent.
Defense: As the attack increases your chance to hit, the defense decreases the opponents' chance to hit.
Constitution: Your constitution and level will define how much damage you can endure.
IQ: In a magic combat your minds lean against each other. The higher the difference (to your favour), the bigger the chance that your spell makes full damage and does not miss your opponent.
Thaumaturgy: Higher taumaturgy means greater spell damage, and it increases other effects of the spell as well.
Magic: Your magic and level will define the total sum of your spell points.

My take:
All effects are the same, regardless of whether you initiated the duel or your opponent did. There are clan buildings where this is not true, but for abilities, it is true.

Attack helps you score hits. If you do hit, Strength increases your damage. Defense helps you avoid getting hit. IQ is attack and defense both for spells. Thaumaturgy is strength for spells. Your hit points and spell points are calculated using a formula involving your level times your Constitution and Magic, respectively. Note also that because you regenerate your full amount of hit points/spell points in a 24 hour period, increasing your HP/SP also increases the rate of regeneration of your HP/SP.

If you are going to be a (successful) dueler, you need to be at or near the top of the ability totals within your level.
Dátum: 2010.05.14. 01:51:31
Idézet: Grey Rhino - 2010.05.13. 22:49:25
seriously, how well known do you have to be to not be a special group!

You have to be known by the one particular evaluator who gets assigned the question.
Dátum: 2010.05.13. 17:30:17
Idézet: Plutoratte - 2010.05.13. 14:44:09
i have a problem with mind boost, when i use it thievery on just gives me +1 instead of the usual amout it should give.... is it bug?

My guess is your thievery skill is only level 1. Mind boost won't ever do more than double a skill.
Dátum: 2010.05.13. 01:10:13
Idézet: Nemesis 666 - 2010.05.12. 23:52:15
Regarding the exact question, it was called "Ambiguous", and I was told that it was because I didn't have Baseball in the question. I changed my question to add Baseball in, to remove the ambiguity.

I was the one who said I thought the original question was ambiguous because it didn't specify that the sport was baseball. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but that was just my opinion. I am not an evaluator.

Idézet: Dakaan - 2010.05.12. 23:56:49
I don't know anything about baseball since in my country nobody plays that sport .. so i think stekkos has a valid point. What if i ask a question about "oina" that it's a let's say "somehow" similar old sport in Romania ... would you know the answer ?

Baseball is extremely popular throughout the Western Hemisphere, as well as in Japan. Comparing it to oina is just a strawman argument. A better comparison would be cricket, which nobody in the US plays, other than the odd immigrant. The fact that I know nothing about cricket should not make it an invalid subject for a quiz question. It should be an opportunity for me to learn about other cultures. Just as baseball questions would be an opportunity for you to learn something.
Dátum: 2010.05.12. 21:34:01
Idézet: borecdan - 2010.05.12. 21:04:52
LittleJohn - the thing is that the word "Torte" ure talking about is not an english word, but German expression for sth like cake (die Torte). Ive purposedly added the expression "what does it mean in english" as a lead for clever and intelligent people who will notice it and then answer the question correctly.

Certainly it was originally a German word, but we stole it fair and square. It's in English dictionaries now, e.g. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/torte. But either way, my observation is that not all of the evaluators are clever and subtle and patient enough to process the distinction between tort and torte in the 5 minutes they have to evaluate questions.
Dátum: 2010.05.12. 15:49:26
Idézet: Vulpes - 2010.05.12. 11:47:04
For my clan, I want to build a dimension gate, to duel some epic npc's and to collect rings and amulets.
But I cant find it in the buildings menu?

What are the prereq's for a dimension gate?

From http://web.me.com/loquacious_4ever/Tina/Clans.html:

Dimension Gate
Maximum Level: 24
Prerequisites: Aura Shield 4, Energy Crystallizer 3

Energy Crystallizer
Maximum Level: 20
Prerequisites: Palace 2, Mage Tower 6

Palace
Maximum Level: 15
Prerequisite: Watchtower Level 5

Aura Shield
Maximum Level: 25
Prerequisite: Mage Tower 4
Dátum: 2010.05.12. 15:46:06
Idézet: borecdan - 2010.05.12. 10:36:41
My question was rejected...I really want to know why:

What is "tort" in english?

Another word for cake
Slang expression for torture
It means nothing at all
Legal expression for wrongful act among private individuals (true)

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

Theres nothing ambiguous or wrong with the answers. Discuss please

My guess is you stumped the evaluator with the kind of cake wrong answer. Technically, that's spelled torte, but it is often misspelled tort. If you get that tricky with your wrong answers, the odds are good that your question will get rejected. I do the same thing (and get rejected frequently), and I applaud your attempt. But if your primary goal is to get the question accepted (rather than to try to educate a few people), then you are better off not being quite so tricky.
Dátum: 2010.05.12. 15:36:08
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2010.05.11. 18:40:28
Also, if you only have 1 skill point, it will not work yet. For every 2 levels of the skill, you get 1 point of mindboost.

Doh! Thanks, that was it. I'll read the description more closely next time.