Felhasználónév: Jelszó:

Hozzászólások - Hyannis

Oldal: 123
Dátum: 2010.04.20. 08:22:45
Idézet: Elgoran - 2010.04.18. 11:08:44
My mother and I had a child. Who is my mother?

My brother's grandmother
My son's grandmother <-- marked correct
My son's sister
My aunt

Logic of this question escapes me, but it can be my not-so-good command of English...

Elgoran - This question relates to Genealogy or the family history. Firstly, I did not set the question, but just giving you my opinion on the question. My mother had a child and that child grew up and married and had a child. Assuming that the latter child is male, it answers the second part of the question. The son's grandmother is the father's mother. I hope this helps.
Dátum: 2010.04.10. 08:37:41
Theodore Roosevelt was the first U.S. President to ride in a ?
Submarine
Automobile
Plane
All of the above

Firstly, this is a bad question. Are we talking along the lines that Roosevelt was the very first president to ride in a car, the very first president to ride in a submarine, the very first president to ride on a plane? The answer would be NO. There are two different answers to which president was first to ride in an automobile and they are:

For the answer to this question, we turned to Michael L. Bromley, author of William Howard Taft and the First Motoring Presidency, 1909–1913. He graciously provided the following information:

In November of 1899, William McKinley became the first president to ride in an automobile, a Locomobile steam carriage driven by its inventor, F.O. Stanley, at Washington, D.C. McKinley is known to have taken at least two more auto rides, one in Patterson, New Jersey, in April, 1900, and another in July of 1901 at his home at Canton, Ohio.

In August of 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt took the first public automobile ride by a president during a parade at Hartford, Connecticut, in a Columbia electric car. In 1907, the Secret Service began to use two White steamers borrowed from the Army to shuttle visitors to and from the railroad station near his Oyster Bay, New York, home where he resided for the summers. While there was no official appropriation for this use, when Roosevelt used the cars on occasion, he became the first president to ride in a U.S. Government automobile. Overall, Roosevelt made known his preference for horses, and he always used horse and carriage for state purposes.

However, what you should be asking 'Who was the first President to ride in a submarine, automobile and plane whilst in office?' given Roosevelt and three other presidents as an option, then you would be right to say that Roosevelt was the first president to ride in all three.
Dátum: 2010.04.10. 08:23:50
Idézet: Banned - 2010.04.08. 20:16:00
Idézet: Hyannis - 2010.04.08. 08:27:17
Evaluators not doing your job properly ... Again.

'What was the book titled "The Modern Prometheus" better know as?' This should read What was the book titled "The Modern Prometheus" better known as?

You are correct Hyannis.....

and I am ashamed to admit........that question is mine <sighs>

Right after I submitted it... I saw the omitted "n" and assumed it would be thrown back for the spelling/grammar error.
(this was when the second world first started)
For that, I apologize.

Banned - there is no need to apologise. We are all human after all and we sometimes make mistakes even when it is staring us right in the face!!! :-) Even Evaluators are human (and I use that word sparingly (only joking Evaluators!!!)) and didn't spot the mistake. But for me, too many questions are getting through with mistakes in the question/answer.
Dátum: 2010.04.10. 08:17:59
Um ... I just answered a question 'The Muses were the goddesses of poetry and song. How many Muses were there?' and the following options were given: 3, 7, 9 & 11. I opted for 3 Muses, which turned out to be wrong and the answer given was 9. So being intrigued by this question and looked it up on Wiki and it is interesting what information they had on the Muses.

The Muses (Ancient Greek αἱ μοῦσαι, hai moũsai [1]: perhaps from the o-grade of the Proto-Indo-European root *men- "think"[2]) in Greek mythology, poetry, and literature are the goddesses or spirits who inspire the creation of literature and the arts. They were considered the source of the knowledge, related orally for centuries in the ancient culture, that was contained in poetic lyrics and myths.

Just how many muses there were was a matter of some dispute. In Boeotia, the homeland of Hesiod, a tradition persisted[3] that the Muses had once been three in number. Diodorus Siculus, quotes Hesiod to the contrary, observing:

Writers similarly disagree also concerning the number of the Muses; for some say that they are three, and others that they are nine, but the number nine has prevailed since it rests upon the authority of the most distinguished men, such as Homer and Hesiod and others like them.[4]

Three ancient Muses were also reported in Plutarch's Quaestiones Conviviviales (9.I4.2-4).[5] The Roman scholar Varro relates that there are only three Muses: one who is born from the movement of water, another who makes sound by striking the air, and a third, who is embodied only in the human voice. However the Classical understanding of the muses tripled their triad, set at nine goddesses, who embody the arts and inspire creation with their graces through remembered and improvised song and stage, writing, traditional music, and dance.

In one myth, King Pierus, king of Macedon, had nine daughters he named after the nine Muses, believing that their skills were a great match to the Muses. He thus challenged the Muses to a match, resulting in his daughters, the Pierides, being turned into chattering magpies[6] for their presumption.

Sometimes they are referred to as water nymphs, associated with the springs of Helicon and with Pieris. It was said that the winged horse Pegasus touched his hooves to the ground on Helicon, causing four sacred springs to burst forth, from which the muses were born.[1] Athena later tamed the horse and presented him to the muses.

The Olympian myths set Apollo as their leader, Apollon Mousagetēs. Not only are the Muses explicitly used in modern English to refer to an artistic inspiration, as when one cites one's own artistic muse, but they also are implicit in words and phrases such as "amuse", "museum" (Latinised from mouseion—a place where the muses were worshipped), "music", and "musing upon".[7]

According to Hesiod's Theogony (seventh century BC), they were daughters of Zeus, the second generation king of the gods, and the offspring of Mnemosyne, goddess of memory. For Alcman and Mimnermus, they were even more primordial, springing from the early deities, Uranus and Gaia. Gaia is Mother Earth, an early mother goddess who was worshipped at Delphi from prehistoric times, long before the site was rededicated to Apollo, possibly indicating a transfer to association with him after that time. Pausanias records a tradition of two generations of Muses; the first being daughters of Uranus and Gaia, the second of Zeus and Mnemosyne. Another, rarer genealogy is that they are daughters of Harmonia (the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares) which contradicts the myth in which they were dancing at the wedding of Harmonia and Cadmus. This later inconsistency is an example of how clues to the true dating, or chronology, of myths may be determined by the appearance of figures and concepts in Greek myths.

As there is different answers to the question ie 3 or 9, this question should be removed.
Dátum: 2010.04.08. 08:31:17
Idézet: Jerko - 2010.04.07. 20:56:44
I think Banned and I should take over the evaluators' job .

Do not forget me as I would love to have the job as well!!!
Dátum: 2010.04.08. 08:27:17
Evaluators not doing your job properly ... Again.

I was asked the following two questions:

'What Was The real name Of Mahatma Ghandi ?' His correct surname is Gandhi.

'What was the book titled "The Modern Prometheus" better know as?' This should read What was the book titled "The Modern Prometheus" better known as?
Dátum: 2010.04.07. 21:18:17
Idézet: stekkos - 2010.04.07. 13:19:47
If you read a bit the forums, and i mean go a few pages back you will find americans complaining of not enough NHL/NFL, and that european questions pass more thatn theirs. Then you will find europeans complaining about too many NHL/NFL questions, others saying there is discrimination, others complaining too much global questions are accepted, etc.

So basically, its good you are proud to be British (i really dont know where you got the idea anyone wants you to feel otherwise...), very good comment about cleopatra, it should be corrected, but dont take it personally. Your question is bad because you asked something too specific, someone who has seen the movie, knows the cast, read the reviews etc, will still be oblivious to the answer you are looking for. Easy to goolge changes nothing, is still a question that requires special knowleadge. Thats all, nothing else is implied.

Maybe I went a bit too far with 'I am proud to be British part. I was trying to make a point that if I am British and I can search and create a question about an American question then it is feasible that everybody else can as well. Still, my point is that ALL questions should NOT fall under this 'only a special group of people will know this answer'. Do you not agree?
Dátum: 2010.04.07. 09:51:41
Idézet: vulturu - 2010.04.06. 16:42:16
Donald and Kiefer Sutherland, father and son actors, are of which nationality?

American
British
Canadian
Australian

The problem is that Kiefer Sutherland is British and Donald is Canadian... And the marked correct answer is Canadian... So what about the British one?

I had already questioned this earlier. Yes Keifer was born in Britain but he retained his parent's nationality 'Canadian'. If you have doubts then let me inform you that my father is Welsh, my mother is English. Both served in the Royal Signals and were stationed in Germany in 1965 when I was born in RAF (H) Wegberg Moenchengladbach. Although, I was born in Germany, I am classed as British because of my parents and that the base I was born on was under British rule. I could, and I am sure that Keifer can do the same, and claim duel nationality.
Dátum: 2010.04.07. 09:34:28
Who was original cast as David in A.I. Artifical Intelligence before Haley Joel Osment won the part?

Michael Angarano
Joseph Mazzello
Ethan Hawle
Tobey Maguire

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

So evaluators - please explain why you have rejected a valid question on the grounds of 'only a special group of people might know the answer'!!! Is it because only the citizens of the USA might know the answer?? Or is it only the film industry might know the answer??

Or is it because this game is now becoming so fallible that no questions should be set at all.

Let me answer the first question - I am proud to be British!!! I learnt this question by using Google - arguably the best search engine available. There are a lot of questions that are set, which I have to answer, that I believe that fall into the category 'only a special group of people know the answer'. Ans there are some questions that get through with spelling mistakes and wrong answers that are never scrutinised properly.

One such question is: Cleopatra was supposedly killed by what? The answer to the quiz was 'bitten by an adder'. This is incorrect. If anything, if Cleopatra was bitten by a snake, the snake was an asp not an adder. However, there is another theory that Cleopatra went into a tomb (pyramid) along with her two handmaidens and a basket of figs, which contained two wasps and got bitten on her shoulder. This is only one of many theories of how Cleopatra died and therefore this question should have been classified as 'only a special group of people will know this answer'.

This is why the game is so 'fallible'. What vexes me more is that there is no consistency throughout this question and answer process. A British person having to answer questions on 'Who first signed the US Declaration of Independence?' or any ice hockey questions that feature American or Canadian ice hockey teams.

Like I have said many times before NO question should be classed as 'only a special group of people will know this answer' because the internet is there for everyone to use to investigate such questions. You and I can learn by answering such questions. I now know that John Hancock was the first person to sign the US Declaration of Independence. However, there is some dispute on the legality of the date in which the Declaration was signed. Many argue that it wasn't the 4th July (which American celebrate this day for obvious reasons) but the 19th July). If it was the 4th July then John Adams was the first person to sign the Declaration.

Questions should only be judged on spelling and wrong answers. You have a forum set up for questions that have questionable answers. Use this to delete questions that have wrong answers - for instance 'How many days does it take for the Moon to orbit the Earth? The answer to the question was given as 28 days. WRONG!!! It takes the Moon 29.5 days to orbit the Earth. The extra .5 gives us an extra day every four years in February.

Evaluators - stop being killjoys and only concentrate on questions that have bad spelling or have wrong answers!!!!!!!!!!
Dátum: 2010.03.28. 06:38:15
Which nation invented the tie? Options given Americans (America), Croats (Croatia) and two other nations that I can't remember. This is a bad question to begin with because it is an individual that creates or designs what we wear, what we use etc. The answer given was Croats (Croatia), which is incorrect. The father of the modern necktie was the American tie manufacturer Jesse Langsdorf, who in 1920 patented the all-weather wrinkle-free tie. The modern necktie is part of the evolution of men's neckwear that has taken place for hundreds of years. So the correct answer is Americans (America)
Dátum: 2010.03.17. 20:40:29
ChaoticGemini - I trust that you have the posts from Banned, Stekkos, Viridel, Ciphas and myself about the number of poor questions, questions that were banned and shouldn't have been banned, questions that weren't banned and should have been banned and each of us of a great understanding of how to improve the game. Is there any reason why we cannot become Evaluators?

I also have a suggestion to be considered regarding the soul-energy points. Why not grade the questions between 1-5. 1 is easy and 5 extremely hard to answer. The soul-energy is then phased between the severity of the question. ie 1-5 energy points for questions in bracket 1; 6-10 for questions in bracket 2 and so on til bracket 5 will offer you 21 -25 soul energy. The Evaluators can judge whether or not a uestion is easy to hard. Only a suggestion on improving the questions
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 12:56:33
Viridel has asked that I join this group and I am happy do so. I have read some of your comments and feel they are all valid points. Surely, all these questions are vetted before being released upon our poor minds to answer. One question that went through the system unchecked: What was the nationality of Albert Einstein? Please check my reasoning why this question should be removed under Quiz Errors page 34.

I find that the questions are poorly written and this leads to all kinds of confusion for those tasked to answer the question, and losing valuable soul-energy!! Another thing I find, is that a question could already be asked, but HOW do I know what question I can ask, if I do not have access to the database?

The other thing we need to be mindful of is the diversity of the people playing this game. I am not privy to the number of players, but if this is advertised on the WWW, then you can guarantee that quite a number of different nationalities play Doom Lord. You cannot expect a British person to answer a question on American History and an American person to answer a question on British History without being tolerant of their country. The WWW is a worthwhile tool to find answers to different countries of the World.

Questions should only be banned/removed if the question contains errors and/or the answer is wrong/more than one answer can be right.
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 12:37:35
Idézet: Viridel - 2010.03.15. 16:27:52
Idézet: Hyannis - 2010.03.15. 08:43:15
Viridel - to some extent, I agree with you. One of my first questions I posted was, In which English County would you find the oldest Officer's Training camp called Sandhurst? I believe this is a legitimate question to ask, but it was rejected on the grounds that 'only a specific group of people would know this'!!! Yet, I am asked to name the first person to sign the US Independence document. Being British and brought up in a British school system, we Brits were not taught about American History. We were taught British History especially WWI and WWII.

My argument to this is that ALL questions should be allowed through UNLESS there are spelling mistakes in the question/answer OR the answer is a bit dubious. WE can ALL learn each other's History and Culture. The internet is a great source for learning so why not use the tools for EVERY question that is asked.

Hyannis, please join us in the Complaints -> Quiz area of the forum - we need more intelligent people like you who understand what we are complaining about.

Would be pleased to join up. I would be happy to look through all the questions that are on this 'so called' database and get rid of questions that are dubious, carry mistakes etc
Dátum: 2010.03.16. 12:30:28
Now the following question should be removed as two answers are plausible and one other option not given and should have been given as an answerable option - see quotation below for my understanding from the Internet:

What is the nationality of Albert Einstein?
French
German
Swiss
Italian

The answer given to the question: German. Yes he was born in Germany, but had renounced this and became Swiss.

Albert Einstein was born a German, took Swiss nationality in 1900 and German-Swiss nationality after the war, renounced German citizenship in 1933, and became an American citizen in 1940. Such real and symbolic frontier-crossing was appropriate in a man who hoped for a world in which there were no binding or fanatical nationalist allegiances to cause distrust, hostility and war.
Dátum: 2010.03.15. 08:43:15
Viridel - to some extent, I agree with you. One of my first questions I posted was, In which English County would you find the oldest Officer's Training camp called Sandhurst? I believe this is a legitimate question to ask, but it was rejected on the grounds that 'only a specific group of people would know this'!!! Yet, I am asked to name the first person to sign the US Independence document. Being British and brought up in a British school system, we Brits were not taught about American History. We were taught British History especially WWI and WWII.

My argument to this is that ALL questions should be allowed through UNLESS there are spelling mistakes in the question/answer OR the answer is a bit dubious. WE can ALL learn each other's History and Culture. The internet is a great source for learning so why not use the tools for EVERY question that is asked.
Dátum: 2010.03.12. 22:23:39
Idézet: Pogaxa - 2010.03.11. 21:06:25
as far as i know, first there were 12 Olympians who are considered to be major gods:

Zeus
Hera
Poseidon
Hermes
Hestia
Demeter
Aphrodite
Athena
Apollo
Artemis
Ares
Hephaestus

Dionysos was offered a seat later and Hades was not generally included in the twelve as spending almost all of his time in the underworld he did not have a seat in the pantheon.

Idézet: Hyannis - 2010.03.11. 19:55:13
Someone asked 'How many Major Gods are there in Greek Mythology? The selection of answers are 12, 13, 14 and 15. The answer given was 12. But correct me if I am wrong, I believe there are 14 and they are:

I understand what you are saying, but the question is specific - How many Major Gods are there in Greek Mythology? Not How many Olympic Gods were there in Greek Mythology? The question should be more specific!!
Dátum: 2010.03.11. 19:55:13
Someone asked 'How many Major Gods are there in Greek Mythology? The selection of answers are 12, 13, 14 and 15. The answer given was 12. But correct me if I am wrong, I believe there are 14 and they are:

Zeus - King
Hera - Queen
Aphrodite - goddess of love and beauty
Apollo - god of light, truth, healing, music, poetry and archery
Ares - god of war
Artemis - goddess of hunt, moon and children
Athena - goddess of wisdom, war, patriotism and good citizenship
Demeter - goddess of grain, agriculture and fertility
Dionysus - god of wine, vegetation and theater
Hades - god of the underworld
Hephaestus - god of forge and fire
Hermes - messenger of the gods, god of motion, travelers, commerce, thieves and sheep
Hestia - goddess of hearth and home
Poseidon - god of the sea, earthquakes and horses
Dátum: 2010.03.09. 20:48:12
I have a dispute about the following question: Who defeated Napoleon at Trafalgar?

Answers given:

Maximillian Robespierre
Nelson
The prince of Wellington (UM you will find that his proper title is The Duke of Wellington
Sir Francis Drake

The question should have been - Who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo?

The Battle of Trafalgar (21 October 1805) was a sea battle fought between the British Royal Navy and the combined fleets of the French Navy and Spanish Navy, during the War of the Third Coalition (August–December 1805) of the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815). The battle was the most decisive British naval victory of the war. Twenty-seven British ships of the line led by Admiral Lord Nelson aboard HMS Victory defeated thirty-three French and Spanish ships of the line under French Admiral Pierre Villeneuve off the south-west coast of Spain, just west of Cape Trafalgar. The Franco-Spanish fleet lost twenty-two ships, without a single British vessel being lost.

The British victory spectacularly confirmed the naval supremacy that Britain had established during the past century and was achieved in part through Nelson's departure from the prevailing naval tactical orthodoxy, which involved engaging an enemy fleet in a single line of battle parallel to the enemy to facilitate signalling in battle and disengagement, and to maximize fields of fire and target areas. Nelson instead divided his smaller force into two columns directed perpendicularly against the larger enemy fleet, with decisive results.

Nelson was mortally wounded during the battle, becoming Britain's greatest war hero. The commander of the joint French and Spanish forces, Admiral Pierre de Villeneuve, was captured along with his ship Bucentaure. Spanish Admiral Federico Gravina escaped with the remnant of the fleet, and succumbed months later to wounds he sustained during the battle.

The Battle of Waterloo was fought on Sunday 18 June 1815 near Waterloo in present-day Belgium. An Imperial French army under the command of Emperor Napoleon was defeated by combined armies of the Seventh Coalition, one an Anglo-Allied army under the command of the Duke of Wellington and the other a Prussian army under the command of Gebhard von Blücher. It was the culminating battle of the Waterloo Campaign and Napoleon's last. The defeat at Waterloo put an end to Napoleon's rule as Emperor of the French and marked the end of his Hundred Days' return from exile.

Upon Napoleon's return to power in 1815, many states that had opposed him formed the Seventh Coalition and began to mobilise armies. Two large forces under Wellington and von Blücher assembled close to the northeastern border of France. Napoleon chose to attack in the hope of destroying them before they could join in a coordinated invasion of France with other members of the Coalition. The decisive engagement of this three-day Waterloo Campaign (16 June – 19 June 1815) occurred at the Battle of Waterloo. According to Wellington, the battle was "the nearest-run thing you ever saw in your life."[5]

Napoleon delayed giving battle until noon on 18 June to allow the ground to dry. Wellington's army, positioned across the Brussels road on the Mont St Jean escarpment, withstood repeated attacks by the French, until, in the evening, the Prussians arrived in force and broke through Napoleon's right flank. At that moment, Wellington's Anglo-allied army counter-attacked and drove the French army in disorder from the field. Pursuing Coalition forces entered France and restored Louis XVIII to the French throne. Napoleon abdicated, surrendered to the British, and was exiled to Saint Helena, where he died in 1821.

The battlefield is in present-day Belgium, about eight miles (12 km) SSE of Brussels, and about a mile (1.6 km) from the town of Waterloo. The site of the battlefield is today dominated by a large monument, the Lion Mound. As this mound used earth from the battlefield itself, the original topography of the part of the battlefield around the mound has not been preserved.

In summary, The Dule of Wellington defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. As far as history goes, I do not believe that Nelson and Napoleon fought.
Dátum: 2010.03.03. 08:38:46
To the Evaluators - problems with doing the Hunt today and answering the questions. One of the questions I answered correctly - Who played Rambo? Answer good old Sly Stallone, but I received a wrong answer and the correct answer being ALASKA????

Other questions answered with correct solution but wrong answers not relating to the question kept popping up!!!
Dátum: 2010.03.02. 21:37:57
Idézet: Savanur - 2010.03.02. 17:24:54
Who judges these questions? They are a very biased and unfair bunch of people. How could this question be rejected?

Prior to the 2010 Winter Olympics, which host country had never won a gold metal?

Canada
Japan
South Korea
Russia

According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

This is general googling and common information. After reading some of the questions that are out there I am very disappointed.

Firstly, I would point out that you obtain a Gold MEDAL and not a Gold METAL!!!

It is a very good question. Excluding the 2010 Winter Olympics, Canada has hosted the Olympics on two other occasions, and failed to win any gold medals. So wording the question along that line would have been much better. Something like:

Canada is hosting the Winter Olympics for the third time. How many gold medals had they won in the previous two Winter Olympics? And given the answers as 0, 3, 5 or 14.
Oldal: 123