Szerző
Topic neve: My quiz question was rejected
much likedNemesis 666
Végzetúr poronty
14 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: My quiz question was rejected
701. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 06:46:19
In a normal Baseball formation (and including the Catcher), how many defensive players play in the Infield?

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
This question is already part of the database.

It's not part of the database, because I asked this already, and it was rejected for being ambiguous. If it was already part of the database, wouldn't it be rejected on that basis, and not on previously being ambiguous? Some consistency would really be nice here.
Pontszám: 5
averageborecdanFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
78 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
702. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 10:36:41
My question was rejected...I really want to know why:

What is "tort" in english?

Another word for cake
Slang expression for torture
It means nothing at all
Legal expression for wrongful act among private individuals (true)

Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

Theres nothing ambiguous or wrong with the answers. Discuss please
Wicked - W2 - diamond
likedPogaxaNő
Végzetúr poronty
227 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
703. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 14:01:23 (Válasz borecdan #702 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: borecdan - 2010.05.12. 10:36:41

Another word for cake
It means nothing at all

it absolutely is a good question but "It means nothing" automatically makes the answers ambiguous. try finding something else for the fourth option.
averageborecdanFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
78 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
704. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 15:11:48 (Válasz Pogaxa #703 hozzászólására.)
Ok Pogaxa, thx, Ill think sth for the fourth option and try to put it in system once again.
Wicked - W2 - diamond
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
705. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 15:46:06 (Válasz borecdan #702 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: borecdan - 2010.05.12. 10:36:41

Another word for cake
It means nothing at all

My guess is you stumped the evaluator with the kind of cake wrong answer. Technically, that's spelled torte, but it is often misspelled tort. If you get that tricky with your wrong answers, the odds are good that your question will get rejected. I do the same thing (and get rejected frequently), and I applaud your attempt. But if your primary goal is to get the question accepted (rather than to try to educate a few people), then you are better off not being quite so tricky.
Pontszám: 3
much likedNemesis 666
Végzetúr poronty
14 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
706. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 16:57:37 (Válasz Nemesis 666 #677 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Nemesis 666 - 2010.05.07. 03:49:19
A) In a normal formation (and including the Catcher), how many defensive players play in the Infield?

According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

B) What is the term for the player that is in the lineup to bat instead of the pitcher?
Designated Hitter
Pinch Hitter
Replacement Hitter
Switch Hitter

According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

Ok, A) isn't the easiest question in the quiz, but is FAR from "ambiguous". There is NO debate about Question B), and having this rejected is a farce.

I've been playing for two days, and these are the first two questions I've asked. If this is any indication of the crap I'm going to have to put up with, just tell me now so I can stop wasting any more time on this game. And I've already gone out and bought Stones, so that tells you how "irritated" I am right now).

Oh, and even better; I wrote these to finish the first quest. So now I can't even ask another question. I really want to hear from a moderator on this, because right now, none of my thoughts towards this game are very positive.

Ok, so now the first question has been rejected for "already being in the database"; which it isn't, since I asked it, and it was rejected as per the above.

And the 2nd question has been rejected for "According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer."; which is strange since it was clearly indicated to me on this forum that a question about the rules in an international sport would pass.

And I am so sick and tired of all the questions with writers and poets. Are those questions seriously considered less "special group" than rules about baseball?

I am just so beyond words as to my frustration with this game right now.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
707. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 19:38:31
The first rejection was by me, and it was because i didnt want you to lose you chance to post a question. Then it seems you went ahedad and posted the same type and got rejected. Baseball is far from international sport, especially if we are talking rules of the game. Football (or soccer) is a much more known sport but you will notice no questions about its rules. On the other hand there are a lot of other type of questions about it, and other sports including baseball. I am sure you got at least a few in the hunts. So is not the sport that gets your questions rejected, its the type of questions you ask.
averageborecdanFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
78 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
708. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 21:04:52 (Válasz ImLittleJon #705 hozzászólására.)
LittleJohn - the thing is that the word "Torte" ure talking about is not an english word, but German expression for sth like cake (die Torte). Ive purposedly added the expression "what does it mean in english" as a lead for clever and intelligent people who will notice it and then answer the question correctly.

In my opinion these Quiz questions should be more tricky than lexicologic coz what all the people do is theyre just "googling" the answers. It should be more educative and entertaining. But now, there is a bunch of question totally stupid and trivial, and on the other hand there are many questions totally out of common knowledge but evaluated as "correct questions" only and only coz of their relativity (proximity) to supported topics such as sports and movies and stupid rock bands.
Wicked - W2 - diamond
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
709. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 21:34:01 (Válasz borecdan #708 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: borecdan - 2010.05.12. 21:04:52
LittleJohn - the thing is that the word "Torte" ure talking about is not an english word, but German expression for sth like cake (die Torte). Ive purposedly added the expression "what does it mean in english" as a lead for clever and intelligent people who will notice it and then answer the question correctly.

Certainly it was originally a German word, but we stole it fair and square. It's in English dictionaries now, e.g. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/torte. But either way, my observation is that not all of the evaluators are clever and subtle and patient enough to process the distinction between tort and torte in the 5 minutes they have to evaluate questions.
much likedNemesis 666
Végzetúr poronty
14 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
710. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 23:52:15 (Válasz stekkos #707 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.12. 19:38:31
The first rejection was by me, and it was because i didnt want you to lose you chance to post a question. Then it seems you went ahedad and posted the same type and got rejected. Baseball is far from international sport, especially if we are talking rules of the game. Football (or soccer) is a much more known sport but you will notice no questions about its rules. On the other hand there are a lot of other type of questions about it, and other sports including baseball. I am sure you got at least a few in the hunts. So is not the sport that gets your questions rejected, its the type of questions you ask.

And why is a sport question rejected at all? We all have the ability to discover an answer, and I would suggest that more people have at least a passing familiarity with baseball than personally experienced (read a book; seen a play; viewed the art) 75% of the "culture" questions. I read somewhere on this forum that there are 200,000 questions in the Hungarian worlds, but only 12,000 in the International game. How is this possible??? How can the culture of one country be 15x larger than the culture of the entire world?

I give you all the credit in the world for stepping forward and taking "credit" for declining it - but the logic behind the decision is simply ludicrous. A good question is a good question; regardless of how many sports questions vs. how many culture questions there are. The quiz is "designed" by the players; if there are "too many" sports questions, it's because that's where the interest of the question askers are.

As for baseball specifically, there is a World Cup of Baseball, so calling it a non-international game is another fallacy.

Regarding the exact question, it was called "Ambiguous", and I was told that it was because I didn't have Baseball in the question. I changed my question to add Baseball in, to remove the ambiguity. Don't come back and "blame" me for re-posting, when I corrected the problem for what it was rejected for in the first place!

How do you justify ANY of this?
popularDakaanFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
112 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
711. hozzászólás - 2010.05.12. 23:56:49 (Válasz Nemesis 666 #710 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Nemesis 666 - 2010.05.12. 23:52:15
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.12. 19:38:31

And why is a sport question rejected at all? We all have the ability to discover an answer, and I would suggest that more people have at least a passing familiarity with baseball than personally experienced (read a book; seen a play; viewed the art) 75% of the "culture" questions. I read somewhere on this forum that there are 200,000 questions in the Hungarian worlds, but only 12,000 in the International game. How is this possible??? How can the culture of one country be 15x larger than the culture of the entire world?

I give you all the credit in the world for stepping forward and taking "credit" for declining it - but the logic behind the decision is simply ludicrous. A good question is a good question; regardless of how many sports questions vs. how many culture questions there are. The quiz is "designed" by the players; if there are "too many" sports questions, it's because that's where the interest of the question askers are.

As for baseball specifically, there is a World Cup of Baseball, so calling it a non-international game is another fallacy.

Regarding the exact question, it was called "Ambiguous", and I was told that it was because I didn't have Baseball in the question. I changed my question to add Baseball in, to remove the ambiguity. Don't come back and "blame" me for re-posting, when I corrected the problem for what it was rejected for in the first place!

How do you justify ANY of this?

I don't know anything about baseball since in my country nobody plays that sport .. so i think stekkos has a valid point. What if i ask a question about "oina" that it's a let's say "somehow" similar old sport in Romania ... would you know the answer ?
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
712. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 01:10:13 (Válasz Dakaan #711 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Nemesis 666 - 2010.05.12. 23:52:15
Regarding the exact question, it was called "Ambiguous", and I was told that it was because I didn't have Baseball in the question. I changed my question to add Baseball in, to remove the ambiguity.

I was the one who said I thought the original question was ambiguous because it didn't specify that the sport was baseball. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but that was just my opinion. I am not an evaluator.

Idézet: Dakaan - 2010.05.12. 23:56:49
I don't know anything about baseball since in my country nobody plays that sport .. so i think stekkos has a valid point. What if i ask a question about "oina" that it's a let's say "somehow" similar old sport in Romania ... would you know the answer ?

Baseball is extremely popular throughout the Western Hemisphere, as well as in Japan. Comparing it to oina is just a strawman argument. A better comparison would be cricket, which nobody in the US plays, other than the odd immigrant. The fact that I know nothing about cricket should not make it an invalid subject for a quiz question. It should be an opportunity for me to learn about other cultures. Just as baseball questions would be an opportunity for you to learn something.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
713. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 03:36:01
The hungarian version of the game is going on for almost a year more than the international version, has more worlds so the same players post more questions and it seems it currently has more players than the international. So culture has nothing to do with the ammount of questions.

As for baseball being popular or not, this is not the issue. Posting questions about the rules of a sport is not general trivia, is specific subject. Only those that want to learn to PLAY the sport need it. On the other hand, as LittleJon said, the questions should be about learning something, even if you will never play the sport. So, learning that baseball is a game involving hitting the ball with a bat is a good question, or what is called a home run. On the other hand, questions like ""In a normal formation (and including the Catcher), how many defensive players play in the Infield"", are too into the details, using words that you have to know baseball to understand the question in the first place. So the player doent learn something about the game, it just tries to figure out what the question is talking about to get the 10% from the hunt.

Another small issue is that Nemesis is posting these type of questions ONLY. Why not post about other subjects also, that will surely bring more variety to the quiz and get more questions evaluated as good.
much likedNemesis 666
Végzetúr poronty
14 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
714. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 03:51:40 (Válasz ImLittleJon #712 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.05.13. 01:10:13
Idézet: Dakaan - 2010.05.12. 23:56:49

Baseball is extremely popular throughout the Western Hemisphere, as well as in Japan. Comparing it to oina is just a strawman argument. A better comparison would be cricket, which nobody in the US plays, other than the odd immigrant. The fact that I know nothing about cricket should not make it an invalid subject for a quiz question. It should be an opportunity for me to learn about other cultures. Just as baseball questions would be an opportunity for you to learn something.

Bingo. And don't forget Australia. The very fact that somebody in this game says "They don't do X here, therefore it shouldn't be in the quiz" creates a MASSIVE problem with the international flavour of the quiz. You shouldn't be able to ask European questions that North America doesn't know (in spite of an evident tendency to the contrary) and then turn around and decline what *might* have a North American slant, merely because it's not known in the Eastern Bloc. A good question is a good question, and it shouldn't be kicked over debatable geography.

I do not care in the slightest what goes on with the Quiz on the Hungarian servers. But you have to treat the World servers as WORLD servers.
much likedNemesis 666
Végzetúr poronty
14 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
715. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 05:02:52 (Válasz stekkos #713 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.05.13. 03:36:01
The hungarian version of the game is going on for almost a year more than the international version, has more worlds so the same players post more questions and it seems it currently has more players than the international. So culture has nothing to do with the ammount of questions.

As for baseball being popular or not, this is not the issue. Posting questions about the rules of a sport is not general trivia, is specific subject. Only those that want to learn to PLAY the sport need it. On the other hand, as LittleJon said, the questions should be about learning something, even if you will never play the sport. So, learning that baseball is a game involving hitting the ball with a bat is a good question, or what is called a home run. On the other hand, questions like ""In a normal formation (and including the Catcher), how many defensive players play in the Infield"", are too into the details, using words that you have to know baseball to understand the question in the first place. So the player doent learn something about the game, it just tries to figure out what the question is talking about to get the 10% from the hunt.

Another small issue is that Nemesis is posting these type of questions ONLY. Why not post about other subjects also, that will surely bring more variety to the quiz and get more questions evaluated as good.

1) I never said Culture was related to the quantity of questions; I said that culture should not be an excuse to EXCLUDE a question.
2) The rules of an international sport is no more specific than asking about the writer of the Sword of Truth or asking a L.O.T.R. questions about how many rings went to Elven Kings
3) If every question in the quiz was as simplistic as "what do you call the thing that hits a golf ball", that part of the game would be TRULY pathetic. As much as you don't care to learn about Baseball Infielders, I don't care to learn about writers or philosophers. While I don't dispute that your role as a Mod is more important than mine as a player, I do dispute the fact that you control a facet of the game based partially on your personal interests.
4) If I were a zoologist, and every question I asked was about animals, would you be tracking/asking this? Maybe if there were enough questions about topics I like (sports), I wouldn't feel the need to balance the quiz.
5) Google "Players Infield Baseball", and right in the Google text preview; "In the standard arrangement of a baseball team in the field, three players are in the distant outfield and six on the infield, the square baseball diamond ..."
6) According to http://mostpopularwebsites.net/51-100/, ESPN is the #80 visited website (and a lot higher if you take out the dozen international Google and several Yahoos and eBays). I didn't see any Arts&Lit sites in the top 100, yet there appears to be at least a 5:1 ratio on Culture vs. Sports questions.

I still have not read any legitimate reason for questions of this nature to be declined, aside from things that reveal personal or geographical bias'; neither of which are healthy in developing an International game.
much likedvajenka
Végzetúr poronty
43 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
716. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 05:58:53
OH MY GOD, I wrote a question and writer Charles Dickens in forbiden word!!!!!!
everyone's favoriteshadowpreyer
Végzetúr poronty
6 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
717. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 06:58:57
please tell me which of these words is mispelled

According to scholars, why did man domesticate grain?
stable food source
beer
they were bored
didn't want to chase down fast animals
much likedLydonB
Végzetúr poronty
266 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
718. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 09:15:19 (Válasz shadowpreyer #717 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: shadowpreyer - 2010.05.13. 06:58:57
please tell me which of these words is mispelled

According to scholars, why did man domesticate grain?
stable food source
beer
they were bored
didn't want to chase down fast animals

None.

Domesticate and grain don't go very well with each other. But still, it is a valid synonym.
A hozzászólást LydonB módosította 2010.05.13. 09:17:27-kor
unpopulars5jst
Végzetúr poronty
28 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
719. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 11:26:42 (Válasz Miklos #1 hozzászólására.)
Which Musketeer was rewarded with a diamond ring from the queen?

Athos
Aramis
Porthos
D'Artagnan

According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.
....BUT WE ALL HAVE TO KNOW ALL DETAILS FROM ALL HARRY POTTER´S BOOKS....
I AM DISAPPOINTED ABOUT EVALUATORS KNOWLEDGE AND CRITERIA FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF QUESTIONS....
public enemyGrey Rhino
Végzetúr poronty
8 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
720. hozzászólás - 2010.05.13. 22:49:25
Which of the following is not a Kylie Minogue song?

In Your Eyes
In My Arms
Hand on Your Heart
Call To Your Heart (this is a Dannii Minogue song - all others are Kylie)

According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

Kylie Minogue - she has achieved worldwide record sales of more than 68 million, and has received notable music awards, including multiple ARIA and Brit Awards and a Grammy Award. She has mounted several successful concert tours and received a Mo Award for "Australian Entertainer of the Year" for her live performances. She was awarded an OBE "for services to music", and an Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 2008.

My point, "According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer", seriously, how well known do you have to be to not be a special group!
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőRésföld - a HKK legújabb kiegészítője