Szerző
Topic neve: Quiz errors
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
Re: Quiz errors
3381. hozzászólás - 2012.06.25. 04:12:25
"On the Origin of Species By Means of Natural Selection, or, the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life"

i'm finding it both with and without the "On":

http://www.amazon.com/On-Origin-Species-Charles-Darwin/dp/1619491303/ref=sr_1_3? ie=UTF8&qid=1340597639&sr=8-3&keywords=origin+of+species
Pontszám: 5
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3382. hozzászólás - 2012.06.25. 16:28:00
The Simpson family comes from which city?

the world is full of Simpson families. the question is too vague. if they mean on the show of the same name, they should say so.
likedmanunkind
Végzetúr mester
959 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3383. hozzászólás - 2012.06.27. 18:20:33
"Which country currently has the highest per capita production of sugar?"

ambiguous date. when was the question written? needs a year.
public enemyEjeromeFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
5 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3384. hozzászólás - 2012.06.28. 09:37:35
I just wanted to say that I love this thread! This is a collection of great answers and questions and I learned so much by reading it, it's amazing! Please keep up with collecting all of these! I would get you all flowers delivered by serenata to say thank you, because this is so useful and I bet you would be happy to get a small gift?
Pontszám: 3
very popularJohannes Buckbeak
Végzetúr poronty
105 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3385. hozzászólás - 2012.06.28. 09:50:12
Sorry I didn't copy the exact question - I didn't realise it was a problem until I answered it. It is something like "Which statement is not true about DNA?" and one of the answers was "It is encoded uniquely for every individual". I chose this because it is not true - identical twins share identical DNA. However this was marked wrong - the "correct" answer was something like "It becomes inactive after birth" - which is also untrue. So you have two possible valid answers, and this question is ambiguous. If you want to rescue it you will need to deal with the issue of identical twins and unique DNA.
Végzetúr poronty
105 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3386. hozzászólás - 2012.06.28. 10:06:20 (Válasz ChaoticGemini #3376 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: ChaoticGemini - 2012.06.08. 09:46:17
I think I found the question: Which of Jupiter's moons are most likely to have life on them?

Io is marked as correct, but from what I read, it has the heat and energy, but lacks water for life.

Europa, was long thought to be a possibility, but I found recent reports claiming that the ocean may be too acidic to support life.

I changed the answer to Europa, for now, but would love to hear from someone more versed in the subject to know if the question is valid at all.

I saw this question a little while ago, and in my view it is not a valid question at all. "Most likely" is a matter of opinion - we don't really know what conditions were responsible for the start of life on earth, or even if it was inevitable or an amazing fluke. Religious people would say that it depends on what God decides. Maybe Jupiter itself has life in the form of intelligent gases. Whatever your position, there really is no correct answer to this question - it is more of a subect for a doctoral thesis than a four-way multiple choice. I'd say you should just remove it.
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3387. hozzászólás - 2012.06.28. 10:38:14 (Válasz Johannes Buckbeak #3385 hozzászólására.)
No idea about the question (and it is likely to be a bad one), but identical twins do not actually have identical DNA. At the time of the separation of the fertilized egg into two (producing the "twins") the DNA are identical. After this, random mutation means that the DNA of the twins when born will actually not be identical (although the differences in the DNA is unlikely to produce any real differences). This gives rise to such effects as sometimes one of two identical twins develop a disease with a genetic disposition although the other identical twin does not. The same random mutation effect also gives rise to a certain degree of mosaic, the effect that sometimes different cells within the same body have slightly different DNA (although the differences might be in the "scrap" part).

http://phys.org/news122300048.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081001073750AANpVyQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28genetics%29
A hozzászólást Sbart módosította 2012.06.28. 12:29:27-kor
much likedDancerFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
200 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3388. hozzászólás - 2012.06.28. 12:14:17
Not sure how this one got in, "Who was the largest hun king?"
Not even sure what this means, Largest? tallest? fattest?
Do Huns even have kings?!!!
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3389. hozzászólás - 2012.06.28. 12:28:35 (Válasz Dancer #3388 hozzászólására.)
The Huns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

Attila (which I suppose was the answer to the question) is refereed to as a "king", although the Hun language has not survived and it does not appear that it is know what the Huns themselves called their "big guy in charge of everything".

"What was the name of the greatest king of the Huns" would probably be a better wording of the question.
Végzetúr poronty
105 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3390. hozzászólás - 2012.06.30. 21:37:35
In England, a 'blind road' is?

Answer given is "A dead end street"

Well sorry, I have lived in England all my 56 years, and I make my living as a writer, and I have never heard this term spoken or seen it wrtten. It's possible that it is used this way in some small area or maybe it's a long-obsolete form, but it absolutely is not the standard English term - that would be cul-de-sac or dead end. The only thing that comes close is a "blind alley" - which does indeed refer to a dead end, but it is almost always used metaphorically nowadays - "your argument is taking you up a blind alley". But "blind road" is just not a term in common use in England.
Végzetúr poronty
105 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3391. hozzászólás - 2012.06.30. 21:41:12
"What is the possible death of Tutankhamun?"

"What is the possible cause of the death of Tutankhamun?" - or maybe better "What is thought to be the likely cause of the death of Tutankhamun?"
much likedDancerFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
200 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3392. hozzászólás - 2012.07.03. 14:22:16
Question- What kind of animal was Toto?
?????????????????????????????????????
I had a tortoise called Toto.........................................

Surely a little vague.
everyone's favoriteThe Bear
Végzetúr poronty
20 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3393. hozzászólás - 2012.07.05. 06:06:23
Question: What is the National language of New Zealand ?
Wrong answer! The correct answer is: Sign Language / Maori / English.
According to Wikipedia:
Official language(s) English (95.9%), Māori (4.2%), NZ Sign Language (0.6%)
National language English (98%)!!!
I think, there is mistake in correct answer!
Végzetúr poronty
105 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3394. hozzászólás - 2012.07.05. 19:53:49
What animated character said this "Too Infinity and Beyond."?

"To Infinity and Beyond".
everyone's favoriteThe Bear
Végzetúr poronty
20 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3395. hozzászólás - 2012.07.09. 10:10:25
Question:
Relative to size, what is the strongest muscle in the body? Correct answer is tongue...

according to wiki: The masseter is the strongest muscle in the body. Many say it is the tongue, however, this is an organ.

Where is the truth??
Végzetúr poronty
105 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3396. hozzászólás - 2012.07.09. 18:01:17
Which of the following is real royalty?

The answer given as correct is the Duke of Wellington (the other choices are fictional characters or jazz musicians. But the Duke of Wellington is not Royalty either, so the answer is wrong. Maybe "Which of these is real nobility" or something like that.
A hozzászólást Johannes Buckbeak módosította 2012.07.09. 19:44:09-kor
much likedTheLion
Végzetúr poronty
123 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3397. hozzászólás - 2012.07.09. 20:03:25
The highest scoring area on a regulation dart board is?

60 marked as correct but 20 is also in the answers and perhaps based on the text of the question is a more appropriate correct answer. 60 is the highest score but to get 60 you need a "triple" 20. Therefore the answers are ambiguous at least. The question needs to be reworded - technically all of the answers given are incorrect and the correct answer would be the triple ring of the 20.
everyone's favoriteAxe L
Végzetúr poronty
54 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3398. hozzászólás - 2012.07.13. 19:57:41
How old was moses when he freed the Israelites from Egypt?

Moses is the name. Letter "M" should be capital.
much likedChaoticGeminiNő
Végzetúr poronty
583 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3399. hozzászólás - 2012.07.13. 21:42:33 (Válasz Johannes Buckbeak #3390 hozzászólására.)
Idézet: Johannes Buckbeak - 2012.06.30. 21:37:35
In England, a 'blind road' is?

Answer given is "A dead end street"

Well sorry, I have lived in England all my 56 years, and I make my living as a writer, and I have never heard this term spoken or seen it wrtten. It's possible that it is used this way in some small area or maybe it's a long-obsolete form, but it absolutely is not the standard English term - that would be cul-de-sac or dead end. The only thing that comes close is a "blind alley" - which does indeed refer to a dead end, but it is almost always used metaphorically nowadays - "your argument is taking you up a blind alley". But "blind road" is just not a term in common use in England.

I've been sitting on this one for some time. When I came upon it in a hunt I thought it was odd, but not being English, I figured it was a term I wasn't familiar with and moved on. The question is sitting at 76.52% correct. I have heard "blind alley" and simply changed the question to that for now. I'm happy to readdress this one if someone has further input.
much likedSbartFérfi
Végzetúr poronty
879 hozzászólás
Profil megtekintése
3400. hozzászólás - 2012.07.19. 14:42:06
At what temperature is the triple point of water (Water can exist as a solid, liquid or gas)?
0.1 DegC
0.11 DegC
1 DegC
0.01 DegC <- Marked as correct

the problem with this question is twofold:
1) At the triple point solid, liquid, and gas coexists in thermal equilibrium (not or)
2) Water is some complex s**t, and actually has several triple points, partly due to the different types of ice that exists.

I would suggest chaining the to:
At what temperature is the most wellknown triple point of water (Water can exist as a solid, liquid and gas)?
0.1 DegC
0.11 DegC
1 DegC
0.01 DegC (<- Marked as correct)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_%28molecule%29#Triple_point
HKK - Zén minikiegészítő: Zén Legendái: A sötétség gyermekeiAz Idő Kereke tovább forog! Megjelent a befejező trilógia utolsó része!