Felhasználónév: Jelszó:
Szerző
Topic neve: Complaints on players
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Complaints on players
481. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 06:27:43 (Válasz manunkind #480 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: manunkind - 2011.01.23. 06:09:20
*scratches head* petel87, why on earth would you take that position? just because offensive language is more difficult to decipher for some doesn't make it ok.

My guess is he's some Ron Paul, libertarian, don't let the Man restrict anything, kind of guy. Either that, or he's a raging psychopath. Some might say that's redundant. Anyway, he has a history of supporting the right of people to offend other people. Not to mention offending them himself...
Pontszám: 7.50
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
482. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 11:54:39 (Válasz manunkind #480 hozzászólására.)
*scratches head* petel87, why on earth would you take that position? just because offensive language is more difficult to decipher for some doesn't make it ok.

Briefly speaking because I am right
Pontszám: 5
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
961 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
483. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 15:18:29
so, if i respond to you with some namecalling right now ...in mandarin ...that'd be ok with you and fine for the community?
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
484. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 15:29:45 (Válasz petel87 #482 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: petel87 - 2011.01.23. 11:54:39

Briefly speaking because I am right

So you are right? You know for a fact that people are not offended by reading that name? Interesting, it looks like petel is some kind of omisentient...or, maybe ImLittleJon is right. Petel behaves like an internet troll, stiring up the fire wherver he/she can and then pretending to be "righ" just because he/she says so.

If people are offended by names and/or what people say in the game, this is the place to write about it and complain.
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
961 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
485. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 15:35:52 (Válasz Sbart #484 hozzászólására.)
i'm finding it difficult to believe that he has taken this position for any reason other than being adversarial.
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
486. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 15:55:26 (Válasz manunkind #485 hozzászólására.)
I think you guys are just taking discussion too personal. I shown my point of view already. I believe it is legitimate and right. I am open for contrarguments but all I get in response is wondering why would I take this position in the current issue. Please stick to the actual case instead of vague wonderings because all you could get would be a equally vague response.

manukind -> what has any namecalling to do with anything? As you can see I have no inentions, neither I am trying to be adversarial.

Sbart -> I am right at this moment of discussion because nobody presented any valuable opinions regarding this topic. I personally do not care about citizenry opinion as in most cases it is simply incorrect. Just like your silly accusations.
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
487. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 17:28:54 (Válasz petel87 #486 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: petel87 - 2011.01.23. 15:55:26

Sbart -> I am right at this moment of discussion because nobody presented any valuable opinions regarding this topic. I personally do not care about citizenry opinion as in most cases it is simply incorrect. Just like your silly accusations.

Against better judgment I have to argue against that. A person was attack by another person in the game and found the attackers name, Putamadre offensive. You then argued that it is ok, because it is not in english and can therfore not be offensive. I can only consider that false logic. The person was offended, something that you cannot, idenpedently of arguments, change. Your argumets are based on that any word not in english is by nature inoffensive, since it has no meaning (in an english langue forum). But some words are not part of english, and yet are so well known that they can be argued to be offensive even when used in a conversation in english. I would personally argue that puta is such a word, and therefore should not be allowed to use under the Forum guidelines or Terms of use.
I could also argue that this is not the english version of Doomlord, but the internationall version of Doomlord. Sure, the langue to use in the forum is english, but there are people of many different nationalities playing this game and therefore one has to take care when naming characters or expressing views on this forum.

And before you wonder, do I think that it means that other inapropriate and/or offensive names should also be removed? The answer is yes, if the name uses a widely known offensive term, then I think it should be removed (the name, not the player, it would be simple enough to force a name change).
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
961 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
488. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 17:48:41
as Sbart points out, the logic that anything not in english cannot be offense is terribly flawed. Spanish is far from a dead language, and the standard interpretation is far from ambiguous.
A hozzászólást manunkind módosította 2011.01.23. 17:52:03-kor
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
489. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 17:48:42
just on the literal translation of this word

i know there are different versions but i asked a spanish friend what it means and he said it would mean mother f*@ker which was actually the translation i found also

so other than all the arguments for having name changed the other one is that this game has no age restriction, so that means that young kids could also be curious as to what that meant and google it and that in itself is reason to change it.
popularCruel01Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
714 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
490. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 17:59:11
Here you go Dark.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=madre%27

What this website says is perfect. It is an offense when directed to a person. But it could also be an exclamation.
In this particular case, as it is a character name, I tend to agree it is not an offense to a person.

But at the end of the day, I couldn't care less about this discussion...lol

Cruel.
likeddark22Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
247 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
491. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 18:14:11 (Válasz Cruel01 #490 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2011.01.23. 17:59:11
Here you go Dark.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=madre%27

What this website says is perfect. It is an offense when directed to a person. But it could also be an exclamation.
In this particular case, as it is a character name, I tend to agree it is not an offense to a person.

But at the end of the day, I couldn't care less about this discussion...lol

Cruel.

Idk mate, its similar to me saying holly f*** when I see some ubercute lady walking outside. Strictly it means something in the line of "oh my God"and it is not offensive, but it doesn't change the fact what it meant.
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
961 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
492. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 18:41:28
i don't imagine the makers of this game want the spanish f-bomb in a player's name even if it's not directed at someone.
much likedquint
Végzetúr poronty
181 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
493. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 18:59:07 (Válasz Cruel01 #490 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2011.01.23. 17:59:11

Not to a specific person, but potentially to anyone having to deal with that character. The rules apply to everyone, and this person broke them by choosing an obscene expression for his character's name.
Doomlord wiki: http://doomlord.wikidot.com

I need contribution to the list of adventures from anyone who's willing to share information with others. Please help me expand this list.
Pontszám: 6.71
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
494. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 19:41:19
Maybe this ad has been there all along, but I just noticed it. There's an ad on the bottom of my DL page right now for SuperPokePets.com that says "Save Piggy!" featuring a sad looking pig behind bars.
Pontszám: 8
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
495. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 20:12:56
Thank you all for your entertaining points. I would only like to add that it is only an assumption that the nickname is in spanish. I looked through a bit an your favourite word "puta" means mischievious in Catalan language, could be used as an inflection of the Latin word puto, it as well means foam in Lithuanian, hole in Maori, is a definite singular of word pute (which mean pillow) in Norwegian, could be a genitive of put in Scottish Gaelic or an adjective of word puto (rice cake) in Spanish.

Combined with "madre" it could literally mean anything in many many various languages (or combinations of these). I am hoping that whoever has anymore doubts can literally see what I am trying to point out.
Pontszám: 2.20
irritatingBash Chelik
Végzetúr poronty
62 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
496. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 20:20:22
you can always ask that player for the meaning of his nick...
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
497. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 20:45:47 (Válasz petel87 #495 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: petel87 - 2011.01.23. 20:12:56
Thank you all for your entertaining points. I would only like to add that it is only an assumption that the nickname is in spanish. I looked through a bit an your favourite word "puta" means mischievious in Catalan language, could be used as an inflection of the Latin word puto, it as well means foam in Lithuanian, hole in Maori, is a definite singular of word pute (which mean pillow) in Norwegian, could be a genitive of put in Scottish Gaelic or an adjective of word puto (rice cake) in Spanish.

Combined with "madre" it could literally mean anything in many many various languages (or combinations of these). I am hoping that whoever has anymore doubts can literally see what I am trying to point out.

And yet none of this addresses the point that puta is well known to mean whore in Spanish, and therefore people find it offensive. Does that mean that it can mean other, non-offensive things? No, of course not. But the original point, that the word is offensive to a lot of people, still stands.

Besides, I personally find it bad style coming from a person that complains that everyone else gives bad arguments to call other peoples points "entertaining" and say that it is other peoples "favourite word". To me that just means that you have run out of arguments and can´t argue for your point of view without trying to play the elitist know-it-all.

And just as a fotnote:
Catalan (Noun)
puta f. (plural putes)
1. (pejorative, vulgar) Prostitute, whore, slut.
2. mischievous

Maori (Noun)
puta
1. hole
2. anus

As you can see, in both cases you chose to use the meaning that supported your opinion, instead of presenting all possible meanings. As you can see, the word is easily offensive in both Catalan and Maori.
A hozzászólást Sbart módosította 2011.01.23. 20:46:13-kor
Pontszám: 8.33
hatedpetel87
Végzetúr poronty
109 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
498. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 20:51:28 (Válasz Sbart #497 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Sbart - 2011.01.23. 20:45:47

As you can see, in both cases you chose to use the meaning that supported your opinion, instead of presenting all possible meanings. As you can see, the word is easily offensive in both Catalan and Maori.

It is not, it could be if you make certain assumptions. That's why I believe we should stick to one language in terms of offenses.
Pontszám: 4.50
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
961 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
499. hozzászólás - 2011.01.23. 21:12:11
but the world isn't made up of just one language. the word is offensive unless you go to extraordinary measures to try to justify that it's not. most people seeing it will understand it by its common spanish meaning, which is offensive. this debate is silly. there is so much grey area to cover, we waste time on this straighforward issue.
unpopularaneksi
Végzetúr poronty
44 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
500. hozzászólás - 2011.01.24. 00:44:16
Well pete u are wrong. The point is that name is offensive to alot more ppl then it is none offensive towards. By your own admission i should be able to name myself Mother fucker. As long as something is legally offensive to ONE person its offensive bottom line.
A hozzászólást aneksi módosította 2011.01.24. 00:46:39-kor
Pontszám: 8.33
HKK - Zén minikiegészítő: Zén Legendái: A sötétség gyermekeiRésföld - a HKK legújabb kiegészítője