Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
2641. hozzászólás - 2011.03.25. 10:03:38
Who directed the widely renowned anime series "Neon Genesis Evangelion"?
Hideaki Anno
Hayao Miyazaki
Takeshi Kitano
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

What a lovely example of a general, non-specific, question!
Pontszám: 5
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2642. hozzászólás - 2011.03.25. 10:17:39
Who is John Madden ?
President of the United States
Ice Hockey Player
Football Player
World War Two Hero

Another example of USA-specific question that does not consider the rest of the world.
Please alter the correct answer to read "American Football Player".
(Unless he played Association Football or Rugby Football, of course.)
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2643. hozzászólás - 2011.03.25. 10:22:33
In which city was the roman poet Ovidius exile by the roman emperor Augustus ?
Constantinopol
Tomis
Sarajevo
Lyon

1. Please change the question to make sense: "To which city was the Roman poet Ovid exiled by the Roman Emperor Augustus"
2. Please change the answer 'Constantinopol' to "Constantinople"
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2644. hozzászólás - 2011.03.25. 10:24:36
What decade saw names first appear on the backs of NFL jerseys?
1960's
1970's
1990's
1980's

Yet another example of a minor provincial sport from USA. Folks, US Football is called that because it is in the USA. I know there are a few others who give it a go around the world, but this is very much a US-specific question. You'll never win our hearts and minds if you keep your heads firmly stuck in your own sand!
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2645. hozzászólás - 2011.03.26. 13:18:15
Who is the main god in German mythology?
Heimdall
Loki
Baldur
Odin <- marked as correct. (German name is Wotan or Woden)

Those are all Norse goods (or Norse names for the gods), but who cares that there is no single German mythology, but a number of different mythologies and various areas had different head gods, see this site for a nice description: http://www.paralumun.com/mythgerman.htm or a glossary here: http://www.terrapsych.com/gods2.html
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2646. hozzászólás - 2011.03.27. 12:11:01
"Contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation" What word does the following definition describe?
Covey
Omphaloskepsis *
Dulcify
Prevaricate

Er uhm? How did this get the grammar and spelling Check? The question does not make any sense, though it's not difficult to guess that the question should have been something like:
Which of these words can be described as "Contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation"?
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2647. hozzászólás - 2011.03.28. 04:25:32
what is the largest bird of prey?

ambiguous question. define "largest." length? wingspan? weight? answer varies depending.
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2648. hozzászólás - 2011.03.28. 17:46:41
Which one is a chemical change?
melting ice
chopping onions
boiling alcohol
exploding a fire cracker <--- marked as correct

boiling alcohol AND exploding a fire cracker both involve chemical change! 100% alcohol might be sligtly different but still a change!
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2649. hozzászólás - 2011.03.28. 18:10:15 (Válasz FriendlyCheese #2648 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.03.28. 17:46:41
Which one is a chemical change?
melting ice
chopping onions
boiling alcohol
exploding a fire cracker <--- marked as correct

boiling alcohol AND exploding a fire cracker both involve chemical change! 100% alcohol might be sligtly different but still a change!

"In a chemical change, bonds are broken and formed between different atoms."(1)
"A chemical bond is an attraction between atoms"(2)

In the first, second and third answer bonds between molecules are broken, such a change is usually refereed to as a change of state or physical change (3).
While it isn´t always easy to differentiate between a physical and chemical change, I would say that the processes in the question are clearly one or the other.

And this is actually not my question.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_change
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_bond
3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_change
Pontszám: 7.50
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2650. hozzászólás - 2011.03.28. 19:48:18 (Válasz Sbart #2649 hozzászólására.)
I bow to your superior knowledge, having flunked sciences!
Pontszám: 7.50
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2651. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 03:59:29 (Válasz manunkind #2647 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: manunkind - 2011.03.28. 04:25:32
what is the largest bird of prey?

ambiguous question. define "largest." length? wingspan? weight? answer varies depending.

From the answers available, condor is the largest no matter what you consider "largest"
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2652. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 04:05:09 (Válasz FriendlyCheese #2642 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.03.25. 10:17:39
Who is John Madden ?
President of the United States
Ice Hockey Player
Football Player
World War Two Hero

Another example of USA-specific question that does not consider the rest of the world.
Please alter the correct answer to read "American Football Player".
(Unless he played Association Football or Rugby Football, of course.)

It was agreed that any question will be treated according to the same rules regardless of origin or geografic limitations. So since someone can ask about a tennis, football or rugby player, then this type of question is considered ok. The fact most people outside the US do not know him is not an issue since most European football stars are not known in North America.
A hozzászólást stekkos módosította 2011.03.29. 04:05:33-kor
Pontszám: 3
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2653. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 04:49:29
Stekkos, here's a good post on the largest bird of prey ambiguity: http://www.naturalvisionsphoto.com/weblog2/2009/01/no-easy-answer.html.
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2654. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 07:38:42 (Válasz stekkos #2652 hozzászólására.)
Sorry, Stekkos, but that is a poor example! Most European Association Football stars are known world-wide (perhaps not so well in the USA, although I am sure you have heard of David beckham, who plays for LA Galaxy). They are made up of many many nationalities and are part of a global game. Giben that the USA has hosted the Associaltion Football World Cup Finals, I think it is fair that questions about this sport are considered Global.
US Football is entirely different. It is not global as is obvious in that the only major trophy that can be won is the Superbowl which is played between American franchises only. It is the equivalent of any national sporting trophy but NOT any INTERNATIONAL one.
Would you be happy with questions about players of Kabbadi? How about Shinty? Or Australian Rules Football? I could go on. Those are sports that are hugely high profile in the countries in which they are played but are not global and so have no place in a GENERAL knowledge quiz.

PS Research is great! Having said all that, I discover that John Madden was NEVER a professional player! So are you happy to have questions about people who played college sport here?

"A football standout in high school, he then played college football at Oregon[4] and the College of San Mateo before transferring to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, where he played both offense and defense for the Mustangs while earning a BS in Education in 1959 and an MA in Education in 1961. [5][6] He won all-conference honors at offensive tackle, and was a catcher on Cal Poly-SLO's baseball team. Madden was drafted in the 21st round (244th overall) by the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles in 1958, but a knee injury in training camp a year later ended his playing career before he ever got a chance to play."
much likedWtfakkeltjeFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
35 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2655. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 08:45:22 (Válasz MartinBV #2645 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: MartinBV - 2011.03.26. 13:18:15
Who is the main god in German mythology?
Heimdall
Loki
Baldur
Odin <- marked as correct. (German name is Wotan or Woden)

Those are all Norse goods (or Norse names for the gods), but who cares that there is no single German mythology, but a number of different mythologies and various areas had different head gods, see this site for a nice description: http://www.paralumun.com/mythgerman.htm or a glossary here: http://www.terrapsych.com/gods2.html

This is exactly the question and explanation that I wanted to post here. I'm glad it's been noticed. (Btw, at my school he was called "Wodan".)
A hozzászólást Wtfakkeltje módosította 2011.03.29. 08:45:43-kor
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2656. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 12:27:00
What was the original name of the largest city in Turkey?
Constantinople
Troy
Calcutta
Istanbul

Names in order: Lygos, Byzantion (becomes Byzantium), Augusta Antonina, New Rome, Constantinople, etc etc

So the correct answer is not offered at all!
A hozzászólást FriendlyCheese módosította 2011.03.29. 12:49:34-kor
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2657. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 14:38:04 (Válasz manunkind #2653 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: manunkind - 2011.03.29. 04:49:29
Stekkos, here's a good post on the largest bird of prey ambiguity: http://www.naturalvisionsphoto.com/weblog2/2009/01/no-easy-answer.html.

Ok so scientists are not sure what a bird of pray is. That can be accepted as making the question invalid. But you debated about what is largest, and at that comment, condor is largest at wingspan, wheight, overall size, etc. than all the other options. Therefore the question could still be corrected to which is the largest bird.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2658. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 14:44:01 (Válasz FriendlyCheese #2654 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.03.29. 07:38:42
Sorry, Stekkos, but that is a poor example! Most European Association Football stars are known world-wide (perhaps not so well in the USA, although I am sure you have heard of David beckham, who plays for LA Galaxy). They are made up of many many nationalities and are part of a global game. Giben that the USA has hosted the Associaltion Football World Cup Finals, I think it is fair that questions about this sport are considered Global.
US Football is entirely different. It is not global as is obvious in that the only major trophy that can be won is the Superbowl which is played between American franchises only. It is the equivalent of any national sporting trophy but NOT any INTERNATIONAL one.
Would you be happy with questions about players of Kabbadi? How about Shinty? Or Australian Rules Football? I could go on. Those are sports that are hugely high profile in the countries in which they are played but are not global and so have no place in a GENERAL knowledge quiz.

PS Research is great! Having said all that, I discover that John Madden was NEVER a professional player! So are you happy to have questions about people who played college sport here?

"A football standout in high school, he then played college football at Oregon[4] and the College of San Mateo before transferring to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, where he played both offense and defense for the Mustangs while earning a BS in Education in 1959 and an MA in Education in 1961. [5][6] He won all-conference honors at offensive tackle, and was a catcher on Cal Poly-SLO's baseball team. Madden was drafted in the 21st round (244th overall) by the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles in 1958, but a knee injury in training camp a year later ended his playing career before he ever got a chance to play."

Leaving Madden aside, who by the way made some pc game titles also , the whole debate about what is general knowleadge and especially US vs rest of the world has been exausted a year or so back. It is agreed US football is not a global sport but still popular enough to accept it. It is the same as why i cannot ask about the presidents of my country in the same way US presidents appear in the quiz. They are not global presidents but are known to enough people to justify the question.
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2659. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 14:53:53 (Válasz stekkos #2658 hozzászólására.)
Leaders of countries are global information! I have no worries about that. Would you accept questions about minor government officials? I guess not.

Anyway, I have set a question about Winners of the English Field Hockey Championships back in the 1980s and I will be amused if it is accepted but furious if it is not as it is comparable to the winners of Superbowl XV, for which there is already a question!
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2660. hozzászólás - 2011.03.29. 15:41:10
And there it is!!

Who were the English Hockey Mens Senior Champions in the 1980-81 season?

Luton
Middlesex
Kent
Buckinghamshire

The question is valued as "Bad, incorrect question"!
According to evaluators only a special group of people might know the answer.

I put this in as there is a question which asks "Who won Superbowl XV". That really means "Who won the American Mens Senior US Football Championship in the 1980-81 season". Why is that question acceptable, concerning a national champinship winner from 30 years age but this question, about a sport played in far more countries than US Football, is unacceptable? Both are equally easy to look up on the internet but mine is more relevant to General Knowledge than the other.
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőRésföld - a HKK legújabb kiegészítője