Szerző
Topic neve: My quiz question was rejected
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: My quiz question was rejected
1321. hozzászólás - 2010.12.27. 17:31:14
isn't the walk-softly-but-carry-a-big-stick quote sufficiently well-known? why was this question regarded as ambiguous/wrong?

According to Theodore Roosevelt, how should one walk while carrying a big stick?

confidently
authoritatively
softly
backwards
Pontszám: 5
irritatingHarleyharrFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
24 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1322. hozzászólás - 2010.12.27. 18:23:48 (Válasz manunkind #1321 hozzászólására.)
Because only his close inner-circle of Cricket playing friends might know that he said it in other ways. Please stick to questions related to Cricket, Rugby, and Hungarian Poets.
Pontszám: 3
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1323. hozzászólás - 2010.12.27. 18:34:00 (Válasz manunkind #1321 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: manunkind - 2010.12.27. 17:31:14
isn't the walk-softly-but-carry-a-big-stick quote sufficiently well-known? why was this question regarded as ambiguous/wrong?

According to Theodore Roosevelt, how should one walk while carrying a big stick?

confidently
authoritatively
softly
backwards

Because the quote is Speak softly, not Walk softly.

What Theodore Roosevelt said was not "walk softly but carry a big stick" as is often mis-quoted. He gave his famous quote during a speech in 1903:

There is a homely old adage which runs: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." If the American nation will speak softly, and yet build and keep at a pitch of the highest training a thoroughly efficient navy, the Monroe Doctrine will go far.
Pontszám: 4.33
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1324. hozzászólás - 2010.12.28. 05:26:03
*smacks forehead* Viridel, you're right!
very popularGalanaNő
Végzetúr poronty
24 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1325. hozzászólás - 2010.12.28. 07:17:03 (Válasz manunkind #1324 hozzászólására.)
It is really too bad that the US cannot take its own quote and just shut the hell up.
A hozzászólást Galana módosította 2010.12.31. 00:48:19-kor
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1326. hozzászólás - 2010.12.28. 07:33:56 (Válasz manunkind #1324 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: manunkind - 2010.12.28. 05:26:03
*smacks forehead* Viridel, you're right!

And - Ardent's opinion of me aside - I usually am
Pontszám: 4.33
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1327. hozzászólás - 2010.12.28. 14:57:23
(i'll judge you on your own merit. )
irritatingrok3269
Végzetúr poronty
45 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1328. hozzászólás - 2010.12.30. 22:33:18
How does this question get allowed into the game;

Which of these characters does NOT appear in the game Diablo II ?
Sorceress
Barbarian
Paladin
Rogue *

When the question I asked which referenced the Harry Potter books & movies gets rejected. There is no way you can tell me that Diablo II has more popularity and a bigger following than the Hary Potter series of books & movies does.

My question was rejected on the basis of being special knowledge known only to a few and yet I have never played Diablo I or II but I am expected to know this. Why is that ?
Seriously how can anyone call this syustem of grading questions even remotely fair?
irritatingrok3269
Végzetúr poronty
45 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1329. hozzászólás - 2010.12.30. 22:55:30 (Válasz stekkos #1318 hozzászólására.)
Quote from Stekkos
Petel, although is appreciated you try to answer, please do not respond in such a sarcastic way. Especially your last comment makes it sound as if you are an evaluator and you are telling the player evaluators do not care about the google remark, although you have nothing to do with evaluating.

Rok3269, google is not a factor in getting a question accepted. Evaluators follow a set of rules regarding what to accept and if a question satisfies them passes regardless of how easy is to google the answer.

Petel is an Azzwipe and I generally ignore people like that anyways.

As far as the 'google-ability' of a question in determining if it should be accepted, I believe that it should be a part of the consideration. The questions in this game which deal with predominitly (sp) European history ie., T.V., sports, pre-1900's battles, are among the toughest in the game because they are not always readily apparent to someone from the U.S., and even with Search Engines such as Google the answers are not easilt identified. This makes submitting questions extremely difficult, because the evaluators seem to readily accept European sports question but deny American ones, as well as making the game harder to play if you're not European, this can cause the questions seemingly to be biased towards European players.
I have a posting just above this that follows along the same lines, how am I expected to know the basics of a game and which characters are or are not in a game I have never played?
You can't say that it is easily answered by a google search, because that isn't part of what the evaluators look for in a question. My only answer would be that the Evaluator has more knowledge of the game and unless they play the game I don't see that happening, because that would be bias and unfair.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1330. hozzászólás - 2010.12.31. 00:45:55 (Válasz rok3269 #1329 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: rok3269 - 2010.12.30. 22:55:30
Quote from Stekkos
Petel, although is appreciated you try to answer, please do not respond in such a sarcastic way. Especially your last comment makes it sound as if you are an evaluator and you are telling the player evaluators do not care about the google remark, although you have nothing to do with evaluating.

Rok3269, google is not a factor in getting a question accepted. Evaluators follow a set of rules regarding what to accept and if a question satisfies them passes regardless of how easy is to google the answer.

Petel is an Azzwipe and I generally ignore people like that anyways.

As far as the 'google-ability' of a question in determining if it should be accepted, I believe that it should be a part of the consideration. The questions in this game which deal with predominitly (sp) European history ie., T.V., sports, pre-1900's battles, are among the toughest in the game because they are not always readily apparent to someone from the U.S., and even with Search Engines such as Google the answers are not easilt identified. This makes submitting questions extremely difficult, because the evaluators seem to readily accept European sports question but deny American ones, as well as making the game harder to play if you're not European, this can cause the questions seemingly to be biased towards European players.
I have a posting just above this that follows along the same lines, how am I expected to know the basics of a game and which characters are or are not in a game I have never played?
You can't say that it is easily answered by a google search, because that isn't part of what the evaluators look for in a question. My only answer would be that the Evaluator has more knowledge of the game and unless they play the game I don't see that happening, because that would be bias and unfair.

Something that has gotten a LOT better in the last several months was removing the Euro vs. US bias. The evaluators do a MUCH improved job of evaluating the merit of the question, rather than the geography. There are a mind-numbing number of US State questions that would be easier to an American - however, because they need to research Eurocentric questions, there appears to be a bias. This bias truly doesn't exist in any noticible way any more.

There are some questions accepted that definitely shouldn't be, and vice versa, and that is an area that still needs improvement... But there really shouldn't be any more complaints about geographical bias (at least between NA & Euro).
irritatingrok3269
Végzetúr poronty
45 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1331. hozzászólás - 2011.01.01. 16:04:24 (Válasz stekkos #1317 hozzászólására.)
If the questions have to pertain to the series in general and not to specifics how does the foillowing question make it into this game...

What kind of car does Al Bundy Drive?
Pontiac
Chevrolet
Ford
Dodge

I know the series' Married with Children' and his car was never a focal point of the show and the show did not pertain to his car. So I ask you this, Why was this allowed if my question is rejected?
likeddark22Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
247 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1332. hozzászólás - 2011.01.01. 19:32:28
Are you sure you ve watched it? Car was like a part of family, I still lol when I remember the episode with 999,999 miles on it.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1333. hozzászólás - 2011.01.01. 20:35:19
Also this question was accepted way before any of the current evaluators, so it did not pass through the same rules. It is a very old question so you can argue about it being in the quiz, but you cannot compare it to your evaluation. As for googlability, i am also in favor but is not up to me or any evaluator. I am discussing it with the admin, still waiting her opinion. But until evaluators get a new directive we have to keep working under the current rules regardless of personal or player preferences.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1334. hozzászólás - 2011.01.01. 20:40:41 (Válasz rok3269 #1328 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: rok3269 - 2010.12.30. 22:33:18
How does this question get allowed into the game;

Which of these characters does NOT appear in the game Diablo II ?
Sorceress
Barbarian
Paladin
Rogue *

When the question I asked which referenced the Harry Potter books & movies gets rejected. There is no way you can tell me that Diablo II has more popularity and a bigger following than the Hary Potter series of books & movies does.

My question was rejected on the basis of being special knowledge known only to a few and yet I have never played Diablo I or II but I am expected to know this. Why is that ?
Seriously how can anyone call this syustem of grading questions even remotely fair?

First of all let me say again it is not based on popularity. Harry potter is much more popular. But this question is asking about THE MAIN CHARACTER selection of the game. Questions about the names of main characters are accepted for much less known books/games/movies than Diablo II. If the question was which character can wield the (just random name) firebreether sword in Diablo II, even if it was the most well known weapon of the game, it would not be accepted.
everyone's favoritedukeboards
Végzetúr poronty
3 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1335. hozzászólás - 2011.01.01. 21:38:12
Sorry but the evaluation system is ridiculous.

I posted a question about the birthplace of former US President Bill Clinton (Hope Arkansas), and it was rejected as specialized knowledge. Clinton is probably the most well known living person in the entire world and was commonly referred to as "The man from Hope" while campaigning.

That was rejected as too specialized and yet I have had questions about the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, the year of a Chinese earthquake and the colors of the Romanian flag. You've got to be kidding me.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1336. hozzászólás - 2011.01.02. 07:22:51 (Válasz stekkos #1333 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.01.01. 20:35:19
Also this question was accepted way before any of the current evaluators, so it did not pass through the same rules. It is a very old question so you can argue about it being in the quiz, but you cannot compare it to your evaluation. As for googlability, i am also in favor but is not up to me or any evaluator. I am discussing it with the admin, still waiting her opinion. But until evaluators get a new directive we have to keep working under the current rules regardless of personal or player preferences.

I'm a huge MWC fan, and ironically enough, I am watching the Season 6 finale as I type this. The Dodge is definitely specialized knowledge. It is not a primary "character", being mentioned in probably less than half the episodes, and even when it is, it's not usually seen (and when it is, it's hardly distinguishable as anything other than an old rusted car). Love the show, hate the question - kick it.
popularCruel01Férfi
Végzetúr poronty
714 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1337. hozzászólás - 2011.01.02. 15:32:01
stekkos,
I believe you when you say the new evaluators are better.
But I would say that 80% of the questions are specific knowledge.
If the rules were to be applied in all the database, very few questions would remain and we would be answering repeated questions all day long.
In my view, "googlability" should be accepted as a rule. Otherwise, we will just keep pretending there are rules.

Cruel.

P.S. I have given up proposing questions during the previous evaluator's team "reign". Seeing a perfectly good question being rejected and having to answer horrible/WRONG questions right after was a big turn off. It is simply not worth to get double SE. Specially considering you can get ZERO if the evaluator so decides.
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1338. hozzászólás - 2011.01.02. 17:08:42 (Válasz Cruel01 #1337 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Cruel01 - 2011.01.02. 15:32:01
Seeing a perfectly good question being rejected and having to answer horrible/WRONG questions right after was a big turn off.

Know what's worse? Having a question rejected due to specialized knowledge and then later getting the exact same question with different answers. That's happened to me three times now. Almost makes me want to go all Viridel on someone...
Pontszám: 7.50
averageD00ml0rdFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
520 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1339. hozzászólás - 2011.01.02. 17:49:06 (Válasz ImLittleJon #1338 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2011.01.02. 17:08:42
Almost makes me want to go all Viridel on someone...

ROFLMAO lol

averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1340. hozzászólás - 2011.01.02. 18:39:21 (Válasz D00ml0rd #1339 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: D00ml0rd - 2011.01.02. 17:49:06
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2011.01.02. 17:08:42
Almost makes me want to go all Viridel on someone...

ROFLMAO lol

I am honored!
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!