Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - eukar

Oldal: 123456
Dátum: 2011.06.21. 22:46:51
Which Bible character was not a prophet?
Samuel
Elisha
Elijah
David

I am not a profi, but wiki lists all four of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophets_of_Christianity

Maybe some extra condition is needed that distinguishes one from other 3.
Dátum: 2011.06.21. 22:45:16
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.06.21. 10:33:31
Asked for the pH of Distilled water.

I gave 6 as the answer as many many sites say that it starts at 7 but, within 24 hrs, soon drops to 6 and even lower. Therefore I was as correct as those who gave the answer as 7.

Actually, it can be whatever, depending on how experienced a person was who distilled it

Seriously, it will always be below 7.
Dátum: 2011.06.14. 18:23:22
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.14. 17:57:47
Book question has 65% correct answers. So i see no reason to remove it even if i cannot say how do people get the answer

Oh, I would answer correctly because I believe in Tolstoy's talent

But I have to say that the difference is not that significant.
War and peace is cca 2.51 million symbols (w/o spaces).
Les Miserables is cca 2.45 million symbols (w/o spaces, in Russian translation).

I would say, when the difference is so low, it can possibly depend on the language of the text.
Anyway, as the correct answer is still correct - it's not a suggestion to change or remove the question, but just a remark.
Dátum: 2011.06.14. 06:45:40
Idézet: Gemini - 2011.06.14. 02:19:45

In which European country is smoking Cannabis legal?
Germany
England
Holland
France
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not LEGAL it is DECRIMINALIZED. There is a difference.

Also, it has recently been much restricted for foreigners.
Dátum: 2011.06.12. 11:08:43
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.12. 10:28:50
If you check out the data sheet of any element, including carbon, you will see a melting point and a boiling point. Ofcourse an element will not boil in the most commonly used way of the word. It is a term referring to the temperature needed to bring it to gas state from liquid. Example:

Name: Carbon
Symbol: C
Melting Point: 3500.0 °C (3773.15 K, 6332.0 °F)
Boiling Point: 4827.0 °C (5100.15 K, 8720.6 °F)

If I am the only who finds anything wrong in the terms used - I would readily agree that it is only a language issue.

But (last remark on this issue to be completely satisfied) - data quoted above is not for "carbon", it is for one of the carbon forms. It is often omitted, but thermal (and any other) data is given for a certain elementary compound formed by an element or (if not stated, as in the carbon example) - for the elementary compound which is the most stable under standard conditions (for carbon it is graphite).

Anyway, elementary allotropes is a large topic - and without going into much details I agree that for our quiz system the question as written now is ok.
Dátum: 2011.06.12. 07:03:35
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.12. 06:09:26
Boiling point refers to the temperature when an element moves from liquid state to gas. So the question is ok

I am 99% sure it is correct (or at least nothing incorrect) to change "element" to "compound" or "elementary compound" in the question. I leave 1% for the possibility that in English (it is not my native) "element" may be just short for "elementary compound". To be honest, I did not notice that in professional books I have read - but wiki often uses "element" in such manner, so probably it's true.

For example: carbon is a chemical element. What is its boiling point? Nobody knows - because there exist boiling points of diamond, graphite, or C60 fullerene - elementary compounds made of that element.

I do not insist - but hopefully this explanation makes my point clear.

Agreed on the other points.
Dátum: 2011.06.11. 23:39:09
Which is the largest continent?
Africa
Asia
Europe
North America

I believe that to treat Eurasia as a single continent or to divide it into Europe ans Asia is a matter of teaching tradition at a given country (at least I was taught that Eurasia is a continent, and Europe and Asia are "parts of the world"). Thus, even though both approaches are equally accepted (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent), I believe the question is ambiguous and should be removed.
Dátum: 2011.06.11. 23:18:07
Who fought in the war of 1812?
Great Britain vs India
Great Britain vs France
Canada vs Great Britain
*United States vs Great Britain

Besides the answer marked as correct, French invasion of Russia (also known as the Patriotic War of 1812) dates 1812 as well. As Russia is not stated anywhere in the answers, presumed answer may be found (but notice France is there). It seems that wording is not completely accurate, although.
Dátum: 2011.06.11. 23:04:41
Which chemical element has the lowest boiling point?
Helium
Oxygen
Hydrogen
Argon

An element cannot boil. It would be correct to ask "Which substance..."
Dátum: 2011.06.11. 22:31:42
Now "Magic wand of mapping" is available.
Dátum: 2011.06.11. 21:50:15
How many time zones are there?

24 is an obvious question (and it is marked as correct). But as far as I know there are more time zones. Here http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?sort=2 I counted 29 (may be mistaken - checked only once - but at least more than 24).
Dátum: 2011.06.10. 07:52:51
I don't see anything resembling "wand of detection" at the huckster's. Shall it appear later?
Dátum: 2011.06.10. 07:20:07
Idézet: Hatsepsut - 2011.06.09. 12:14:12

So when will we receive the SE reward?
There are more than 25 thousand questions in the database, so be patient. If you are lucky, you can get some reward every day, but if unlucky, you must wait quite a lot before getting anything, but then you may get a bigger amount.

Could you please clarify what is meant above? If I have got the number of categorized questions increased as shown in the profile, but received no additional SE - how long will it take to get the reward?
Dátum: 2011.06.09. 10:42:50
A friend of mine did some categorizations but claims to get absolutely nothing! And he cannot be confused - he has simply nobody under recommendation section and his clan does not have torture chamber - so he simply gets 0.000.
Dátum: 2011.06.05. 22:30:15
Idézet: Wtfakkeltje - 2011.06.05. 15:14:48

Also, I think there's a category missing, namely politics.

Politics is under "Other sciences"
Dátum: 2011.06.05. 13:34:14
What was Victor Frankenstein's assistant called in the movie?
Igor*
Ian
Ivan
Icarus

I am not an expert in such stuff, but according to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_%281931_film%29)

Although Frankenstein's hunchbacked assistant is often referred to as "Igor" in descriptions of the films, this is incorrect. In both Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, Frankenstein has an assistant who is played both times by Dwight Frye who is crippled. In the original 1931 film the character is named "Fritz" who is hunchbacked and walks with the aid of a small cane. In Bride of Frankenstein, Frye plays "Karl" a murderer who stands upright but has a lumbering metal brace on both legs that can be heard clicking loudly with every step.
Dátum: 2011.05.22. 12:55:41
How high can the average cat jump?
9 times as high as it's tails is long.
7 times as high as it's tails is long.
5 times as high as it's tails is long.
2 times as high as it's tails is long.

1) What the hell is "the average cat"? Is it standartized like the "horse power"? Breaking scientific news.
2) What if the tail is cut? Such cat cannot jump at all?

Stupid, stupid and once again STUPID!
Dátum: 2011.05.18. 11:52:50
Idézet: Banned - 2010.03.19. 21:05:00
Idézet: Ciphas - 2010.03.19. 17:08:44
I think this is a mistake :

How high is the highest peak in Europe?
Mount Blanc - 4810
Mount Everest - 8848
Mount Everest - 4810
Mount Blanc -8848

The answer I found :
Mount Elbrus, 5642m. in Caucasus :

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_highest_peak_in_Europe

You are correct, sir. People tend to forget just because Elbrus is in Russia, that it is not in Asia.

Perhaps the author of the query should either change the answer...or to keep the answer; amend the question to:
"How high is the highest peak in the European Union?"

It is still in the base FOR MORE THAN A YEAR!
I once complained about editors not accepting a correct question without explanation - but at least they should correct their obvious mistakes!
Dátum: 2011.01.19. 16:41:33
I'm actually not in the mood to try guessing what did the Evaluator think of. Fortunately my work in real life allows to prepare tests and problems for people who are interested in them and open to discuss. So I loose nothing rejecting to ask questions here in the game.

As for the question above - I could have understood "spelling" reject, I would argue against "special knowledge" reject, I would not be even upset with "in database" reject - as I do not know the whole database. But "ambiguous or wrong" case leaves me no opportunity to correct spelling or grammatical errors. I can't understand what "ambiguous or wrong" is in asking about winning Nobel Prize and listing 4 persons on which only one actually got it. I saw no comments from the Evaluator or other evaluators here, in the thread supposed to be a way of discussion and correcting rejected questions.

I'm not complaining at all. Again, I have many opportunities to do what I like (problem preparation) in my native language and in the fields I am an expert. So, all that letters above are only to explain my point of view.
Dátum: 2011.01.19. 11:56:40
Well, life's simple. After several days of silence about why a question with a single correct answer was evaluated as totally wrong I just refused to add further questions and got 10 portions of SE for that.
Oldal: 123456