Oldal: 1234567891011
Dátum: 2010.08.12. 01:59:21
What is the largest bird of prey?
Andean Condor <-- correct
Bald Eagle
American something
Something else

Largest? Ambiguous?
Largest can be heaviest, biggest wingspan, tallest anything...
Bird of prey can mean anything too... are vultures a bird of prey when they scavenge??
This site sums it all up neatly: http://www.naturalvisionsphoto.com/weblog2/2009/01/no-easy-answer.html

There was also a question on the Delta series written by Emily Rodda (though that's not the actual name of the author, it is still the name she used to publish the series) but my computer crashed when it was typing out the post and I forgot the question.
There was a spelling mistake though, Emily Rodda was spelled Emily Rhoda so if you can, please find and fix.
Dátum: 2010.08.10. 22:22:35
Re: Quiz errors
1538. post - 2010.07.13. 05:21:06
What are the only two animals to have gills in the embrianic stage of life?
Frogs and Fish
Humans and Fish <- marked as correct
Fish & Snakes
Fish and Salamanders

1st its embryonic not embrianic.
2nd either human embryos do not have gills, or all mammals do. Actually the theory that postulates that human embryos have "gill like structures" postulates that bird and reptile embryos do as well. No biologist will claim that human embryos have gills.

So this question should never have been approved.

Quote from MartinBV

Just answered this question and thankfully got it right because this post came up in the google search!
Human embryo's have gills? That's ridiculous... our DNA just does not produce gills...
However, there do seem to be some theories circulating (though I'm not sure how scientific it is and not just a little hyped up) such as the recapitulation theory. However, emphasis on the theory part- it isn't confirmed so I think it's ambiguous.

Not only that, there's a spelling mistake... Why hasn't someone corrected that at least if they deem the question to be good? It will put people off posting and trying to improve the quiz system in the game if they feel the questions aren't changed even if they do try and go out of their way.

It would be good to know if these questions are actually changed by an admin/evaluator or whatever who has access to the database and can delete these posts as the questions are corrected... That reduces the massive size of this topic and keeps us players happy. Alternatively, we could have a ticket system where a player can actually submit a question for either re-evaluation (requires 10 or more players to suggest re-evaluation) or suggest an alternative/alteration to the question. It sounds complicated, but if it was limited to something simple like:

Bad question:
Question...
Answer 1
Answer 2
Answer 3
Answer 4

100 character summary of why the question is wrong

Suggestion: OR request deletion []
Question
Answer 1
Answer 2
Answer 3
Answer 4

Please remind us that it's not a waste of time to post here!

Hewman100, aerial combat really took off in WW1 and although the small group may not have been given the title The US Air Force, it makes more sense then saying a bunch of merry men in aeroplanes...
Dátum: 2010.08.08. 21:41:24
The Twin of Apollo is?
Artemis

Already in the database kind of... 3 questions before this, I was asked which gods were fraternal twins (Apollo and Artemis was the right answer)

Delete one if they are too similar, I'm not sure how strict you want to be on the duplicate questions.
Dátum: 2010.08.08. 20:15:58
What do yellow roses signify?
Friendship
Love
Hate
Fear

Unfortunately I didn't have time to answer because I was waiting for the forum to load up -.-
I was going to say Friendship, but I think this is ambiguous:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_the_different_colors_of_roses_signify

Yellow signifies: dying love, platonic love, friendship, jealousy, infidelity
Yellow with red tips: Friendship, falling in love

According to one site, but still it's ambiguous I think.
Dátum: 2010.08.06. 13:45:27
Which is the second biggest city in Bulgaria?

Get rid of? I read somewhere in a list of things for evaluators to filter out was the second best things... Classes as uninteresting lexical knowledge, surely.

As for hockey, wouldn't it be easier to just put either 'field' or 'ice' or any other branch in front of hockey when it comes up in a question? Otherwise mark it as ambiguous?

I think field hockey is more well known anyway. In definitely came before ice hockey and official rules were drawn up in England 1850ish whereas ice hockey 1885 in Canada by some bored Brits.
Dátum: 2010.08.06. 13:33:36
Thanks
Is there anywhere I can see a list of the items in each batch? I know of http://web.me.com/loquacious_4ever/Tina/Special.html but it doesn't list any batches... Or is it too special knowledge?
Can anyone confirm round numbers to be the batch decider? It makes more sense for the new batch to arrive every 15 levels (the number of monsters you need to kill) so at 65, 80, 95 etc. but I don't know and that could get pretty high. How many items do each batch have- 3? 10?

Sorry if these questions are a 'just wait and see, get out of my hair' thing, but I want to see how important on my list of priorities constitution is.
Dátum: 2010.08.05. 18:37:17
Another entity question... the different batches of equipment... am I offered the equipment of the first aswell as the second batch if I do enough to get the second.

Does that equipment selection get depend on the final level monster I defeat? What level would that need to be? If I do +2 on every battle, do I get the second batch (or +3 getting the third batch etc)?

Going up 4500hp every three levels is tough :/
Dátum: 2010.08.04. 21:22:21
What kind of animals have the sensing organ called Ampullae of Lorenzini?
Fishes <-- right answer
Birds
Something else
Something else

Fishes? Plural of Fish=Fish

Which of these books wasn't written by J. R. R. Tolkien?
Children of Hurin
Unfinished tales
The lord of the rings
Children of Dune

Being picky but It should be capitals on The Lord of the Rings

Wath romanian soccer team won the Champions League in 1986?
Capitals and spelling...
Should be:
Which Romanian soccer team won the Champions League in 1986?
Dátum: 2010.08.03. 17:21:43
Can I ask what was wrong with this? Please suggest re-wording

Who designed and created the FIFA World Cup Trophy?

Jules Rimet
Silvio Gazzaniga <-- right answer
Abel Lafleur
Franz Beckenbauer

The FIFA world cup and the Jules Rimet cup are different cups, even though they're for the same tournament, they have separate names.
Dátum: 2010.08.02. 11:28:57
Sounds like level 53 entity will be getting smashed tonight
Thanks a lot, couldn't seem to find anyone else who had the answer
Dátum: 2010.08.02. 02:38:46
I defeated my first entity on world 2 and I have the option to have the next entity 1, 2 or 3 levels higher than the one I killed. What is the benefit of skipping to 3 levels? I can imagine it would be considerably harder, but would it mean I would have to kill less than 15 to get my choice of ring/necklace?
Thanks for any replies
Dátum: 2010.08.02. 02:20:18
The Hobbit is a pretty famous book, and there is actually a film of it coming out relatively soon (2012). It is 'Probably the most famous children's book of modern times' according to www.tolkien.co.uk, though I guess they would say that! As a result, the fantasy card games that have bloomed recently is the 'what is the second best' aspect they're trying to get rid of in the system.

However, it is a fairly specific question which not many people (including me, and I've read it) will know off by heart. It is an interesting scene so I don't think it's too much of a bore to look up again though
Dátum: 2010.07.31. 11:54:41
What is the strongest human muscle?
Quadriceps
Tongue <-- 'correct' answer
Something else (maybe biceps)
Triceps

Strength can be defined as many different things making these answers quite ambiguous:
The tongue is made up of 16 different muscles and isn't even the strongest in terms of strength:weight ratio. Either the eye muscles or even the uterus tops that (through childbirth).
The jaw muscles can exert the most force yet it's not even listed
The Quadriceps have the most muscles fibers, making it the most likely answer and it's generally listed as such.
The heart can be the strongest, as over it's lifetime it exerts the most power (1-5 watts constantly over 80 years as apposed to 100 watts for a few seconds from the Quadriceps)

Change to quadriceps or delete please
Dátum: 2010.07.30. 22:08:08
Who was the first Roman Emperor?
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus
Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus <-- Right
Lucius Septimius Severus
Gaius Julius Caesar

I think there is another question like this one already in the system, though I think this one is the better (full names instead of simplified). Please check and delete one
Dátum: 2010.07.29. 21:39:18
Apologies if this has already been mentioned:

How long does it take to hard-boil a three pound ostrich egg?
45 mins
1 hour
1 hour 30 mins
1 hour 45 mins <---- The 'correct' answer

This site might be wrong but it quite clearly states that it's about 40 minutes:
http://www.dietjungle.com/ostrich-eggs.html

This one is an opinion:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_would_it_take_to_boil_an_ostrich_egg

This one says it varies with different breeds but seems to conclude at about 1.5 hours:
http://www.foodaq.com/html/Vegetarian-Vegan/50915.html

This one actually says it's 1 hour 45 but still, it was the only one I could find
http://www.triviacountry.com/39_Food.htm

And so on... please change!
Dátum: 2010.07.27. 13:10:40
Unfortunately I'm not the type to organize something on that scale- someone who was more involved or a group of evaluators should conglomerate and come to terms with something that most people would agree on. With the right advertisement and members involved, it is more than possible to achieve. It won't suit everyone's needs, but won't most people see it as a positive step?

When answering the questions, they are spot on 99% of the time- things are improving which I'm happy to hear. I tend to avoid asking questions because I can't really get the hang of them and I think that the rules already in place do filter out most of the rubbish that is asked.
Dátum: 2010.07.24. 20:38:38
We all know that something needs to be done. I agree with a lot of what's being said but there's no overall decision. If we really want something to be done, there's no point in writing pages and pages of rants (I got bored after reading to the end of the second page and skipped to here) as it's so difficult to trawl through.

Some kind of conclusion should be made with the most involved in this discussion and the evaluators/administrators. It should have a list of say 10 points and that should be the only document around for people to agree to. Then, a petition should be made with 500+ names which would be sent off to someone higher up in the games ladder.

I realize that that is a big job, but after reading this, there are some striking points which stick out. There could be 4 different proposals that everyone can vote for on the main forum and the one with the majority of votes gets implemented. We need something concise and with a lot of names behind it. It might not be perfect, but it would be a helluva lot better.

There are lots of shoulds and coulds in this post. We need someone who has the power to take control (Administrator?) and lead this in the direction it needs to go...
Dátum: 2010.05.01. 22:31:45
I don't remember the exact question, but it was something like:
Which of these is a font?
Veranda
German
-can't remember-
Arial

Veranda and Arial are both fonts. This system makes me laugh, as I went with Veranda when the answer was Arial.

Exact question: Which of the great matematicians built foundations of the differential calculus?
Isaac Newton
Someone else
Someone else
Someone else

Isaac was right, but google says there is great controversy over who founded calculus. Wikipedia said Isaac was probably the most famous contributer (which made me go for him), but the question is still unclear. Not to mention the spelling mistake is 'matematicians'.

Please, Please sort this out.
Dátum: 2010.05.01. 22:13:35
IMO, the moleon question was correctly evaluated.

LittleJohn, thank you for enlightening me and taking the time to look through my post. I wrote it in a fit of rage!

I would like to know where this thread is, and I think we should get a petition going where everyone who agrees signs up. If opinions are too varied on a successful system, the poll should be closed, and the discussion should be used to open up a new system.

I think it adds a great deal of fun to the game, it gives it an individuality which makes up for the games lack of visual interest.

In my opinion, the questions should be:
1. General knowledge (up to secondary education/high school/ 16 years)
2. Straightforward
3. Not immediately googled (the quiz olympics should be based on quizzical knowledge, not the speed you can copy and paste- the only reason people don't score 50/50 is because the answers are wrong or there are multiple answers)
4. Spell checked immediately! There is a spell checker on these forums, how hard can it really be to implement it on the quiz section?
5. Automatically checked if there are similar questions (yahoo answers does it... why can't doomlord?)
6. Rewards much higher (level^3 +100)- let people enjoy the unique aspect of the game more
7. Much harder to submit a question (interesting puzzles and linguistic challenges are GREAT, I enjoy it when they come along, not when I have to google something boring)
8. More evaluators

The combination of higher rewards for higher level players, but harder to submit the question means only good quality questions will be submitted, with little impact on the number of questions allowed through (higher quality, but greater quantity). This puts emphasis on the main unique aspect of this game- the quizzes. I understand that there is a delicate balance in the power of players, and having a reward with level^3 will possibly disrupt the power balance, making it harder for new players to enter the game. As a result, the exact reward formula should be thought about very carefully, and not by someone with half an A level in maths

If you could post this link referring to the thread about updating the system, hopefully more people will read it and 'sign' the petition. Admins can't ignore petitions of over 200 people.
Dátum: 2010.04.30. 15:48:14
This system pisses me off.

Crackdown is a game on which game console?

Xbox
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Wii

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Your answers are ambiguous or wrong to this question.

I assume it refers to Xbox and the Xbox 360. If that is the case, would it have been ambiguous to have PS2 in there as well? The Xbox is a games console, and the Xbox 360 is a TOTALLY different console.

So OK, I guess the names are a little mixed up, but would they have evaluated it wrong if Nintendo DS was the right answer, with Nintendo 64 the wrong one?

Also, all these questions that are evaluated as only a special group of people will know the answer to are bullcrap. Who ACTUALLY knows the answers to these questions? Yeah, I can answer about 50% with general knowledge, but it's the internet that gives me my answers, and I'm sure it's the same for most people.

Also, I'm British, and I proposed a question on Doctor Who (a popular Saturday evening show on BBC). New actors replace the main character, but when I asked about the most recent (Matt Smith, and yes, the changing of characters is mentioned on the official news channels), it was labeled as only a specific group of people can answer. 80% of the British population have heard of doctor who, and EVERYONE does who watches TV! Not only that, it was extremely easy to google.

It is ridiculous when I get asked about Al Bundy in his AMERICAN sitcom show. I've never been to America, how would I know about that? I answered right, but only because I know how to use google. The game needs more culture in it. And they need GOOD evaluators (why would they let players evaluate when the queue is over 250 quiz questions). They should be promoted, based on their ratio of good questions asked, and good answers answered. Perhaps let it be moderated by the rookie quizmaster by an admin, in a sort of trial period in which they can decide if they are up to the job.

I'd do the job for free, though payment is a good incentive. I know this is a long post, and one which most people won't read, but please take the time to skim read through it!

EDIT: Just read through this again and realised how bad it sounded... I've read through more of the forum since, and I've learnt more about the quiz system and how there are actual developments in place. I think the evaluators do a good job with the equipment they've got and I think that eventually the quiz system will be mastered and make this game one of the best around. Sorry for my rant, I can see what was wrong with the original question anyway!
Oldal: 1234567891011