Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
2981. hozzászólás - 2011.06.26. 09:01:28
Alchool smells a lot, but what is the type of that smell i cannot find. HELP!

Chrophyll is the substance which makes the whole photosynthesis cycle possible. The petrol-engine comparison is not really the same here as a chloroplast would be useless without chlorofyll. A car engine only needs petrol as a fuel, it cannot move without it but you will not call it a uselles machine and throw it away.

Dominica replaced Dominican Republic, i guess the author got the 2 confused

New York question: Added population to question

Language question: out of my league, will try to reasearch unless some other evaluator has more knowleadge on it
A hozzászólást stekkos módosította 2011.06.26. 09:01:39-kor
Pontszám: 5
much likedChaoticGeminiNő
Végzetúr poronty
583 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2982. hozzászólás - 2011.06.26. 22:22:34 (Válasz stekkos #2981 hozzászólására.)
After the first time I got the alcohol/bouquet question wrong, I looked for a little bit on the internet and could not find anything to support it as the correct answer. It's not something I know much about, so I didn't raise an objection.

The language question: First, let me say, "whoo-hoo." Those 3 credit hours in an anthropology class back in the day FINALLY has a use. MartinBV raised the same question back on 2010.09.22. I, too, would agree with eukar. As the question is written both Greek and Germanic would be correct. As he pointed out "germanic" is also an odd choice here since it doesn't fit as a language, but a group of languages. An isolate language is a "group" of languages that only consist of itself; a language with no genealogical relationship with other languages. Other isolates: Sumerian, Basque, Coche, Movima ...
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2983. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 09:59:16
What of the following is not a neighbour country of Luxembourg?
France
Germany
The Netherlands
Belgium

Who of these four individuals has NOT been singer for Iron Maiden?
Bruce Dicckinson
Paul Di'Anno
Rob Halford
Blaze Bayley

What is the deal with odd-one out questions? Are they allowed or should they be removed?
A hozzászólást Sbart módosította 2011.06.27. 10:04:55-kor
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2984. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 10:09:07
The IIHF is the international association for what sport?
Baseball
Football/Soccer
Basketball
Hockey <--Marked as correct

The IIHF, International Ice Hockey Federation, is the federation for ice-hockey and in-line hockey.
Hockey is a family of sports that includes ice-hockey, but also Field Hockey which has the HIF (International Hockey Federation) as its international association.
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2985. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 12:40:39 (Válasz ChaoticGemini #2982 hozzászólására.)
About the alcohol/bouquet question:
I decided to do a little research on this on. I believed it was correct for all alcoholic beverages, but it turns out that is not so.

I'll start with a few quotes from the web

"Bouquet ( /buːˈkeɪ/, French: [bu.kɛ]) : The layers of smells and aromas perceived in a wine"

"Bouquet, bottle bouquet
As a technical term, the smells that develop with age in the wine bottle, as opposed to "aroma," the smells associated with the fruit."

A long list of quotes

Reading further leads me to the conclusion that bouquet only applies to the smell of red wine, and according to some sources only to the smell of aged red wine.
A hozzászólást MartinBV módosította 2011.06.27. 12:41:09-kor
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2986. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 13:47:46
Just had this one again, and it's still wrong

What is a bustard?
A statue of a person from the waist up, usually with no arms
A man of unknown parentage
An Australian bird *
A North American carrion bird

A bustard is a family of birds that lives all over the old world and also in australia. The Australian Bustard is also found outside Australia
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2987. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 14:35:44 (Válasz MartinBV #2986 hozzászólására.)
Changed bustard question again, i think i either forget to press the save button or it just ignores me

IIHF correct answer changed to ice hockey

Odd one out is ok, if a lot of one kind start flooding the quiz (like asking which country is not a...) then are rejected as already in database.

As for the language question, CG please correct it as you see fit since you have more expirience on the subject

Alchool question should be removed? What is the final verdict?
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2988. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 16:45:47 (Válasz stekkos #2987 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.27. 14:35:44

Odd one out is ok, if a lot of one kind start flooding the quiz (like asking which country is not a...) then are rejected as already in database.

The why it this "- Odd-one-out questions and questions about capitals are filtered. We have enough questions about capitals, thank you very much. Odd-one-out questions are always ambiguous, because any of the answers can be accepted from a certain perspective. Getting back to filtering, if your question is rejected, please don’t submit it again using spelling mistakes, because it will be rejected as well. Please accept that the system will not accept it. And please also note that any questions containing vulgar/offensive words are also rejected." still in the http://forum.doomlord.net/index.php/topic,14.0?
much likedWtfakkeltjeFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
35 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2989. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 18:43:18
Which of these characters does NOT appear in the game Diablo II ?
Barbarian
Rogue
Sorceress
Paladin

Rogue is not a playable class, but rogues do appear in Diablo II! The very start of the game is at the "Rogue Encampment". So I'd say the people in the encampment are rogues --> rogues appear in Diablo II.
The question would be correct if it was about playable classes rather than appearance.
very populareukar
Végzetúr poronty
104 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2990. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 21:07:49
After getting back from the Moon, what did Neil Armstrong have to do?
Give proof that he was really on the moon
Spend 3 weeks in quarantine
Cut off his pinky which got frozen in the space
Jump in the air as high as he could so everyone can see he can not jump as high as on the moon

According to wiki, the quarantine duration was 18 days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong#Return_to_Earth
I would suggest to change this to "several days" or "more than half a month".
very populareukar
Végzetúr poronty
104 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2991. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 21:21:23
What game was NOT created by Sid Meier?
Master of magic
Pirates!
*Sim city
Civilization

Could not find mention of Sif Meier at the game page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic or mention of the game at Sid Meier page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier

Can anyone find a proof?
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2992. hozzászólás - 2011.06.27. 22:03:56
What is airspeed measured in?
Knots <- marked as correct.
Amps
Kilometers per Hour
Miles per Hour

Only one here that is not used to measure airspeed is amps. In aviation it is measured in Knots, but for the convenience of their passengers, most commercial airliners will also display it in mph and/or kmh.
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2993. hozzászólás - 2011.06.28. 10:45:34
Which set of words are all homonyms of each other?
ran, raan, rann
rain, ran, reign
wren, ran, run
rain, reign, rein <--Marked as correct

"In linguistics, a homonym is, in the strict sense, one of a group of words that share the same spelling and the same pronunciation but have different meanings. Thus homonyms are simultaneously homographs (words that share the same spelling, irrespective of their pronunciation) and homophones (words that share the same pronunciation, irrespective of their spelling)."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonym)
So according to that the answer above is a set of homophones, not homonyms.

Other sources are less strict (http://www.editingandwritingservices.com/homonyms.html) although Merriam-Webster online dictionary supports the notion that the words have to be both spelled and pronounced the same to be homonyms (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homonym).

I'm no linguist, but to me it looks like it could be slightly different between different languages (i.e. American vs British English) and/or that the definition have changed over time. Anyhow, the question looks a bit ambiguous to me.
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2994. hozzászólás - 2011.06.28. 10:50:49
Which country's flag is called - "Union Jack"?
Australia
Great Britain
The USA
Canada

Not strictly true! The flag of the UK is the "Union Flag". It is only referred to as the "Union Jack" when it is flown at sea.
popularFriendlyCheese
Végzetúr poronty
239 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2995. hozzászólás - 2011.06.28. 10:59:55 (Válasz stekkos #2981 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.26. 09:01:28
Alchool smells a lot, but what is the type of that smell i cannot find.

Idézet: eukar - 2011.06.25. 21:56:57
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.06.25. 17:21:41
alcohol has little or no smell

Are you joking?

Oh dear! You seem to be confused between the smell of alcohol and the smell of drinks containing alcohol (or the smell of those who have consumed alcohol).

Alcohol is colourless and odorless. Drinks containing alcohol contain many different characteristics that include all those smells of which you are speaking. In a bottle of wine, for example, there may be alcohol of 15%, water content of 84.5% and just 0.5% of the things that give the wine its colur, smell and flavour.

If the question asked what water smelled of, what would you say? Would you say 'oranges' because it smells of orange when cordial is added? NO!

The question asked about alcohol, not about alcoholic drinks.
A hozzászólást FriendlyCheese módosította 2011.06.28. 11:13:45-kor
very populareukar
Végzetúr poronty
104 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2996. hozzászólás - 2011.06.28. 14:40:23 (Válasz FriendlyCheese #2995 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.06.28. 10:59:55

Idézet: eukar - 2011.06.25. 21:56:57
Idézet: FriendlyCheese - 2011.06.25. 17:21:41
alcohol has little or no smell

Are you joking?

Oh dear! You seem to be confused between the smell of alcohol and the smell of drinks containing alcohol (or the smell of those who have consumed alcohol).

Oh, dear. I work with alcohols a lot, so believe me, most of them smell.
Ethanol - which is major alcoholic part of drinks - has very sharp smell. Try vodka - it should contain nothing except ethanol and water. Is it odorless? If yes, don't buy vodka there next time! (oh, I found its description on wiki - not sharp, but "Alcohols have an odor that is often described as “biting” and as “hanging” in the nasal passages.")
As for wine, its smell is not only due to ethanol, but is modified by other "0.5% of the things". Trust me, many of these "other things" chemically are alcohols (although it is known that esters and thiols are odorants providing flexibility in composing).

And my comment was not only about the quiz question itself, but about your reply on "odorless alcohol".
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2997. hozzászólás - 2011.06.28. 14:41:46 (Válasz FriendlyCheese #2995 hozzászólására.)
The rest of the questions i will see later when i have time but please stop referring to alchool as odorless!!!! Pure alchool odor is very strong, if you dont believe me get one from a pharmacy and take a sniff. Not too deep mind you
A hozzászólást stekkos módosította 2011.06.28. 14:44:25-kor
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2998. hozzászólás - 2011.06.28. 18:37:46
Which of these large volcanoes does NOT reside on an island?
Mount Vesuvius
Mount Loa
Mount Fuji <- marked as correct
Mount Krakatau

Last I checked Mt Fuji was located in Japan, on the island of Honshu...
Pontszám: 7.50
much likedChaoticGeminiNő
Végzetúr poronty
583 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
2999. hozzászólás - 2011.06.29. 01:53:05 (Válasz stekkos #2987 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: stekkos - 2011.06.27. 14:35:44
As for the language question, CG please correct it as you see fit since you have more expirience on the subject

Ok, here is what I came up with to keep a similar correct answer:
Which language is not an isolate language?
Korean
German
Albanian
Basque
likedGeminiNő
Végzetúr poronty
60 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3000. hozzászólás - 2011.06.29. 02:51:26
According to tradition the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden was an apple, but what does the bible say?
It says it was a fig.
It says it was a pomegranate.
It says it was an apple.
It doesn't specify it.

Doesn't this depend on which version of the bible you are reading?
HKK - Zén minikiegészítő: Zén Legendái: A sötétség gyermekeiAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!