Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - ImLittleJon

Dátum: 2011.03.07. 20:06:19
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2011.03.07. 16:56:07
I don't know what happened to the quiz olympics (did you stop it because it was too easy to google answers?)

No, it was stopped due to people cheating. A bunch of people were using a script during their normal quizzes which sent in the questions and answers into a big database. Then, during the olympics, their script could just look up the answers in the database, so it would automatically mark the correct answer for them, unless nobody had ever gotten that question before. A long time ago, I posted an approach that I think would solve the issue without too much programming - the key being that instead of displaying text for the questions and answers, you would generate images with unique urls.

Idézet: Phalanxii - 2011.03.07. 16:56:07
or the quiz categorization

Last I heard, those were just held up by a minor bug or something. I thought they would be launched a long time ago. Kethios, any news on that front?
Dátum: 2011.03.04. 22:15:29
Yeah, but malaria:

Kingdom: Protista
Phylum: Apicomplexa
Class: Aconoidasida
Order: Haemosporida
Family: Plasmodiidae
Genus: Plasmodium
Species: P. malariae
Dátum: 2011.03.01. 20:14:33
OK. I just went through every post in this thread and picked out what I think are the best suggestions that haven't been either implemented yet or officially shot down.

Repeat suggestions:
- ability to PM multiple players. See posts 19,81,93,123,124,237,337. Effort: Low.

- in-game chat. See posts 68,92,93,169,223. Post 230 says it's on the todo list, but we haven't heard anything since. Effort: Medium (search for "open source php chat" shows a gazillion options)

- ability to see duel targets while resting. See posts 314-316,319. Effort: Trivial.

- edit clan forum post. See posts 148-153. Effort: Low.

Epic discussions:
- fix clan wars. See posts 161-163,167-168,181. Effort: unknown, needs discussion.

My favorite minor tweaks:
- auction closing times are not convenient for all time zones. Posts 47,237,238. I propose three possible solutions. 1) instead of waiting 120 hours between auctions, wait 121. 2) wait 108 hours + random(0..24). 3) assign a time of day for each major slot, so 1 ends at 0:00, the next at 6:00, etc.

- better coordination of clan building. Post 118. Post 222 says this is on the todo list, but nothing further.

- remove default radio button for building from personal SE. Posts 441-445

Other minor tweaks:
- delete inactive accounts. Posts 41, 419
- ability to equip no weapon at all. Post 41
- awardable medals. Posts 84,115
- a la carte premium options. Posts 114,397
- challenge championship. Post 145
- make secondary attack/spell optional. Posts 164-166
- higher level catacombs. Post 187
- show what type of item the entity rewards are (ring, necklace, etc.). Post 254
- call all pets to fight/rest/exercise/heal. Posts 348,430
- some display for time remaining to fight infection. Post 348
- notice when new auction items arrive. Post 348
- notification if overbid in treasury. Post 406
- ability to interrupt pet exercise. Post 434
- save up mana construction points. Post 438
- display focus crystals by what they go in. Post 440
Dátum: 2011.03.01. 16:37:42
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.03.01. 07:31:36
Well, there IS a way to credit back a question to a player if it is proved that his/her perfect question was rejected! The exact same way if you have any other complaint / need for correction - write an email to the GM! She have the permission for this like for many other things. Also, our head quiz admin, Hatsepsut, has this privilege as well, you can contact her directly, or any evaluator can forward her such a request (and I know she does it when necessary).

Great! That's good to know.

It is unfortunate that you don't read the forums

Surely you feel this is a contradiction as we are talking here right now

True, I could have been more precise: It is fortunate that you are reading the forums at the moment, but unfortunate that you don't have time to read all the past posts.

But as I said, collecting and forwarding ideas from the forum is the primary job of Kethios, I can't read all the posts. So if you think he is slacking, start chewing on him

Oh, we chew on him plenty, believe me. My job involves moderating social media, so I can say that this setup is absolutely typical. The people who can make decisions about the product don't have time to read all the posts. But there need to be procedures in place so that the loop gets closed, which too often doesn't happen here. There are a number of possible points of failure in the loop:
- Kethios could be busy and not read the post
- Kethios could fail to forward it on to you
- You could fail to respond to Kethios
- Kethios could fail to forward your response on to us

Sometimes, all that happens, and then we're happy. Even if the response is "that's just too hard to implement". But most of the time, we make a suggestion, and either there's no response, or the only response is Kethios saying he will forward it on, and then we never hear anything more back. Ideally, every post in the suggestion thread should have a response. That thread has been up just over a year, and it has a total of 450 posts. There's a lot of discussion there, so there's probably only about 100 actual suggestions or so, which is less than 10 per month.
Dátum: 2011.02.28. 18:04:31
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.02.26. 14:23:16
Do not think that this is the system we implemented right at the start (on the original servers) and it didn't change since. It changed a lot.... <snip> At the end, we realized that the result will be much more efficient, if we choose only a very few, but very intelligent, skilled and devoted people who do this right.

It is unfortunate that you don't read the forums, as that all has been discussed, and some of the suggestions were proposed with that history in mind. The one that I think would be most useful would be to add some kind of appeals process. That shouldn't add much workload for the evaluators, as it would only come up for questions that got rejected, and the author felt strongly that it was a good question. The process could even be to come post in a thread here on the forums, but for this idea to work, there needs to be a way for stekkos or one of the other evaluators to manually credit someone with extra questions as compensation for having a question wrongly rejected.

Same stands for writing an explanation for rejecting. And not only it would be a lot more work - then we would have to provide a kind of "customer service" line where people could argue about the explanation? It wouldn't make anything easier. 98% of the time whenever a question gets rejected, the reason is plain obvious from the automatic response and quiz rules, and even when it's not, people would just argue with the explanation as well.

Stekkos and CG are already coming to the forums to post their explanation every time they reject a question. Adding that as a feature in-game would actually save work on their part. Likewise, there is already a "customer service" line...these forums. The only thing missing, as mentioned above, is some mechanism for handling the rare case when a good question got rejected.

And check it out - there are a lot of players, who have hundreds of accepted questions, and only a few rejected. So the system works.

As you say in another thread, you never said the system is perfect. But your attitude is clearly that the system is good enough that there is no point in spending any time improving it.
Dátum: 2011.02.28. 17:36:18
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.02.28. 04:43:01
About the radioactivity, if that is true then is not a specialized question, it is actually a good one. It would be nice if another player comments on that though.

It's vaguely familiar from my nuclear physics class in college. I was under the impression that the guideline stated up through high school for academic questions, though. Perhaps if Googlability got factored in....
Dátum: 2011.02.25. 14:51:25
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.02.25. 13:17:51
You questions is, why we do not implement Viridiel's suggestions on the quiz evaluation system.

Viridel is not the only person who has made suggestions.

Well, most of these suggestion are unnecessary complications

OK. If most of them are unnecessary, how about commenting on the others?

This is the system, these are the rules.

In other words, the way it is now is perfect and can't be improved, so why should we have any discussion about ways to improve it?

Asking admins to accept wrong questions and correct them instead of rejecting them is the same impossible like writing detailed explanation.

First, we should be careful about terminology. As far as I know, there is currently 1 admin and 4 evaluators. The evaluators are the ones who are responsible for doing the accepting and rejecting of questions, so I think the suggestion would be for the evaluators to do the correcting as well. If the only objection to that is workload on the evaluators, that's easy to solve by expanding the pool of evaluators. There are plenty more volunteers. But that's just one minor suggestion. If we do have a conversation about how to improve the quiz system, it would be far down my list.
Dátum: 2011.02.24. 14:55:36
Idézet: Sbart - 2011.02.24. 14:12:09
Not really a bug, but anyway. When you defeat 15/30/45 etc Entities you get a lit of Items you can get (or buy for 10 ducats actually). This list has the name and the stats of the items, but not the type (Ring, Necklace). Could this be added?

Agreed. But in the meantime, that info is available at http://doomlord.wikidot.com/epicitem.
Dátum: 2011.02.22. 14:36:39
Idézet: Dolp13 - 2011.02.22. 11:31:25
I do not usually post on here about incorrect questions, but I just recently got:
Which one of these is Swahili?
Garment-German
Weapon-Middle English
Animal-Latin
Language-Which comes from the Latin word Lingua meaning tongue/language. This was the one marked correct. Can we change this? I understand that the word for Language in Swahili is Lugha, but I don't think that it would have evolved through the Latin to this point.

I think you have the intent of the question backwards. What they must have meant is: is Swahili a garment, a weapon, an animal, or a language?

Idézet: Dolp13 - 2011.02.22. 11:31:25
And can someone work out the math on the question:
In 2 years I will be twice as old as I was 5 years ago.
12 is marked as correct. I keep getting 7 as my answer. I am a Latin teacher not a math teacher so I must be setting, this problem up wrong.

(x + 2) = 2 (x - 5)
x + 2 = 2x - 10 --- here's your mistake. you did 2x - 5, forgetting to multiply the two on both numbers
2 = x - 10
12 = x
Dátum: 2011.02.11. 20:18:52
Idézet: LydonB - 2011.02.11. 19:25:00
It's obvious that it isn't? 100k for a level 90 player is less than peanuts, whilst 100k for a level 1-5 player is massive.

Yes, but your units are SE. Mine were build points. I believe the amount of SE it takes per build varies by level. I'm level 48, and 100k SE translates into about 1500 build points at 40 per build. Presumably, a level 90 character would get a lot fewer build points for their 100k, while a lower level would get more (assuming they were high enough level to have a noticeable build skill).

So, to give a concrete example, let's assume that the level 45 and 55 queens on W3 have been imprisoned and killed. Then, I'll be assigned to the level 35 queen. I expect that my SE per build will stay the same (if that varies, that's another way that our progress might accelerate). But what I don't know is if my build points will translate to a different percentage of the prison, given that there are a different number of active players in that level bracket.
Dátum: 2011.02.11. 18:24:07
Back of the envelope, it looks like at the current pace, W2 will finish off 5 of the 7 queens. But that rests on an assumption that may not be valid - that it takes the same number of build points to imprison each queen on a given world. If each queen has a different threshold based on the number active players at its level, that might mean the highest and lowest levels might be easier to imprison. What I'd really like to know is the exact threshold for each queen on W2, but failing that, Miklos, can you tell us whether each queen's threshold is the same or not?
Dátum: 2011.02.10. 19:26:18
Idézet: Charon - 2011.02.10. 12:57:41
Anyway, i saw that the killed queens regerate at over 9%, no matter the % of Thaumaturgical prisons built. Perhaps in the next event of this kind the developer of the game will consider how much of the Thaumaturgical prison for the kiiled Queen is built and corelate it with the % of health that the queen regenerates.

I'd prefer it go the other direction. Every time we kill a regenerated queen, I'd like to see a small increase in the percentage built of the prison, reflecting that the regenerated queen comes back a little weaker and is easier to imprison.
Dátum: 2011.02.09. 17:57:05
Idézet: V3nG3nC3X - 2011.02.09. 10:38:02
Where in the hell did that come from, the whole AM/PM thing?

That was from a different, unrelated thread. I just was too lazy to go back and make a whole separate post in the correct thread.

Idézet: V3nG3nC3X - 2011.02.09. 10:38:02
My question got rejected after I included your suggestion but this time because only a specialized group would know or possibly care that 26% of the world can't read or write.

See http://forum.doomlord.net/index.php/topic,77.520#hsz523.
Dátum: 2011.02.08. 23:04:42
Idézet: V3nG3nC3X - 2011.02.08. 21:48:15
Hey did anyone catch that the answer to this Q is misspelled?

Which surface has only one side?
Moebius strip <----------Did you mean: Mobius strip (according to google)

It's a transliteration issue. The real spelling is Möbius. Since English doesn't have umlauts, that can be transliterated as either Mobius or Moebius, and both are considered correct. Mobius is certainly the more common one, though.

P.S. On the whole noon/midnight thing, every piece of software I've seen that can display time in the 12-hour format with am/pm follows the American standard of noon = 12 pm, midnight = 12 am. We've got Silicon Valley, and you don't, so we win!
Dátum: 2011.02.08. 16:25:58
Idézet: MartinBV - 2011.02.08. 15:01:48
What time of day is considered "midnight"?
4:00 am
5:00 pm
12:00 am <- marked as correct
12:00 pm

This is not correct 12 Midnight is considered midnight, there is no such thing as 12 am of 12 pm, this question has been reported before, but apparently someone still considers it a good question, if so please give reference to any reliable source why this should be the case.

I have found both 12 am and pm as midnight on the web, and all reliable sources I have found states that using 12 am or pm to signify either noon or midnight is ambiguous.

At least in the US, schoolkids are taught that 12 am is midnight, and 12 pm is noon. For us, this is the hard and fast rule, and it is not ambiguous at all. Since this is an international game, though, the question should at least specify the country.
Dátum: 2011.02.08. 16:19:46
Idézet: V3nG3nC3X - 2011.02.08. 14:09:20
When "googled" the answer is on the very first link listed, can you explain to me the ambiguity of this question so I may better understand how you, the evaluator or evaluators, come to this conclusion? Thank you.

~Vx~

According to UNESCO, what percentage of the world's adult population is illiterate?

26%
12%
4%
67%

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators your question is ambiguous.

At a minimum, you need a year, as the answer could change over time.
Dátum: 2011.02.07. 23:05:27
Idézet: Miklos - 2011.02.07. 20:39:11
This is only the 3rd day of the event, so you shouldn't worry about not being able to win it... If you could build the prisons in 3 days and the event would end in 3 days everyone would be sad.

3 days is enough to get some sense of our velocity, and right now, it looks like the killing part will be accomplished easily, but the building part will likely fall short. I expect a lot of people will stop building at all once they achieve 1600 builds, so the building velocity will slow with time, if anything.

LydonB: about the prizes, people calculated that the focus crystals or the quest bonus might be like 3-4000 SE per day for a lvl 60-80 char. If you think that is not good enough, alongside with your pets gaining like 40 levels during the event, you might still choose not to participate. We did our best to give satisfying returns, but players always have the freedom of choice.

Although some people are complaining about the fight rewards (you can't please all the people all the time...), I think the main complaints are on the building side of things. At least in the case of a hunter, there's no cost to fighting with AP, and in fact, there are a number of benefits compared to normal hunting, like pet XP. But the building involves actual sacrifice, in the form of SE or lack of clan building. My prediction is that when the event is over, only a few players will be over 1600 builds, whereas nearly all the active players will be over 400 victories.

TAnd do not envy the Hun servers for starting earlier: you only win by getting a more thoroughly tested event.

Amen!
Dátum: 2011.02.01. 23:09:21
Idézet: baggybag - 2011.02.01. 18:20:33
i absolutely agree. no end game is also important for me. otherwise i will not spend 9 months to get to a point, what is the point in that?

My best answer to that question has to come in the form of a story.

Once upon a time, there was a game with no end. It was a good game, and in the beginning, everyone was happy. As new players found the game, however, they were unhappy. They saw how powerful were the players who had been there longer, and they knew they could never compete. So the admins looked down from on high, and they said unto the masses, "We will launch a new world." And they did. Then, all the newer players moved to the new world, where they could start on an even footing, and for a while, everyone was happy again. But then the cycle repeated, and a third world was opened, then a fourth, then a fifth. Meanwhile, on the older worlds, players gradually dropped out, as they got bored, had kids, changed jobs, and so forth. No new players could replace them, and slowly the game felt more and more dead, leading to more players dropping out. Until one day, someone said, "Hey guys, I found this new game, let's all go there."

In my experience, that is the end game for all games without a built in end game. It's just a question of how long it takes before the death spiral kicks in. If, on the other hand, there is some defined limit, after which the whole world starts over, you might lose some players at reset time, but that would be more than made up for by the newer players you'd keep because they knew they'd have an opportunity to compete to be one of the leaders, or to try a new strategy.
Dátum: 2011.01.29. 04:54:09
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2011.01.29. 02:40:40
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2011.01.29. 01:51:13
The Bat Symbol offers Drain Soul +5%.
The Bloodsucker offers 10% bonus SE for winning a duel.
What exactly is "Drain Soul"? How does it differ from the "% from winning a duel"?

Cruel.

"Drain Soul" is the amount taken with a successful hit each combat round.
"% from winning a duel" is the percentage to what you win at the end of the battle

And just to be clear, I believe that Drain Soul is a percentage of the amount of damage you caused with that hit. Not any kind of percentage of the SE of the opponent.
Dátum: 2011.01.28. 20:38:17
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2011.01.28. 19:32:11
have u checked out Quints adventure list Jon?

i just look at what each adventure is when i get them and if i dont like the tests i just delete it.

i find it very helpful especially for the tests where im low on a skill

Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But it would be that much easier if I could just mark it in-game. And it would provide some justification for the whole evaluation bit.