Felhasználónév: Jelszó:
Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
1661. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 15:03:55 (Válasz FriendlyCheese #1660 hozzászólására.)
Should specify US gallon, 3.785 can pass for an answer of 4 since it does not ask the exact number
Pontszám: 5
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1662. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 17:32:16
How long is the river Amur?
4444 km
2154 km
3899 km
5258 km

First, how did this possibly pass the specialized knowledge test? Second, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amur_River, the answer is 2824 km.
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1663. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 18:01:39 (Válasz ImLittleJon #1654 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.08.04. 17:04:44
Which is the smallest prime number?

When I was in school, 1 was a prime number. Now, it's not. It's like asking whether Pluto is a planet or not. If the definitions are changing, it's not a good quiz question.

Not only that, but it turns out it's a duplicate.

Which is not a prime number?

If you're going to have a question about this subject, this is a much better form. At least here, you can get the correct answer by eliminating the others, making it much less ambiguous.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1664. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 19:06:57 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1658 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.08.05. 05:16:42
they have short and long corners in soccor? dont think so.

From a Corner Kick, the kick can go Long (into the box) or Short.

in Field hockey they do, long corner is taken from the corner position of backline and sideline and a short corner is taken on the backline but only a few yards away from the goal box.

Fair enough - FIELD hockey is the better example.

ice hockey is only played in a couple of countries, field hockey is a world wide sport:)

good question allbeit maybe the hockey could be changed to field hockey.

Keep in mind who plays THIS game - North America & Europe - Ice Hockey is the far more "popular" sport.
A hozzászólást Viridel módosította 2010.08.05. 20:11:49-kor
much likedHempImpNő
Végzetúr poronty
17 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1665. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 19:09:01
Who won the F1 season in 2005?

Fernando Alonso
Michael Schumaher
Kimi Räikkönen
Lewis Hamilton

I think this is a question requiring special knowledge. To me, F1 is a key on my computer keyboard, I have no idea what this. I assume it's a sport because of the word 'won' but have no idea what kind or what country...
Pontszám: 3.50
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1666. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 22:12:33 (Válasz Viridel #1664 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.08.05. 19:06:57

in Field hockey they do, long corner is taken from the corner position of backline and sideline and a short corner is taken on the backline but only a few yards away from the goal box.

ice hockey is only played in a couple of countries, field hockey is a world wide sport:)

Keep in mind who plays THIS game - North America & Europe - Ice Hockey is the far more "popular" sport.

Agree in soccer they can kick long or short but its still just a corner, the long and short kick is only a strategy not a rule of the game, in field hockey a long corner would be given for similar reasons as a corner in soccer but a short corner is the equiv of a penalty kick from outside the box in soccer and both games have the same penalty shot from inside one on one for infractions within the goal area.

I didnt write the question but i understand where the "centre of the universe" is hence stating the question could be altered to specify field hockey, however, Euro countries dominate the world rankings, Canada is a very respectable 11th and even USA is 21st out of a total 73 ranked countries in the mens rankings, similar story in womens with Euro dominating the top 10 however USA is ranked 10th and Canada 19th.

I would be very surprised if either Euro, Canada or USA had more ice hockey players than field hockey players, despite the publicity around ice hockey, the only reason yu guys think ice hockey first is its a professional sport and therefore the publicity machine makes money by keeping it in the headlines. That does not mean that Ice Hockey is the more "popular" sport.

"Keep in mind who plays THIS game " you keep it in mind, this game has no country restrictions so it is blessed with people from many countries, the world DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND NTH AMERICA and nor should this game.

A hozzászólást D00ml0rd módosította 2010.08.05. 22:52:39-kor
Pontszám: 3
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1667. hozzászólás - 2010.08.05. 22:27:06 (Válasz HempImp #1665 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: HempImp - 2010.08.05. 19:09:01
Who won the F1 season in 2005?

Fernando Alonso
Michael Schumaher
Kimi Räikkönen
Lewis Hamilton

I think this is a question requiring special knowledge. To me, F1 is a key on my computer keyboard, I have no idea what this. I assume it's a sport because of the word 'won' but have no idea what kind or what country...

a simple google of F1 or any of those names would bring up Forumla 1 car racing, the pinnacle of all car racing. Its a world wide sport, most popular car racing event in the world, one where drivers get paid 10s of millions of dollars to drive each year and teams spend 100s of millions every year developing the cars.

Indy and Nascar are very poor relations when it comes to F1:) The world does not revovlve around Nth America, a question is not bad just because someone in America hasnt heard of it lol...

this is a game open to people from every country.
A hozzászólást D00ml0rd módosította 2010.08.05. 22:27:39-kor
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1668. hozzászólás - 2010.08.06. 02:00:42 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1666 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.08.05. 22:12:33

Agree in soccer they can kick long or short but its still just a corner, the long and short kick is only a strategy not a rule of the game, in field hockey a long corner would be given for similar reasons as a corner in soccer but a short corner is the equiv of a penalty kick from outside the box in soccer and both games have the same penalty shot from inside one on one for infractions within the goal area.

I'll agree that soccer isn't the best option amongst all possible sports, but amongst the ones listed (soccer, [unspecified] hockey, basketball, and tennis[?]), it could be said that it is the most viable option. This is depending if you think Field or Ice first.

I didnt write the question but i understand where the "centre of the universe" is hence stating the question could be altered to specify field hockey, however, Euro countries dominate the world rankings, Canada is a very respectable 11th and even USA is 21st out of a total 73 ranked countries in the mens rankings, similar story in womens with Euro dominating the top 10 however USA is ranked 10th and Canada 19th.

I would be very surprised if either Euro, Canada or USA had more ice hockey players than field hockey players, despite the publicity around ice hockey, the only reason you guys think ice hockey first is its a professional sport and therefore the publicity machine makes money by keeping it in the headlines. That does not mean that Ice Hockey is the more "popular" sport.

"Keep in mind who plays THIS game " you keep it in mind, this game has no country restrictions so it is blessed with people from many countries, the world DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND NTH AMERICA and nor should this game.

Ok, well, your suggestion that Field Hockey has more players than Ice Hockey in North America - I'm sorry - is utterly laughable. Flat, completely, and dead wrong. Especially Canada - you obviously have NO clue. But fine, moving on.

I would also like to see the number of registered F-Hockey players vs Ice Hockey in Scandinavia, Russia and the Baltic countries. I will concede everything south of the Baltic and west of the former Soviet republics, if you give me the rest of Europe and Canada/US - although I may fight you for Germany.

As for World Rankings - those don't *necessarily* dictate the popularity of a sport in a particular region. Canada went to the 2008 Olympics in Water Polo (ranked 11th), but our soccer team sucks. Do you think that means Water Polo is more popular than soccer here???

Lastly, when you do a Google search for "Hockey", 9 of the first 10 listings are Ice Hockey specific - the 10th being a sub-listing, indicating that there are a "family of sports called hockey". So, the "center of the universe" (aka - Google) clearly indicates that Ice Hockey is the primary... And if you took a random poll, I would guess that you would have more people saying "they play hockey on grass???" than knowing what a short & long corner were.

In conclusion, I think that for the purpose of the game, Ice Hockey can be called Ice Hockey, or simply Hockey - while Field Hockey needs that "Field" designation to make it accurate.
Pontszám: 7.50
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1669. hozzászólás - 2010.08.06. 04:23:34
In conclusion:

When referring to racing F1 is formula 1 without the need of further explanation. Also Hockey its ice hockey, i had no idea there was a game called field hockey. Note that i live in a country that neither is played so its not a matter of what i am used to. Its a matter of what is more widely known.

Your comment about who plays this game Viridel its quite out of place, Asian countrys are especially active in doomlord, but even if North America and Europe are the majority, they cannot be taken as the primary source of what is a correct question. Just like it was not the right way to consider Europe in the same way just because it is a Hungarian company running it.
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1670. hozzászólás - 2010.08.06. 04:37:09 (Válasz Viridel #1668 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.08.06. 02:00:42
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2010.08.05. 22:12:33

I'll agree that soccer isn't the best option amongst all possible sports, but amongst the ones listed (soccer, [unspecified] hockey, basketball, and tennis[?]), it could be said that it is the most viable option. This is depending if you think Field or Ice first.

I would be very surprised if either Euro, Canada or USA had more ice hockey players than field hockey players, despite the publicity around ice hockey, the only reason you guys think ice hockey first is its a professional sport and therefore the publicity machine makes money by keeping it in the headlines. That does not mean that Ice Hockey is the more "popular" sport.

Ok, well, your suggestion that Field Hockey has more players than Ice Hockey in North America - I'm sorry - is utterly laughable. Flat, completely, and dead wrong. Especially Canada - you obviously have NO clue. But fine, moving on.

I would also like to see the number of registered F-Hockey players vs Ice Hockey in Scandinavia, Russia and the Baltic countries. I will concede everything south of the Baltic and west of the former Soviet republics, if you give me the rest of Europe and Canada/US - although I may fight you for Germany.

As for World Rankings - those don't *necessarily* dictate the popularity of a sport in a particular region. Canada went to the 2008 Olympics in Water Polo (ranked 11th), but our soccer team sucks. Do you think that means Water Polo is more popular than soccer here???

Lastly, when you do a Google search for "Hockey", 9 of the first 10 listings are Ice Hockey specific - the 10th being a sub-listing, indicating that there are a "family of sports called hockey". So, the "center of the universe" (aka - Google) clearly indicates that Ice Hockey is the primary... And if you took a random poll, I would guess that you would have more people saying "they play hockey on grass???" than knowing what a short & long corner were.

In conclusion, I think that for the purpose of the game, Ice Hockey can be called Ice Hockey, or simply Hockey - while Field Hockey needs that "Field" designation to make it accurate.

I have no clue? coming from someone who thinks kicking a ball long or short designates a different form of corner kick lol... Field hockey is the number 2 most popular team sport in the world, just behind football (soccer) You dont have to be smarmy about it all Virindel, i proved your initial statement wrong, cop it on the chin and take the education lesson with some grace lol...

As for narrowing down your intial Euro statement to be very country specific and selecting almost arctic countries in Euro where summer last a few weeks at best making field hockey difficult to play is the equivilent of me comparing the numbers in India, Pakistan, Spain and Australia lol, it dont happen cos there is no ice to play on...

As far as google search, if u didnt realise google use Geo Targeting which means if u search for something in your country you will get different results that the other 99% of the countries int he world where Field hockey will maintain the first 2 million pages before ice hockey pops up:)

"In conclusion, I think that for the purpose of the game, Ice Hockey can be called Ice Hockey, or simply Hockey - while Field Hockey needs that "Field" designation to make it accurate."

Not even the governing body of ice hockey considers itself "simply Hockey" it is the International Ice Hockey Federation where as the governing body of Field Hockey is the International Hockey Federation, there is no need for field to be added, THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND NTH AMERICA

lesson over:)
A hozzászólást D00ml0rd módosította 2010.08.06. 05:12:44-kor
Pontszám: 5.33
likedValkyrieFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
474 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1671. hozzászólás - 2010.08.06. 10:52:38
What where the names of the Sith lords in the award wining game Knights of the old Republic?
Darth Sion and Darth Traya
Darth Vader and Darth Sidious
Darth Revan and Darth Malek
Darth Bane and Darth Zannah

???

give me a break...
Inter urinas et faeces homo nascitur
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1672. hozzászólás - 2010.08.06. 13:45:27
Which is the second biggest city in Bulgaria?

Get rid of? I read somewhere in a list of things for evaluators to filter out was the second best things... Classes as uninteresting lexical knowledge, surely.

As for hockey, wouldn't it be easier to just put either 'field' or 'ice' or any other branch in front of hockey when it comes up in a question? Otherwise mark it as ambiguous?

I think field hockey is more well known anyway. In definitely came before ice hockey and official rules were drawn up in England 1850ish whereas ice hockey 1885 in Canada by some bored Brits.
A hozzászólást Phalanxii módosította 2010.08.06. 13:54:38-kor
Your very own English Doomlord Encyclopedia!

Have you fought an epic monster recently? Upload the name and HP here!
http://doomlord.wikia.com/epic_monument
everyone's favoritePerrinAybarra
Végzetúr poronty
12 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1673. hozzászólás - 2010.08.06. 22:09:08
"What movie series was Darth Vadar in?"

Darth VadEr is spelled wrong.....
much likedSpin
Végzetúr poronty
83 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1674. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 03:54:28
How long is a mile?
2 km
1.3 km
1.6 km
1.5 km

Is it possible to get the answers to have US standard units as well for those of us who were taught outside of Europe and Asia.
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1675. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 04:24:13
how hard is it to put a search in google "mile km" and see the answer

why does everything have to be ciustomised for americans?

what makes you so special that everyone outside of america has to adjust to suit your limited schooling.

get real
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1676. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 05:47:23 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1675 hozzászólására.)
Doomlord, stop "attacking" America!
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1677. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 06:05:47
im not attacking America
im defending the rest of the world
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1678. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 06:18:35 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1677 hozzászólására.)
Well the rest of the world appreciates your effort.

Still you do not need to defent that strongly since everyone has the right to express their opinion (like Spin did). It does not mean that if noone contradicts him his sugestion will pass.
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1679. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 06:25:10
ok i will chill out:)

sorry

much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1680. hozzászólás - 2010.08.07. 09:05:19 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1679 hozzászólására.)
Thank you
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!