Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
averageBoar
Végzetúr poronty
154 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
1801. hozzászólás - 2010.08.29. 15:16:22
What is actor/producer/comedian Jerry Seinfeld so obsessed with that, besides him, appears in every single episode of his show "Seinfeld"?
Statue of Liberty
Donuts
Superman
Japanese tourists

Uncommon knowledge,in the most countries of the world, this show doesn't even broadcasted...
Pontszám: 5
much likedFalln
Végzetúr poronty
6 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1802. hozzászólás - 2010.08.29. 15:20:54
I received a bad question:

Which letters can be found on the dial 2 on your phone.

Answer A,B,C

On my phone I can only find E on the 2.
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1803. hozzászólás - 2010.08.29. 15:58:15
I think it's fair to say that the universal phone keypad looks like this:
http://sparklette.net/archives/590/keypad.jpg
Though 'qwerty' pads won't have that, most mobiles and housephones do (at least in Britain anyway)

The map of Slovenia in Europe: http://www.ling.gu.se/projekt/sprakfrageladan/images/europe_map.gif

Yes, it's on the south side, but it appears to me to be definitely in the middle of Europe.

Which country has the most lakes?
Finland <-- right
Russia
Sweden
USA

Canada has the most lakes. Finland has the most lakes in Europe and possibly the highest ratio of land to lakes, but in terms of numbers, Canada is way ahead.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_country_has_the_most_lakes
A hozzászólást Phalanxii módosította 2010.08.29. 15:58:35-kor
Your very own English Doomlord Encyclopedia!

Have you fought an epic monster recently? Upload the name and HP here!
http://doomlord.wikia.com/epic_monument
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1804. hozzászólás - 2010.08.29. 15:59:03 (Válasz MartinBV #1795 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: MartinBV - 2010.08.28. 19:52:13
Do we take this one again?
I'd rather not, but please keep the language civil.

Yes, please. Let's keep the language civil.

Idézet: MartinBV - 2010.08.28. 19:52:13
The fact still remains that the question is correct and a good one.

The answer may be correct, but I don't think you can say the question is. Within the stated guidelines, the question is not a good one. It is a mathematical question, which is an explicit category for rejection. Beyond that, it is stated an a manner which is obviously unclear. I understand the intent of the question, but the first reaction of almost everyone who reads it (including me) is "huh?".
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1805. hozzászólás - 2010.08.29. 16:21:40
The most important difference between all elements is...
The number of isotopes
The number of electrons
The number of protons
The number of neutrons

Elements have the same number of protons and electrons, so there are two correct answers to this question. Please delete.
averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1806. hozzászólás - 2010.08.29. 17:45:26 (Válasz Phalanxii #1803 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.08.29. 15:58:15
I think it's fair to say that the universal phone keypad looks like this:
http://sparklette.net/archives/590/keypad.jpg
Though 'qwerty' pads won't have that, most mobiles and housephones do (at least in Britain anyway)

The map of Slovenia in Europe: http://www.ling.gu.se/projekt/sprakfrageladan/images/europe_map.gif

Yes, it's on the south side, but it appears to me to be definitely in the middle of Europe.

It's only in the middle if you ignore the Scandinavian countries. Try this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Centre_of_Europe.jpg
likedValkyrieFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
474 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1807. hozzászólás - 2010.08.30. 09:54:06 (Válasz Boar #1801 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Boar - 2010.08.29. 15:16:22
What is actor/producer/comedian Jerry Seinfeld so obsessed with that, besides him, appears in every single episode of his show "Seinfeld"?
Statue of Liberty
Donuts
Superman
Japanese tourists

Uncommon knowledge,in the most countries of the world, this show doesn't even broadcasted...

I beg to disagree, it's a fun trivia, the show has been broadcasted in majority of states ( definetely more than policeman Derek ) and the question was preaproved by the evaluators in the "will my question be rejected" thread. And it's not below 25% as some of the other, "more normal" questions (like how many eyes does a bee have...)
Inter urinas et faeces homo nascitur
averageDentaio
Végzetúr poronty
22 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1808. hozzászólás - 2010.08.30. 10:02:46 (Válasz ImLittleJon #1805 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.08.29. 16:21:40
The number of isotopes
The number of electrons
The number of protons
The number of neutrons

Elements have the same number of protons and electrons, so there are two correct answers to this question. Please delete.

When elements are ionized the electron count differs from number of protons. It is the number of protons (and number of electrons in non-ionized state) that defines an element, so the question is fine in my opinion.

When was Mary had a little first published?
May 24 1830
November 17 1680
August 3 1777
April 1 1930

Shouldn't this be "Mary had a little lamb"?
A hozzászólást Dentaio módosította 2010.08.30. 10:09:36-kor
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1809. hozzászólás - 2010.08.30. 15:11:37 (Válasz Dentaio #1808 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Dentaio - 2010.08.30. 10:02:46
Idézet: ImLittleJon - 2010.08.29. 16:21:40

When elements are ionized the electron count differs from number of protons. It is the number of protons (and number of electrons in non-ionized state) that defines an element, so the question is fine in my opinion.

Depends on what is meant by "most important difference". In terms of what can't you change without changing what element it is, that would be the number of protons. In terms of what other elements it can form bonds with, that would be the number of electrons. Also, an element can not be ionized. A particular oxygen atom can be ionized, but that does not change how many electrons the element Oxygen has.
averageSacrosanctFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
55 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1810. hozzászólás - 2010.08.30. 23:43:07
just had the following question.

"Which is NOT a method of quitting smoking?"

some of the answers included:

Surgery (noted correct)
Hypnosis
and 2 others ..

this question needs to be removed. Hypnosis DOES NOT help people quit smoking! Go take some Psychology classes, and one of the first things you will read about in psych 101 is that hypnosis does NOT work for smoking because smoking is not a psychological disorder thus, can't be cured by hypnosis, because it is a physical addiction.
I am the Dragon!!! Before you you RIGHTLY Tremble!
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1811. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 03:47:22
In response to the difference in ALL elements:
"In the d-block the atoms of the elements have between 1 and 10 d electrons."

The oxidation number of transition metals (and therefore the number of electrons) varies. The only property of all elements that remains consistent is the atomic number (protons)?

"What uniquely defines the identity of each element is the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom, also called the atomic number."

Are you saying an addiction to smoking has nothing to do with the mind?! Surely that's ridiculous... People with willpower can quit and beat physical cravings with their sheer determination. Even if the actual hypnosis doesn't reduce cravings, If someone believes that it will, then they gain a confidence boost which cripple their cravings anyway... It's theoretical stuff and probably hasn't got much scientific data behind it.

Nicotine's high is caused by loads of neurotransmitters which affect the brain. When they become dependent on the highs, the brain craves more. The body doesn't NEED nicotine, the mind wants it. I thought it was ALL psychological!

But yes. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if surgery became an option some time soon to remove cravings for nicotine, or implanting a nicotine steady release or something. Perhaps ambiguous but still fairly obvious to me.

I guess it's not as in the middle as I though, but I still think it's fairly central...

much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1812. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 04:43:11 (Válasz Phalanxii #1811 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.08.31. 03:47:22
"What uniquely defines the identity of each element is the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom, also called the atomic number."

Yes, but the question didn't ask what uniquely defines the identity of each element. It asked what the most important difference between elements is. And from the standpoint of what bonds it can form, that is the number of electrons.
averageDentaio
Végzetúr poronty
22 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1813. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 08:04:57
It is true that electrons are the most important factor in chemical bonding.

However, like Phalanxii already mentioned, d-block elements have varying oxidation states and same element can exist with different numbers of electrons. This is true to many other elements as well, like metallic natrium (11 electrons) and ionic natrium (for example NaCl, 10 electrons)

How can the most important difference between elements be number of electrons if one element can have varying number of them?
A hozzászólást Dentaio módosította 2010.08.31. 09:51:21-kor
much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1814. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 13:58:19 (Válasz Dentaio #1813 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Dentaio - 2010.08.31. 08:04:57
However, like Phalanxii already mentioned, d-block elements have varying oxidation states and same element can exist with different numbers of electrons. This is true to many other elements as well, like metallic natrium (11 electrons) and ionic natrium (for example NaCl, 10 electrons)

How can the most important difference between elements be number of electrons if one element can have varying number of them?

The element Sodium (Na) has 11 electrons. Individual sodium atoms can be ionized, ending up with 10 electrons. But the element still has 11. So, in your example, metallic sodium and ionic sodium are not elements. They are instances of elements.

I'm not trying to prove that the number of electrons should be the correct answer. Just that it is a valid answer that can be supported by reasonable arguments. And therefore, the question should be deleted, since it has more than one correct answer.
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1815. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 15:36:05
I saw this question before and got it wrong last time but I thought that was me being stupid:
How long does a polar day last from sunrise to sunset?
6 months <-- marked as correct
1 day
1 year (not sure)
1 month (not sure)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_sun
A polar day (coming under the same category as the midnight sun) is when the sun doesn't set like normal. Midnight sun is called a polar day at extreme latitudes. Extreme latitudes means anything above or below the Arctic/Antarctic circle right?

Well the polar day varies. At the Arctic/Antarctic circle, it lasts approximately 20 hours. At the poles, it lasts about 186 days (6 months). Doesn't that mean there is more than 1 answer? Please rephrase the question to:

How long does a polar day last at the North Pole?
1 month
6 months
1 day
1 year

I wasn't talking about ions or ionization or anything to do with outside the transition metals. They all have varying oxidation states so it's an obvious flaw in the most important difference between elements. Perhaps the question could be rephrased to be clearer though (not sure it needs a delete).

Suggestion:
What uniquely defines the identity of every element?
The number of protons
The number of electrons
The number of neutrons
The number of isotopes

much likedImLittleJon
Végzetúr poronty
395 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1816. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 15:41:46 (Válasz Phalanxii #1815 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.08.31. 15:36:05
Perhaps the question could be rephrased to be clearer though (not sure it needs a delete).

Suggestion:
What uniquely defines the identity of every element?

I'd be happy with that. Unfortunately, the policy seems to be that edits are not allowed, only deletes.
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1817. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 17:22:36
Wow I didn't realize they couldn't be altered, just deleted...

Dave Grohl began his career as drummer for which band?
Velvet Revolver
Genesis
Nirvana <-- right
Iron Maiden

"Grohl began his music career in the 1980s as the drummer for several Washington, D.C.-area bands, including the hardcore punk band Scream. In 1990 he became the drummer for grunge group Nirvana."
Delete (if possible) or change to:

Dave Grohl is most famous for drumming for:
Velvet Revolver
Genesis
Nirvana
Iron Maiden

averageViridel
Végzetúr poronty
796 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1818. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 17:52:09
Ok... I just went from pissed to livid.

"Even old New York was once New Amsterdam" is a lyric from what They Might be Giants song?
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
Mumbai (Not Bombay)
St. Petersburg (Not Leningrad)
Ho Chi Minh City (Not Saigon)

This got rejected AGAIN (and I just re-posted it again, so just pass the damn thing) - in spite of the fact that:
Even if you don't know the lyric
Even if you don't know the band
Even id you are too stupid to copy & paste the question into Google
There is only one actual song on the list!!!
The rest are all made up!!!!!!!

But then I get these two:
Who fought "Radar Men From The Moon"?
- Never saw the show. The name of the show isn't mentioned. How can I answer this?

In Stephen King's "The Dark Half", what do the arrival of sparrows represent?
- How the FUCK do you answer this without reading the damn book???

The standards are so screwed up that the quiz is just a joke. It really is.
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1819. hozzászólás - 2010.08.31. 19:18:12
Bamboo is considered a type of...
Tree
Grass
Moss
Something else

What!? It's called a bamboo tree and considered a tree when it is actually a grass... fair enough, good question but the way the question is phrased means it could very easily be either tree or grass.
Delete it or rephrase to:
Contrary to popular belief, bamboo is actually a type of...
Tree
Grass
Moss
Fruit

Edit:
What animal has the most powerful bite?
Lion
Snapping turtle
Hyena
American alligator

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_animal_has_the_most_powerful_bite
Ambiguous and unknown.
Specify: Which of the following living animals has the most powerful bite?
A hozzászólást Phalanxii módosította 2010.08.31. 22:49:27-kor

much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1820. hozzászólás - 2010.09.01. 04:27:37 (Válasz Phalanxii #1819 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Phalanxii - 2010.08.31. 19:18:12
Bamboo is considered a type of...
Tree
Grass
Moss
Something else

What!? It's called a bamboo tree and considered a tree when it is actually a grass... fair enough, good question but the way the question is phrased means it could very easily be either tree or grass.
Delete it or rephrase to:
Contrary to popular belief, bamboo is actually a type of...
Tree
Grass
Moss
Fruit

Edit:
What animal has the most powerful bite?
Lion
Snapping turtle
Hyena
American alligator

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_animal_has_the_most_powerful_bite
Ambiguous and unknown.
Specify: Which of the following living animals has the most powerful bite?

It says which HAS the strongest bite. So it means animals currently existing.
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!