Felhasználónév: Jelszó:
Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
1681. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 15:05:29 (Válasz Spin #1674 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Spin - 2010.08.07. 03:54:28
How long is a mile?
2 km
1.3 km
1.6 km
1.5 km

Is it possible to get the answers to have US standard units as well for those of us who were taught outside of Europe and Asia.

I don't get it. You want the answer to the question "How long is a mile?" to be "1 mile"? What's the point of that? If the question is "How tall is the Eiffel Tower?" or something, I'm there with you. I think the options should always be presented in both metric and US, so as not to favor any population. I proposed that already and got shot down, so it is what it is.
Pontszám: 5
averageMalystryx
Végzetúr poronty
25 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1682. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 18:08:52
Which game is the world's most-subscribed massively multiplayer online role-playing game of all time?
Ultima Online
EverQuest
RuneScape
World of Warcraft

this question is already in the data base under different wording.

and about the Mile question...

there is such a thing as a land mile (1.6 KM) and a sea mile (1.8 KM)

Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.08.07. 15:05:29
Idézet: Spin - 2010.08.07. 03:54:28
How long is a mile?
2 km
1.3 km
1.6 km
1.5 km

Is it possible to get the answers to have US standard units as well for those of us who were taught outside of Europe and Asia.

I don't get it. You want the answer to the question "How long is a mile?" to be "1 mile"? What's the point of that? If the question is "How tall is the Eiffel Tower?" or something, I'm there with you. I think the options should always be presented in both metric and US, so as not to favor any population. I proposed that already and got shot down, so it is what it is.

/agree little jon

not only is the whole point of the question to test knowledge about the metric and US system, but the question is already in the data base for the US people with the question "how many feet are in a mile."
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1683. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 20:36:56
A hozzászólást D00ml0rd módosította 2010.08.07. 20:52:38-kor
Pontszám: 3
everyone's favoritePerrinAybarra
Végzetúr poronty
12 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1684. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 22:21:35
just had this question AGAIN... it should be erased as the question is formulated WRONG. so the answer will often be wrong because of it since you need to GUESS what the correct question is.

A brick weighs 2kg and half a brick, how much do 2 bricks weigh?
2kg
4kg
8kg***
12kg

again.. what is the phrase "and a half brick" supposed to mean? 1 brick + half a brick? the question should read "2 kg AS a half brick" or "Half a brick weighs 2kg."
Pontszám: 7.50
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1685. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 09:16:33 (Válasz stekkos #1669 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.08.06. 04:23:34
Your comment about who plays this game Viridel its quite out of place, Asian countrys are especially active in doomlord, but even if North America and Europe are the majority, they cannot be taken as the primary source of what is a correct question. Just like it was not the right way to consider Europe in the same way just because it is a Hungarian company running it.

I'm just going by the "where are you from" forum thread. And no, geography doesn't dictate WHAT is a good question, however, it could have an impact on how a question is best ASKED.

For example, if this was a US/Canada only game, it would be Football and Soccer - two different sports... But because there is a large European (amongst other things) user base, our "Football" must be designated as either American Football or the NFL. By the same token, a European asker should likely use the term Soccer to describe their game of Football / Futball, to accommodate Canadian/American users to whom the term "football" would cause confusion. Just one of MANY examples of the same language having different geographical definitions - so that's why it must be remembered that the game is indeed global - with apparently a largely (but not entirely) North American & European population base.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1686. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 09:32:58 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1670 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.08.06. 04:37:09
I have no clue? coming from someone who thinks kicking a ball long or short designates a different form of corner kick lol... Field hockey is the number 2 most popular team sport in the world, just behind football (soccer) You dont have to be smarmy about it all Virindel, i proved your initial statement wrong, cop it on the chin and take the education lesson with some grace lol...

Bzzzz... Wrong. Try Basketball.

As for narrowing down your intial Euro statement to be very country specific and selecting almost arctic countries in Euro where summer last a few weeks at best making field hockey difficult to play is the equivilent of me comparing the numbers in India, Pakistan, Spain and Australia lol, it dont happen cos there is no ice to play on...

And your point is......? You said that in every country in Europe/Canada/US more people play Field Hockey than Ice Hockey... Then you say that because of short summers, some countries play for Ice than Field. So your blanket statement has a few moths. And I don't recall saying anything about India, etc. I just wanted you to acknowledge that you made a foolish statement. Especially about Canada - that was just dumb.

As far as google search, if u didnt realise google use Geo Targeting which means if u search for something in your country you will get different results that the other 99% of the countries int he world where Field hockey will maintain the first 2 million pages before ice hockey pops up:)

Yes, I noticed that on one of my recent searches - tagged google.ca, not .com... My bad. Then again, you said there are more F-Hockey players than Ice Hockey players in Canada & the US... So you still have the biggest blunder here.

"In conclusion, I think that for the purpose of the game, Ice Hockey can be called Ice Hockey, or simply Hockey - while Field Hockey needs that "Field" designation to make it accurate."

Not even the governing body of ice hockey considers itself "simply Hockey" it is the International Ice Hockey Federation where as the governing body of Field Hockey is the International Hockey Federation, there is no need for field to be added, THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND NTH AMERICA

Ok, so when someone posts about "Hockey" - what does that mean?

And just shut up about "long and short corners in soccer". Amongst the answers listed, Soccer was the only sport that actually HAS corner play - therefore was the only viable option... Unless you interpret "Hockey" as Field Hockey. Which, as Stekkos has already ruled, would be the minority opinion. If F-Hockey was one of the listed options, I would have selected it.
Pontszám: 6.33
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1687. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 15:27:15 (Válasz PerrinAybarra #1684 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: PerrinAybarra - 2010.08.07. 22:21:35
just had this question AGAIN... it should be erased as the question is formulated WRONG. so the answer will often be wrong because of it since you need to GUESS what the correct question is.

A brick weighs 2kg and half a brick, how much do 2 bricks weigh?
2kg
4kg
8kg***
12kg

again.. what is the phrase "and a half brick" supposed to mean? 1 brick + half a brick? the question should read "2 kg AS a half brick" or "Half a brick weighs 2kg."

This question has come up here a few times, the question is a simple mathematical equation disguised as a riddle. There is indeed nothing wrong with the formulation of the question. Translated into a formula, the question is:
if X = 2kg + X/2 how much is 2X?
Pontszám: 2.33
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1688. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 16:11:06
Michael Phelps (USA) is regarded as the most successful Olympian of all time. Who is Britain's most successful Olympian of all time?
Matthew Pinsent
Steve Redgrave
Sebastian Coe
Steve Smith

Britain has two with 6 medals each, one of whom has more gold medals than the other, so finding the right one is not that hard, but after the next Olympics, who says the answer will be the same? So this one needs a year.

Another issue is the definition of the most successful Olympian of all time, in some sports there are few medals available while in other there are several. I don't know the answer to this and have no opinion as to what the definition should be.
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1689. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 18:42:00
Which of these countries is not in Asia?
Iran
India
Egypt *
Syria

Well actually Egypt does lie partly in Asia, The Sinai Dessert is not in Africa.

Who is the highest paid sports person for 2010?
David Beckham
Tiger Woods *
Kimi Raikkonen
Kobe Bryant

Uhm 2010 isn't over yet, so this might prove premature, not that I say it will turn out to be wrong.

How many rounds does a team have win to get to the NCAA Basketball championship game?
5 *

From 2011 there is an extra round where 8 teams compete for 4 places, or that's how I understand the description on wikipedia. So next year the answer will be 5-6 rounds.

Where is the line between national sporting events with international interest and purely national events with no interest to players from other countries?
This is a national event for the US, so not many people outside the US is likely to know what it is. Luckily wikipedia has an entry on it. But as far as I know this tournament has no connection to any International sporting event, but it is one of the most prominent sporting events in the US, so to me this is a perfect example of a question that should or should not have been admitted to the database, based on where that lies.
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1690. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 20:15:58
What do yellow roses signify?
Friendship
Love
Hate
Fear

Unfortunately I didn't have time to answer because I was waiting for the forum to load up -.-
I was going to say Friendship, but I think this is ambiguous:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_the_different_colors_of_roses_signify

Yellow signifies: dying love, platonic love, friendship, jealousy, infidelity
Yellow with red tips: Friendship, falling in love

According to one site, but still it's ambiguous I think.
Your very own English Doomlord Encyclopedia!

Have you fought an epic monster recently? Upload the name and HP here!
http://doomlord.wikia.com/epic_monument
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1691. hozzászólás - 2010.08.08. 21:41:24
The Twin of Apollo is?
Artemis

Already in the database kind of... 3 questions before this, I was asked which gods were fraternal twins (Apollo and Artemis was the right answer)

Delete one if they are too similar, I'm not sure how strict you want to be on the duplicate questions.
Your very own English Doomlord Encyclopedia!

Have you fought an epic monster recently? Upload the name and HP here!
http://doomlord.wikia.com/epic_monument
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1692. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 05:12:30 (Válasz Viridel #1686 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.08.08. 09:32:58
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.08.06. 04:37:09
I have no clue? coming from someone who thinks kicking a ball long or short designates a different form of corner kick lol... Field hockey is the number 2 most popular team sport in the world, just behind football (soccer) You dont have to be smarmy about it all Virindel, i proved your initial statement wrong, cop it on the chin and take the education lesson with some grace lol...

Bzzzz... Wrong. Try Basketball.

Well i guess its open to interpretation, ive done some research and cricket also comes up as 2nd most popular, the only list i could find that puts basketball at 2 is one that puts volleyball at 1 lol

As for narrowing down your intial Euro statement to be very country specific and selecting almost arctic countries in Euro where summer last a few weeks at best making field hockey difficult to play is the equivilent of me comparing the numbers in India, Pakistan, Spain and Australia lol, it dont happen cos there is no ice to play on...

And your point is......? You said that in every country in Europe/Canada/US more people play Field Hockey than Ice Hockey... Then you say that because of short summers, some countries play for Ice than Field. So your blanket statement has a few moths. And I don't recall saying anything about India, etc. I just wanted you to acknowledge that you made a foolish statement. Especially about Canada - that was just dumb.

I didnt actually say anything of the kind lol, take the blinkers off and read again, i said i would be very surprised if field hockey wasnt mor popular than ice hockey, guess what? i was very suprised lo, i wasnt wrong in my statement tho... just suprised:)

When your going to talk about blanket statements just make sure u understand what your putting a blanket over and maybe try placing it on yourslf first:)

As far as google search, if u didnt realise google use Geo Targeting which means if u search for something in your country you will get different results that the other 99% of the countries int he world where Field hockey will maintain the first 2 million pages before ice hockey pops up:)

Yes, I noticed that on one of my recent searches - tagged google.ca, not .com... My bad. Then again, you said there are more F-Hockey players than Ice Hockey players in Canada & the US... So you still have the biggest blunder here.

Read above lol, YOU are saying thats what i said, read what i said and you will see i said nothing of the sort:) your bad your blunder:) Your Canadian tho so I wont hold it against you I lived in Canada for a few years and its one of my fav countries in the world.

"In conclusion, I think that for the purpose of the game, Ice Hockey can be called Ice Hockey, or simply Hockey - while Field Hockey needs that "Field" designation to make it accurate."

Not even the governing body of ice hockey considers itself "simply Hockey" it is the International Ice Hockey Federation where as the governing body of Field Hockey is the International Hockey Federation, there is no need for field to be added, THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND NTH AMERICA

Ok, so when someone posts about "Hockey" - what does that mean? it means field hockey, if some one wants to talk about ice hockey then they would say ice hockey, that IS the most accurate description sorry to say.

And just shut up about "long and short corners in soccer". Amongst the answers listed, Soccer was the only sport that actually HAS corner play - therefore was the only viable option... Unless you interpret "Hockey" as Field Hockey. Which, as Stekkos has already ruled, would be the minority opinion. If F-Hockey was one of the listed options, I would have selected it.

Hockey also has corner play:) Ice hockey might not but hockey does:) Email ice hockey federation and ask them what the difference between hockey and ice hockey is i bet they can tell u real quick and they wont need a field in front to understand:) Stekkos is also wrong lol, but never the less if you go back and read my original post u will see i suggest a field be put in front of hockey to designate the differnce for you guys that live in bubbles lol:)

Lesson learnt?
A hozzászólást D00ml0rd módosította 2010.08.09. 05:16:57-kor
averageImmortalityFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
2 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1693. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 15:37:56
Could u help me out. I was said this following has spelling mistakes
What is the name of the dwarf planet that comes after Haumea?

Pluto
Makemake
Eris
None of the above

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

But according to the wikipedia it does not. I have taken the question and answer from there.
likeddark22Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
247 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1694. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 15:53:37
What form did fire form after merry and pippin lite it in LOTR. (will edit with exact question when I run into it again).

As this is first time I run into this question I'll assume that it is fairly new. I watched lord of the ring at least 2 times (every movie from series), and I really don't even have slightest idea on what part of the movie this is related to, not to mention what form did the fire form.
Few pages back on one of the quizz forum section stekkos made a good point about asking this kind of questions using ( lol) LOTR type of question to explain. In short if you have to watch the movie again and search for the answer of the movie related question , it is bad question, and then I get this question?
I don't mind googling every other historical on geog question, but I d like a fair shot on answering at least movie question about movie I saw twice without using google.
Thnks
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1695. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 16:00:57 (Válasz Immortality #1693 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Immortality - 2010.08.09. 15:37:56
Could u help me out. I was said this following has spelling mistakes
What is the name of the dwarf planet that comes after Haumea?

Pluto
Makemake
Eris
None of the above

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
Spelling mistakes in question or answers.

But according to the wikipedia it does not. I have taken the question and answer from there.

"None of the above" is not accepted as a possible answer.
Pontszám: 6
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1696. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 16:24:57
Which of the following fiction hero is not human?
Beowulf
White Fang <- marked as correct
Wolf Larsen
Count Dracula

Are vampires human? most would say no, so I think Dracula should be replaced by some other character.
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1697. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 19:24:47 (Válasz dark22 #1694 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: dark22 - 2010.08.09. 15:53:37
What form did fire form after merry and pippin lite it in LOTR. (will edit with exact question when I run into it again).

As this is first time I run into this question I'll assume that it is fairly new. I watched lord of the ring at least 2 times (every movie from series), and I really don't even have slightest idea on what part of the movie this is related to, not to mention what form did the fire form.
Few pages back on one of the quizz forum section stekkos made a good point about asking this kind of questions using ( lol) LOTR type of question to explain. In short if you have to watch the movie again and search for the answer of the movie related question , it is bad question, and then I get this question?
I don't mind googling every other historical on geog question, but I d like a fair shot on answering at least movie question about movie I saw twice without using google.
Thnks

Well in the book, Merry and Pipin didn't light any fireworks, that was Gandalf, in the film they do however light a lot of it, one of the rockets takes the form of a dragon.

But I do agree that this question should not have been included in the database, as it is specialist knowledge (yes I'm a LotR nerd, I could tell you quite a few other useless facts from the movies and the books)
Pontszám: 7
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1698. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 19:33:07 (Válasz MartinBV #1689 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: MartinBV - 2010.08.08. 18:42:00
How many rounds does a team have win to get to the NCAA Basketball championship game?
5 *

From 2011 there is an extra round where 8 teams compete for 4 places, or that's how I understand the description on wikipedia. So next year the answer will be 5-6 rounds.

Where is the line between national sporting events with international interest and purely national events with no interest to players from other countries?
This is a national event for the US, so not many people outside the US is likely to know what it is. Luckily wikipedia has an entry on it. But as far as I know this tournament has no connection to any International sporting event, but it is one of the most prominent sporting events in the US, so to me this is a perfect example of a question that should or should not have been admitted to the database, based on where that lies.

I agree with this completely. And actually, right now, there is still a play-in game between the 64th and 65th seed, so the answer has been 5 or 6 for quite a while. If the question was phrased "From the Round of 64, how many blah, blah, blah?", then this would be a Sports -or- Math question, since you wouldn't need to follow the NCAA to do a rudimentary halving system and get the answer that way. As it is though, the Q should be kicked.
A hozzászólást Viridel módosította 2010.08.09. 19:33:39-kor
Pontszám: 6
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1699. hozzászólás - 2010.08.09. 19:52:10 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1692 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.08.09. 05:12:30
Hockey also has corner play:) Ice hockey might not but hockey does:) Email ice hockey federation and ask them what the difference between hockey and ice hockey is i bet they can tell u real quick and they wont need a field in front to understand:) Stekkos is also wrong lol, but never the less if you go back and read my original post u will see i suggest a field be put in front of hockey to designate the differnce for you guys that live in bubbles lol:)

Lesson learnt?

There's no lesson to be learned here, except that yours is the minority opinion.

I agree that Ice Hockey and Field Hockey should both be defined as such. But in the failure of that, Ice is clearly the default.
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1700. hozzászólás - 2010.08.10. 09:52:53
Well, fun as it has been, the hockey debate has run its course, surely?

For the record: Field Hockey has been around in various forms for centuries, unlike its icy counterpart which is a relatively recent creation. That alone is enough to suggest that the original sport is called 'hockey' while its new spin-off should need extra help to identify it, hence 'ice' hockey.

The Olympics have had Hockey since 1908. The Winter Olympics (see how the word 'Winter' is added to make the distinction?) has only had Ice Hockey since 1924. Indeed, look at the official Olympics website and they refer to the two sports as 'Hockey' and 'Ice Hockey'. No need for the word 'Field'.

(Just a slightly wicked thought: If names being added mean so much/so little can we ask that the USA formally renounces the US part or the A part? It is confusing to the rest of the world trying to find out who you are. Are you the USA, the US or America? Sort that out first before you start reorganising the hockey world!)

And finally, minority does not mean incorrect. That really is a basic American error! (cf. Galileo vs. The Church etc etc etc)
A hozzászólást FriendlyCheese módosította 2010.08.10. 09:54:39-kor
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!