Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Manannan Mac Lir

Oldal: 123
Dátum: 2011.01.29. 20:15:49
In which war did the Bloody Sunday happen?
French Revolution
American Revolutionary War
Italian Independence War
Irish War of Independence <-------

This question glorifies terrorism by calling the IRA campaign a war of independence.

Eire is already independent.
Dátum: 2011.01.26. 03:03:29
A rapier is a thrusting sword with no cutting edge - so it inflicts puncture wounds....

Insread of just sword as the 'right' answer maybe should be more specific - Saber for example
Dátum: 2011.01.26. 02:48:50
What late 19th-century French painter was known for his pictures of ballet dancers?

I answered Edgar Degas
http://www.vialin.com/artgallery/degasposter.html

as it says - He is especially known for his paintings of ballet dancers and other women - but am told that is the wrong answer - why?
Dátum: 2011.01.22. 01:16:40
There was a question asking what Malamutes used for in world war 2

Knowing that

During World War II, Malamutes were inducted into the army for the purpose of guarding installations in their native Alaska
http://www.quadrant.net/amcc/breeders_public.html

I selected the Guard Dog - only to be told I was wrong.....
Dátum: 2011.01.19. 06:41:25
my bad

Which famous Royal Navy ship was sunk by the Bismarck on the 24th May 1941?

Resubmitted
Dátum: 2011.01.17. 21:45:36
You have 01:57 more time to answer.
What is the newest sport added to the Winter Olympics?
Luge
Short Track Speed Skating
Biathlon
Snowboarding

Snowboarding is the last on that list - added in 1998 BUT it is not the last added - as on 31st december 2010 Skeleton is as it was added in 2002.
Dátum: 2011.01.12. 17:31:34
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2011.01.12. 06:42:03
Theoretically, what is the minimum number of strokes a player needs to make to win a set at tennis?

In a quick search, I found two ways to answer this question and neither one of them was a choice in the answers.
Option 1) 4 shots to win a game, and there are 6 games in a set, so the answer is 24
Option 2) both players could in theory double fault every game to get to a tie break. Both players would than continue to double fault until 5-6. Than the person who serves first would be 5-6 down. The other person would than have to get an ace or service winner to win the set with only one shot going in.

Option 3. 12

The player who wins Aces all his serves and the Player that loses Double faults all his - however - does a double fault still count as a stroke even if it is a false stroke?

This in this case the answer would be 36 - where as if they served 'out' the answer would be 24....
Dátum: 2011.01.12. 17:21:52
The 1981 German film 'Das Boot' tells the story of?

A German submarine crew.
The history of German boot making.
A comedy about a pair of red shoes.
A punk-rock band.

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

Was my mistake in identify that it was a German film without saying that it has been dubbed into English and shown at least in England both at the pictures and several times on the TV? Is this what made the reviewer reject the question?

If you use 'alltheweb.com' as your search engine the first hit is an English Wikki artical about the film and giving you the answer so its not hard to find out if you did not see the film yourself - and is always going to be the way you have to check any film or book if you have not personally read it recently.

Das Boot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plot|Cast|Production|VersionsDas Boot is a 1981 German epic war film written and directed by Wolfgang Petersen, produced by Günter Rohrbach, and starring Jürgen Prochnow, Herbert Grönemeyer and Klaus Wennemann. It...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot_(film) - Cached
Dátum: 2011.01.11. 09:58:13
Update on my Questions

The main character of the 2001 film about the battle of Stalingrad, ‘Enemy at the Gates’ is Vassili Zaitsev. But what was he? 90%

In the 2008 Film 'Jumper' a Jumper is somebody who? 100%

‘Faith’, ‘Hope’ and ‘Charity’ were icons of the World War 2 defence of Malta. What were they? 16.67%

(Really suprised at the low numbers here - I use 'all the web' as my search engine and the first entry says they were aircraft...)

When did the City of Constantinople fall to the Ottomans under Sultan Mehmet II? 80%

Which was the last country to declare war on the Axis Powers during the Second World War? 50%

(2010) With which countries does North Korea share a land border? 33.33%

(People always forget that their is a boarder with Russia for some reason)

According to the Guinness World Records (2008). Where is the coldest place in the Known Universe? 57.14%

Who is the current (2010) Lord of Mann? 66.67%

Her Majesty ***, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India. *** = ? 73.33%

Winston Churchill’s ‘trade mark’ smoking item was a? 50%

(I thought everybody would have known this but.....)

Which Australian cricketer ended up with a career test batting average of 99.94? 40%

(An easy question if you are from a country that follows cricket - or if you use the web)

In the 2010 film 'Inception' the main character steals secrets by? 66.67%

Which two nations play test cricket for the 'Ashes'? 61.48%

(Very topical at the minute - I expect it may drop in a few months - Barmy Army Barmy Army )

Who headed the American team that won the 1908 New York to Paris automobile race. (The Germans having been given a 30 day time penalty)? 48.84%

(2010) At how many consecutive Olympic games has Sir Steve Redgrave won a Gold medal in the rowing? 64%

In which year did the Tour de France made its first visit to England, with a circuit stage on the Plympton By-pass? 37.5%

What is "Wrong Way" Corrigan is famous for? 57.14%

Which Roman Emperor ordered the Building of the Hagia Sophia – which was the Worlds largest cathedral for nearly 1000 years? 25%

(I guess people are jumping at Constintine without checking....)

As of 1st December 2010, roughly how many nuclear tests have there been world wide? 60%

Who Commanded the British 8th Army at the First Battle of El Alamein? 9.52%

(I guess people are forgetting the 'First Battle' part - Monty took over in time for the second battle. I guess this will get dropped if the figures do not pick up)

Which author wrote the Cadfael books? 63.48%

During World War 2 the British ‘Twenty’ Committee was responsible for which of the following? 37.5%

(This has gone up recently - I guess people have searched it Would it have been easier if I had called it the XX Committee ie Double cross....)
Dátum: 2011.01.10. 14:36:04
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2011.01.02. 15:35:24
‘Faith’, ‘Hope’ and ‘Charity’ were icons of the World War 2 defence of Malta. What were they?

Sorry, I thought I copied the answers too. The correct answer really did have a spelling error.

and only 18% of people are getting it right.... I am supprised
Dátum: 2011.01.10. 13:59:19
Which country's flag is called - "Union Jack"?
Australia
Great Britain
Canada
The USA

Slight flaw in question.

The GB flag is the Union FLAG - it is only the Union Jack when flown on a ship....
Dátum: 2011.01.08. 06:13:06
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2011.01.07. 18:22:23
In the Lord of the Rings novels, which two characters are brothers?

Gandalf and Sauron
Aragorn and Faramir
Boromir and Denethor < -----
Frodo and Sam

"He married Finduilas, daughter of Prince Adrahil of Dol Amroth. She gave birth to two sons: Boromir and Faramir,"

You could argue that as Gandalf and Sauron are both 'angelic' beings (although one fallen) they are brothers in having the same creator/father...
Dátum: 2011.01.07. 02:36:33
re-submitted as

The main character of the 2001 film about the battle of Stalingrad, ‘Enemy at the Gates’ is Vassili Zaitsev. But what was he?

A Sniper.
A Political Officer.
A Medic.
A Traitor.

Which was accepted
Dátum: 2011.01.06. 19:55:40
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2011.01.06. 18:05:00
Which of these is not an aircraft?
A10 Warthog
Jadpanther
Zeppelin
Concorde

A 'which is not question' I think.

Also it has two 'right' answers.

A Zeppelin is not an aircraft but an airSHIP. It is a lighter than Air flying machine. By definition that is not an aircraft which is a powered heavier than air flying machine. (So a Glider is not really an Aircraft)
Dátum: 2011.01.06. 16:29:49
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2011.01.06. 16:23:15
2 things

u could maybe specify what was he a bit more...

is Vassili Zaitsev. (What did he play in the film)

and

partisan could be changed to freedom fighter?

dunno just woke up and taking a stab in the dark

Vassili Zatsev is the name of the Charactor in the film NOT the name of the Actor who played him. I did this so that a google search of his name would quickly identify him rather than expecting people to know which character an actor played.

Partisan is the correct title for an irregular pro-soviet fighter opperating behind German lines in WW2.
Dátum: 2011.01.06. 16:21:49
How much zero mentioned in a billion?

American Billion 1,000,000,000 or British Billion 1,000,000,000,000....
Dátum: 2011.01.06. 16:17:22
I am hoping the evaluator might post his / her reasoning so I can understand it...

Maybe they confused the word Partisan with the word Patriot? So they thought he was a Partisan Sniper? I guess if English is not their first language that is possible....

But then does that mean we have to provide a dictionary definition for all the words we use?
Dátum: 2011.01.06. 15:59:31
Idézet: Bash Chelik - 2011.01.06. 15:54:25
actually, he was a shepherd

lol - there is a fleeting mention of that in the film - that would be 'only a special group would know this' - /[enter geek mode] a shepherd boy from the Urals - who failed to shoot the wolf and had to watch it kill the horse before his grandfather took the rifle and fired /[exit geek mode]

His being a sniper is the main focus of the film. so..... still confused
Dátum: 2011.01.06. 15:46:53
I am confused....

The main character of the 2001 film about the battle of Stalingrad, ‘Enemy at the Gates’ is Vassili Zaitsev. But who was he?

A Sniper.
A Political Officer.
A Partisan.
A Traitor.

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

Vassili Zaitsev was a sniper - he is world famous as such - the head of the US Sniper School attended his funeral he is that famous. He was regular army - ended up a captain so could not be a Partisan or a Political officer (There is a political officer in the film but he has a different name and is not the main character) and as a hero of the Soviet Union he could not be a traitor.

So how can the answer be ambiguous or wrong???
Dátum: 2010.12.26. 22:40:19
Wolvesbane also exists for the same purpose in many legends and folk tales....
Oldal: 123