Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
very popularetinixa
Végzetúr poronty
25 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
1921. hozzászólás - 2010.09.22. 04:54:49
The question "when was the toothbrush invented" is erroneous. The answers are all given for the 1700s..when a simple wikipedia page tells all.

The first toothbrush recorded in history was made in 3000 BC.

Later in 1223 a Zen master in China recorded he saw monks brushing their teeth with a simple instrument.

The first proof of appearance in English society was 1690.

Its apparent that the author of this quiz confused invention with mass-production, as all the answers are centered around that date. However he even gets that wrong and sets the answer at 1770, again quite confusing himself, since the date of mass-production was 1780, and the "inventor" started a riot in 1770, which led to imprisonment, which led to introspection, which led to the realization that his teeth, like all Londoners teeth, were very very dirty, and he should do something about it before his, and probably notably his wife's, fell out.
A hozzászólást etinixa módosította 2010.09.22. 05:11:57-kor
Pontszám: 5
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1922. hozzászólás - 2010.09.22. 19:05:50
Which language is not an isolate language?
Germanic *
Greek
Albanian
Korean
Actually only Korean is a true isolate, Greek and Albanian are relaive isolates, meaning they belong to language group but not to any established branch.

People with this haircolor usually have the lowest number of scalp hairs per square inch.
Blond *
Brunette
Red
Black
Wrong!! Blondes have the highest number of scalp hairs per square inch, redheads the lowest!
everyone's favoriteWormtailFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
45 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1923. hozzászólás - 2010.09.23. 07:49:03
When was Rome founded?
753*

Exactly 753 BC !!!
Each data means Anno Domini!
ImGaviusKlugge
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1924. hozzászólás - 2010.09.23. 15:12:02
If we at, like the song says,"the dawing of Aquarius", what would that make our present era or cylestrial cycle be in?
gemini
cancer
taurus
pisces
I had to reread this question several times to figure out what it meant, I have had questions rejected over minor spelling mistakes, so I wonder how this got passed.

How many wise men gave presents to baby Jesus?
3 *
Nope, the Bible doesn't say, and no other source exists.
averageDoomDudeRuby1
Végzetúr poronty
11 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1925. hozzászólás - 2010.09.24. 15:18:56
What is a collection of crows known as?
Flock
Murder <-- right

A group of crows is called a flock, muster or storytelling of crows.
Apparently a murder of crows is right too, but it's ambiguous, no matter which is the official definition.
averageZero85
Végzetúr poronty
1 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1926. hozzászólás - 2010.09.24. 18:17:22
Who invented the first electric vacuum cleaner?
Hubert Booth

In reality his used a petrol engine and was patented in 1901.
John Thurman invented the motorised vacuum cleaner in 1899.
The first electrically driven vacuum cleaner was patented by Corinne Dufour in December 1900,
it was called "carpet sweeper and dust gatherer".
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1927. hozzászólás - 2010.09.24. 18:18:46
Which of the following is not a capital city?
Beirut
Bangkok
Bangalore <- marked as correct, but it is the capital of the Indian state of Karnataka.
Belgrade

If the question had been "Which of the following is not a national capital city?" it would have been correct.
much likedstekkos
Végzetúr poronty
1356 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1928. hozzászólás - 2010.09.24. 19:44:37 (Válasz MartinBV #1927 hozzászólására.)
Martin, it is agreed only national capitals will be acepted so it is ok without specifying. Btw, good comments on the wise men and that aquarious one. Very few people know that there were not 3 wise men, but rather an unknown number since the Bible does not say
likedMartinBV
Végzetúr poronty
524 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1929. hozzászólás - 2010.09.25. 10:41:41
What is a Tomato?
Flower
Tree
Fruit
Vegetables

The trouble with this question is that Botanically a tomato is fruit, while it culinary and legally in the US is classified as a vegetable.
irritatingrok3269
Végzetúr poronty
45 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1930. hozzászólás - 2010.09.25. 14:33:37
Who obtained the Nobel prize for Chemistry?
V. Havel
A. G. Bell
A. Nobel
J. Heyrovsky

How about a date here, huh ??? Give us something to go by!!
You cannot honestly expect us to believe that only 1 person has won the Nobel prize for chemistry in the history of the Nobel Prize!!!!!

The Evaluators, once again, need to get their collective heads out of their asses and do their jobs properly!!!!!!!
much likedPhalanxii
Végzetúr poronty
202 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1931. hozzászólás - 2010.09.25. 19:12:39
haw many teeth are there minimum in a dental ceramique bridge ?
2<--right

Wow. There's actually a person out there which thought this wasn't uninteresting lexical knowledge?!

Anyway, I think it's ambiguous too. A bridge in dentistry seems to be something to prevent teeth distorting when one comes out. So I thought it would be 3, meaning at least 1 in the middle of two others (since 1 wasn't listed). But I may be confused, but if I'm confused then that means it's ambiguous. Not only that, 'haw' is a spelling mistake.

DELETE

rok I think you're being unfair on the evaluators. The question is fine really, it would just be easier for us if there was a date on it. The fact is, I found out that answer to be J. Heyrovsky in under 2 minutes, which is well under the 5 minute rule so the evaluator correctly accepted this question I think.
Your very own English Doomlord Encyclopedia!

Have you fought an epic monster recently? Upload the name and HP here!
http://doomlord.wikia.com/epic_monument
very popularetinixa
Végzetúr poronty
25 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1932. hozzászólás - 2010.09.26. 01:33:34
"In what continent Toronto and Buenos Aires are?"

1. The tepid grammar of this statement should have been corrected.

2. The "correct" answer is America. There is no Continent of America, its North America and South America.
everyone's favoriteabatos
Végzetúr poronty
3 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
What is Tomato?
1933. hozzászólás - 2010.09.26. 10:45:59
Answer in Quiz is " Fruit"....Sorry but in my country and in every school we learn that Tomato is in group of Vegetables.....I think that many quiz questions are very,very bad and many interesting questions are off, becouse of some little grammar or spelling errrors, also we have many questions which are interseting only for some countries or regions...and that is reason why many people don't write new queatios nay more.
Best Wishes
Pontszám: 7.50
averageEstrilNő
Végzetúr poronty
12 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: What is Tomato?
1934. hozzászólás - 2010.09.26. 11:55:10 (Válasz abatos #1933 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: abatos - 2010.09.26. 10:45:59
Answer in Quiz is " Fruit"....Sorry but in my country and in every school we learn that Tomato is in group of Vegetables.....I think that many quiz questions are very,very bad and many interesting questions are off, becouse of some little grammar or spelling errrors, also we have many questions which are interseting only for some countries or regions...and that is reason why many people don't write new queatios nay more.
Best Wishes

A Tomato is a fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TomatoTomato

Seems your school needs an update

So does the url BB tag of the forum..
A hozzászólást Estril módosította 2010.09.26. 11:56:40-kor
everyone's favoriteabatos
Végzetúr poronty
3 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1935. hozzászólás - 2010.09.26. 12:14:51
Tomat
Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?
The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example.

As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits, such as tomatoes or bean pods, may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The term 'vegetable' is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term 'fruit' may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example.

So, the answer to the question is that a tomato is technically the fruit of the tomato plant, but it's used as a vegetable in cooking.

Well,you are techicaly wright,but this is a sample of very bad questions,becouse it makes confusion
P.S. I think that my school is good, very good,becouse there I learn to be polite
very popularetinixa
Végzetúr poronty
25 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1936. hozzászólás - 2010.09.26. 21:10:54
Who is known as the father of sociology?

The quiz gives the correct answer as Auguste Comte, but there are too many schools of thought in this area..I don't want to get into all the details and make this post too long, but the quiz doesn't name Emile Durkheim for example, who could be equal, and Karl Marx could be said to have the greatest effect on the world's population at large.

Long post short, this question has no specific answer and where you live or were taught is what you will "know" in this instance. Suggest the question be removed because of its extreme ambiguity.
very popularetinixa
Végzetúr poronty
25 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1937. hozzászólás - 2010.09.26. 21:16:59 (Válasz abatos #1935 hozzászólására.)
If the tomatoe is technically a fruit, falls into the scientific category of fruit, cannot be named among vegetables because of certain qualities that MAKE IT A FRUIT....it doesn't matter what you do with it, how you chop it up, whether you blend it or fry it or absorb it through your epidermis..ITS A FRUIT.

This question is used in so many quizzes and so many tests its become a classic to trip ignorami on. It epitomizes the "everyone believes its this, when its actually that" answer.

Its a very good question, please ignore his request. Its one thing to write a bad quiz, but quite another to question a truly epic one!
Pontszám: 6.50
averageDoomDudeRuby1
Végzetúr poronty
11 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1938. hozzászólás - 2010.09.27. 21:37:39
Who was the first president of the United States of America?
George Washington<-- right
John Hanson

Ambiguous, John Hanson is the first president to spend a year in office so is sometimes referred to as the first president. I did get the question right, but I do think it's a little misleading.
averagedaktarus
Végzetúr poronty
19 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1939. hozzászólás - 2010.09.27. 22:20:24
What is exactly a blizzard?

Heavy blowing snowfall
Strong winds and low temperature
Heavy blowing snowfall, strong wind and low temperature
Heavy blowing snowfall and low temperature

snow doesnt blow it falls and snow is normally accompanied by low temperature

this question has 3 possible answers
averageSacrosanctFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
55 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
1940. hozzászólás - 2010.09.28. 00:12:15
just got this question that needs to be deleted ASAP...

"What is punishable if attempted, but not punishable if commited?"

the correct answer to the question was

Suicide

uhh OK.. what country is that in that if you attempt to kill yourself it is punishable by law? Because IT IS NOT WHERE I LIVE THANK YOU!!
so delete this question as it is NOT the same in every country!!
I am the Dragon!!! Before you you RIGHTLY Tremble!
Dobókocka - a sokoldalú kiegészítőAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!